free hit
counters
Any one remember this turbo - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Any one remember this turbo

cbclotus

Hi all .Merry Christmas to all .Some great people on hear .Great bunch of lotus people.Back to the topic .Reading through a old lotus world mag may 1982 .It shows a picture of a red  turbo YAH 868X .saying the car Was a star attraction at the recent all electronic show in London .Also shows a silver turbo with red interior .The car was used by Dickie Davis  its use was to promote Faberge  products.i know most people might of seen the car ....Looks fantastic ...Wonder if they are still around....Mike

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Good stuff, what made you think of that Mike? Well done Stephen for finding the photos so quickly as well.

Not sure about the decals on the dry sump one especially the massive Turbo on the front and sides!

Red rules though! 

Merry xmas guys. ??

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Hi Dave just rember buying some lotus news years ago .Wonderered if the silver one was the car owned bu Mr Chapman.Same colours .But I think a different reg .....it was used by Kevin Keekan Henry Cooper .Have a good Christmas all .Mike

1 hour ago, cbclotus said:

cool .just noticed the extra stripes.  Mike

And the standard ones at the back of the car under the bumper that must have been standard, remain unchanged for the new livery. Other stripes like the ones on the ears and the pinstripe missing too. Great to see the original artwork concept - thanks Trevor 

I remember the Faberge car. They launched a range of "Male Grooming Products" called Turbo in around 1980. They were evidently a complete failure as they only were sold for around 6 months or so. 

That car was located in the window of the Co-Op store in King Street, Hammersmith for a while. They had a contest to win it whereby you had to come up with advertising slogans for the brand.

I remember being completely knocked out by the red leather interior and decided the Esprit I was going to buy must have it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@Lot63 - welcome to the site. 1982 is such a good year for our cars, there are a fair number of them about.

Good long time to have owned it as well - a year longer than I've had mine.

We love pictures here :thumbsup:

Yes that's the one, though it looks like a later series of the show with all the exerpts cut into the titles. In the first series the opening sequence had a lot more Lotus time. It showed Noel slurping his breakfast down and leaving the house, jumping in the Esprit, then other forms of racy transport like speedboats to get to work . At the end titles the sequence was reversed ending, if memory serves me right, with him regurgitating his breakfast. Maybe I just dreamed that bit, but it might be why the titles evolved slightly!

BTW the photos of the red car above are from "Alternative Cars" magazine, but the car did press duty elsewhere too.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

The clip you have posted is the first I've seen with the Turbo in it. I think after that stunt cock-up on the show that resulted in a death there was a bit of "Jim'll Fix It" rewriting of history about it, as though it never happened. Like we'll never see Roger Becker give that young lad a blast around Hethel in the Bond S1.....Now then now then.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• 3 years later...