Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Dry Sump Register - Page 15 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Dry Sump Register

LOTUSMAN33

Could someone have gone to the trouble of rebuilding a wet sump to dry sump spec? Definitely something to check with Andy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Or it could be a car that re-writes the records? Everything about it seems correct....its only that it conflicts with what the factory thinks re. chassis numbers. 

I dont know why anyone would go to the considerable lengths to change from a wet sump to dry.

The notes that came with my Certificate had what can be considered a disclaimer in that the info is based upon what it currently known.

7 hours ago, LJR said:

Could someone have gone to the trouble of rebuilding a wet sump to dry sump spec? Definitely something to check with Andy

Unlikely but very plausible that Bell & Colvill requested the factory to build it as a dry sump. Definitely worth an email to Andy Graham about this, mentioning that its a D/S and did he realise this when supplying the cert?

Update 

so engine number matches build sheet from lotus. I’ve spoken to south west Lotus who rebuilt the engine in 2003 to the tune of £4600.00 they have always known it as a dry sump.  The chief engineer who is rebuilding another dry sump today says a wet can’t become a dry fundamentally different engine and why would you? He has another dry sump in the garage who has had one owner but lotus says it’s a wet sump so records must be scetchy at lotus. So I’m comfortable with car being correct. Andy grayham says it’s foggy when the changeover happend could be middle 82. Non AC cars became wet sump before AC cars. AC cars were still built as wet until they sorted it out. Mines AC from factory. 

Jay

Sorry AC cars built as dry. 

How often do people change their belts? And what do you do for your oil pump belt. Mines more than 6 years old south west lotus centre couldn’t source one as no longer available. I have found a company who may be able to make some if enough interest is raised. Also another company who will make 5 stud compomotive replicas if we can get 5 orders. 

Merry Christmas. 

I think the size difference is very subtle, there were also different pulley sizes. Its because there is no tensioner, so in the factory they would have been selected for each engine. 

Easy to change if you are doing cam belt.

• 5 weeks later...

Scrumptious. Truly scrumptious.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

Just heard back from Andy Graham re 0953. It is 2nd of 4 cars in White with Brown full leather and roof stereo. The 7th non Essex UK Turbo and 28th out of 35 1980 Model year cars.

• Like 1

Have found a company who may make dry sump oil pump pulley belts for those sizes not available any more. Problem is how can I count how big mine is can you do it on ramp or do I have to take belt off? If so is it engine out?  J

I have a new belt which I could measure. Its a +2/+3. 

I'm not sure how much bigger that is than standard? The pulleys are -0.010", std and +0.010" 

The original belts were  -9/-8,     -7/-6/-5,     -4/-3/-2,     -1/std/+1,     +2/+3,     +4/+5/+6,     +7/+8/+9    and     +10/+11/+12

:) 

It's getting there......

I have a new belt too. But don’t know what my engine needs or what your + and - numbers mean is it numbers of teeth on the belt. Is there any way of looking too see what I need. All belts changed by sw Lotus in 2013 except oil pump as was not available. So nervous about driving it. Only had it 9 months. Can I see belt if it’s on a ramp ?  

The oil pump is at the bottom of the engine so is fairly easy to see from under the car.

I don't know what the + and - represent. It could be teeth, fractions of an inch or something else. 
The belts came in differing lengths due to slight variations in the fitting of the pump in relation to the crank pulley.

The pump pulley also came in 3 different sizes. They are identified by no dot, one dot or 2 dots, one dot is standard the other 2 are undersize or oversize by 0.010".

:) 

It's getting there......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

0953 is now for sale. Hopefully someone on here would like to take it on before it heads to eBay at the weekend