free hit
counters
Fuel tank access - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
PhilW

Fuel tank access

Hi

Just removed both fuel tanks and fortunately found them in very good condition.  Surface rust only and the inside like new as far as I can see.  Anyway the hole in the body below the fuel tank outlets is open on both sides as in the picture.  Should these have any sort of blanking plates.  Think I will make something but would be interested what others have on their cars.  It is a washing up bowl on the floor under the car as the picture looks a bit odd. Thanks

1.PNG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My car is 1995, and it has the same holes. Presumably it's safer that way as it allows petrol to flow out when it leaks from the rusted-out tanks!

The hole is there for access to the drain bolt in the bottom of the tank I believe.

But no blanking plate?

There weren't any drain plugs on my tanks when I removed them. The balance pipes contain what seems like a few gallons of fuel, though.:(

• Like 1

They certainly got me. If anyone had been smoking around me, I wouldn't have lived to tell the tale. And that was after using a suction pump as far as possible down the pipe.

1 hour ago, ian29gte said:

There weren't any drain plugs on my tanks when I removed them. The balance pipes contain what seems like a few gallons of fuel, though.:(

Gallons ??? Pfff that poxy pipe holds nearly all of the fuel onboard an esprit.......

I did the RHS fuel tank on my Esprit last week. After driving it as close to empty as I dared, I used a jumper to let the pump run and empty the tank in a jerrycan. A bit still remained in the swirlpot (I stopped the pump as soon as it started sucking air to avoid damage) and could be drained via the plug. I was prepared for a shower when taking of the balance pipe, but it was only a small gulp. I'd say less than a pint from both drain plug and balance pipe together. Quite happy with that, as I was working without a lift and could only fit a small container underneath.

The holes are blanked off by the undertray.

On 12/19/2016 at 16:03, PhilW said:

Hi

Just removed both fuel tanks and fortunately found them in very good condition.  Surface rust only and the inside like new as far as I can see.  Anyway the hole in the body below the fuel tank outlets is open on both sides as in the picture.  Should these have any sort of blanking plates.  Think I will make something but would be interested what others have on their cars.  It is a washing up bowl on the floor under the car as the picture looks a bit odd. Thanks

1.PNG

I use X026B0371Z  from SJ to block the holes. Reduces the wind noise!

LARGE DIAMETER ACCESS GROMMET
Gearbox oil filler hole in boot floor. Radiator bleed screw cover and Expansion bottle cover on cars after 1986.