Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Dry Sump Register - Page 30 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Dry Sump Register

LOTUSMAN33

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi 

I am the owner of Vpw941x. I bought it from Matt a few years ago and made a complete Restauration, but keeping everything as it was, even the wheels where one is silver the other 3 gold. Would be interested in the history of the car. Thank you and regards from Austria

Dan

• Like 1

Hello Dan .

Nice to have you on here and good to see a fellow Austrian esprit owner on the forums :).

Looking forward to whatever turns up on the history of "Type 79B"

(and of course "Type 79A" as well...).

Georg

10 hours ago, Lotus79b said:

Hi 

I am the owner of Vpw941x. I bought it from Matt a few years ago and made a complete Restauration, but keeping everything as it was, even the wheels where one is silver the other 3 gold. Would be interested in the history of the car. Thank you and regards from Austria

Dan

Yes great to have you on here Dan. Did you see the period photos of your car on the previous page? Are you doing a black lower section on the car?

Yes, great pictures. Yes , thats right i am doing a black lower section. i tried a few colour things, because i wanted the prototype parts that where fitted on the S2.2 to come out a little bit , and i think it looks nice that way , otherwise i kept it as it was. quite interesting what the people who build it wrote on the backside of the parts. i made some pictures, i have to sort them out and then i will post them here. thanks to everybody on this forum. many posts where a good help during the restauration, as this is my  first esprit.

Greetings from Austria Dan

• Like 1

On 07/08/2020 at 13:20, omicron said:

When I'm next at my parents house I'll see if he has any files left on the car which may shed some light on it.      It may be that the files went with the cars when they were sold on.

Here is a photo of VPW941X and I suspect the other car is shown in the background of the second shot, along with an Elan and a Citroen CX Safari.

56F84A54-4AB4-436B-AE1A-588D47DE245B.jpeg

38439936-4387-42C4-A15A-E2267F19042C.jpeg

Hi Omicron

I am the owner of vpw941x and would be interested in as much information as i can get about the car. Regards Dan

• Like 1

Thanks for making the effort @omicron. I love reading about the seemingly haphazard nature of car development and the trials and tribulations of getting new engineering to work. This thread has turned into quite a read. Great complimentary photos @stephenwhyte.

As a youngster I remember the Turbo Essex appearing in a Motor Show brochure and being enthralled by it's ingenuity and stance. Though I prefer the simpler design of the early cars, Lotus Cars really did put a lot of effort in developing the Turbo. Something I fear is sadly lot on today's car enthusiasts.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Bob Smith said:

Hi, just bought a 1982 dry sump Esprit Turbo finished in red with black leather. Lifes times dream, over the moon cars done 35500.00 miles with full history!

Hi Bob, thanks for the post. Sounds like a very late dry sump - maybe one of the last. Have you a serial number you can share with us. It may be already on the list too, but any more info/photo would be superb. 
cheers

Lex

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bob Smith said:

Hi, just bought a 1982 dry sump Esprit Turbo finished in red with black leather. Lifes times dream, over the moon cars done 35500.00 miles with full history!

Brilliant Bob my dream Turbo Esprit spec too - any photos? Here’s mine which is the same age & spec you mention, but first Wet Sump😎😉

F082AD95-DD0C-4957-A20C-D1F575713825.jpeg

22EB3134-7BED-467B-94FD-D5F99B91A868.jpeg

• Like 1

Keeping on the red/black theme, @frbrecently sent me a link to this car.

It is most certainly #10952, domestic UK car converted to LHD. ex - @Alireza

DVLA has first registered January 1981 so there is no other car it can be, but #10952. I'm still waiting to hear back from the owner.

So this is in between @Tocus's #10951 and my #10953.

The 5th, 6th and 7th non-Essex UK cars - all with all Essex features from factory.

The only earlier Domestic production Dry Sumps (non-Essex cars) known to still exist are #10947 (white with Essex stripes in France) and #10939 (white/originally red with HC engine in Australia)

Rare beasts!

Cheers,

Lex.

etuto6b.jpg

etint2.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 8.01.57 pm.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Brilliant pictures - there’s something truly magic about seeing period photos of these cars👏👏😎

For some reason I want to say the Compomotives look good with Gold decals but not so much with Black. Can’t tell you how glad I am about that.....😅 But even better with gold centres like pic below

Body coloured louvres are just plain wrong!

Fantastic car😎 

485417A5-AB12-42F2-BF0F-DC8C8A01034A.jpeg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, stephenwhyte said:

Brilliant pictures - there’s something truly magic about seeing period photos of these cars👏👏😎

For some reason I want to say the Compomotives look good with Gold decals but not so much with Black. Can’t tell you how glad I am about that.....😅 But even better with gold centres like pic below

Body coloured louvres are just plain wrong!

Fantastic car😎 

485417A5-AB12-42F2-BF0F-DC8C8A01034A.jpeg

Would love to know if this is the same car albeit with different coloured wheels.. I'm running out of VIN numbers for it to be - as all the early cars on Comps are accounted for..

• Like 1

I like them in red with the Essex black comps, I really regret not buying this one tbh as the one I bought from Coachworks was pretty rough in comparison. 
54921008-724B-46F2-BD5D-D4E628CD0138.jpeg.53f2ea5dd79db608b8b97809a3392298.jpeg

Still going to get another one day I that I’m certain.

Dave :) 

• Like 2

Do or do not, there is no try!