free hit
counters
Easy cambelt change. - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Roy Lewington

Easy cambelt change.

Did anyone see the cambelt change tip on TV  ( Wheeler Dealers or Car SOS I think). Line all the marks up as usual to ensure the current belt fitted is in the correct position. Get your very sharp Stanley Knife,  cut the belt longways all the way round at about halfway across its width.    Cut through this front half and remove.   With all the pulleys still being held in their correct relative positions,  slide the new belt on. Cut off the remaining old half of the belt and ease the new belt fully home.  Adjust tension in the normal way.  Anyone tried this?  Roy.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

But it would only save you a couple of minutes, on a half day job, and may cost more if doesn't go to plan?.  , the time in doing an esprit is the disassembly/assembly that is required, no matter how you actually ease the belt on,  which isn't difficult once the tensioner is 'relieved'  

9 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

But it would only save you a couple of minutes,

True, but it does greatly reduce the risk of replacing the belt a tooth or two out though.

It's not a new idea, it's been used successfully for years. :thumbup: 

I saw that too. Never heard of this before. Have to say looks a great idea but would suspect it is very much dependant on the car,access to the belt etc if this method is to be employed.

3 hours ago, andydclements said:

What would worry me is, the back of the knife blade touching the new belt and causing a weak spot.

Easy enough to slip an old credit card between the two before you start cutting. :thumbup:

• Like 1

The ingenuity of Travis and others continues to impress me.  I have a pal who is similarly ingenious and in 45 years, has always come up with some repair technique that leaves me dumbfounded.  But of course, the term "engineer" comes from the Latin ingenium, that can be interpreted as ingenious one.

Edited by Winter
Mis-spelling of "interpret".

20 hours ago, Roy Lewington said:

Did anyone see the cambelt change tip on TV  ( Wheeler Dealers or Car SOS I think). Line all the marks up as usual to ensure the current belt fitted is in the correct position. Get your very sharp Stanley Knife,  cut the belt longways all the way round at about halfway across its width.    Cut through this front half and remove.   With all the pulleys still being held in their correct relative positions,  slide the new belt on. Cut off the remaining old half of the belt and ease the new belt fully home.  Adjust tension in the normal way.  Anyone tried this?  Roy.

Been doing it this way for a good few year's now. I actually posted the same item a few year's back. It does make it simple but you still obviously have to be careful with alignment. I have done a fair few Elite's, Ecalt's and Excel's and a couple of Esprit's using this method. And a few other none Lotus cars. Many rear wheel drive cars with an ohc engine can be done his way.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jonwat said:

True, but it does greatly reduce the risk of replacing the belt a tooth or two out though.

It's not a new idea, it's been used successfully for years. :thumbup: 

There is a risk associated with such methodology. And this is a lesson I've learned many times over during the years (I'm a little slow on the uptake...):

It assumes that whoever did the job last, did it correctly.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2016 at 19:28, Vanya said:

There is a risk associated with such methodology. And this is a lesson I've learned many times over during the years (I'm a little slow on the uptake...):

It assumes that whoever did the job last, did it correctly.

Absolutely Vanya. I set everything up on stroke and make double sure everything is lined up then I usually cut the belt in a few positions then Tie wrap that half to the sprockets etc before cutting and removing half the belt. That way I can be confident that nothing moves. Then slip on the new belt.

This all seems a lot of effort... doesn't any one else use a simple cam lock...

1. Find TDC with lined up dots.

2, Insert cam lock.

3. Take off old belt and fit new..

4. Remove cam lock and put kettle on...  jobs a gud un..   

• Like 1

Really depends whether it's ECU controlled or not, as the latter has the added faff of the pulley for ignition timing which is arguably the most awkward the align and isn't secured by lots of cam-locking kits.

• Like 1

Hear what you are saying, but never found that awkward either.. same process with the added removal of the dizzy cap.  Note the position of the arm and insure it stays the same when new belt fitted..  

Changed mine today.  (Boxing day r&r)   I would wager that the effort it doing the longitudinal cut of the old belt must take longer that just locking the tensioner and whipping the old one off & the new one on.    Although I admit it did take me two atempts to get the alignment  of  all pulleys good.   

Does anyone know what Burroughs belt tension gauge is the same as the Burroughs/Lotus Gauge specified in the Service Notes? I have been reading everything I can on all the Lotus Esprit Forums and from what i have gathered there is a Burroughs Gauge that is essentially the exact same tool as the $500. Lotus Esprit Burroughs Gauge with the single 95 Units "single hash mark". One Gentleman that is part of a Lotus Esprit Club says there Members have done many tests with the actual Lotus Esprit Burroughs gauge and standard Burroughs Belt tension gauges and the only difference is the Lotus Gauge has the single hash mark represented in "Units" (95 Units) witch i have also been informed is equal to 95 lbs. that one would read on a "standard Burroughs gauge"  I have a 1989 Lotus Esprit Turbo and attached is a picture of the Burroughs gauge that is specified in the Service Notes. I have seen Kentmoore Burroughs Guage J-36018 and J-26486B on Ebay and they do look very similiar but I am not sure what model would be closest to the Lotus Esprit Burroughs Guage. If anyone has any information about this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your time!

Chris Herbert

IMG_0091.JPG

Not sure about the cantilevered one but this is the equivalent earlier one which works fine.

DSCN3278.JPG

I haven't been on here in a long time. If a water pump needs replacing, an electric water pump can be installed and vacuum pump deleted in favor of an electric vacuum pump. Although this is a great deal of work, it has allowed me to change my cam belt in 1/2 to 1 hour. I've done it to both my '85 and '89 Esprit and my '87 Porsche 924s. All are reverse coolant flow and I have experimented with different cam belts and tensioners.

There are many, many details to convey and I hope to find the time for a proper write up if there is any interest.

Cheers, Lee