free hit
counters
Esprit convertible moulds - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit convertible moulds

Paul Coleman

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Cheers for posting Mad dog, have never seen pictures like those on this car before.

It has either been photos of roof on, or roof off !  Is yours a custom build or are all St Tropez like this ? 

I like the  C post bit as I feel the area is to long and flat without it when the roof is down :)

A

Right guys as a owner of a Tvr wedge  .i remember seeing approx 4 convertable Esprits at castle coombe .Many years ago .i think they did a good job of the conversion .The esprit is such a fantastic shape it can carry it off.Prefer it original.As for the Tvr shape I still like it after all it was styled by my favourite uk stylist .Our own Olliver Winterbottom.Mike

Thanks Paul for keeping the eyes open and spread the info on here about the St Tropez moulds clear out at Lotusbits. Thanks to Matt for collecting them. The owners will be glad to know about possible spares.

Three G-Esprit convertible versions are out there. A one-off from Kollinger in Germany (white with red interior, later resprayed in black), the car from mad wolf, think it is also a one-off and the St Tropez version which got a good handful realized. Pictures and some details can be seen on the website dedicated to them (link see below).

Drivability was never a problem with the convertible. The Esprit backbone chassis still does the main carrying work while the glassfibre body only supports some stiffening. In the St Tropez were enough bracing / tubing to compensate the lost roof section. Roof off driving is such a pleasure in this car in summertime when the coupe guys without aircon or detachable roof are sweating in the overheated cabin ;-)

Agree not to chop an undamaged Esprit. This would be absolute nonsense. But one which had an engine fire and saved in time not burnt down to the ground could be protected from scraping with this conversion. Not sure if it is economically doable today. Will make a nice roadster, e.g. a second G-Esprit in the garage for the sunny days.

Finally, pictures are not always nice to the St Tropez design. Tried to get the better ones on the website. This car looks awesome in the flesh with roof off on a sunny day and you can´t wait until you jump on the driver’s seatJ.

It runs a fast straight line on the Autobahn and is easily capable even for timed hill climbs in the Alps. Not many on earth are able to undergo this exhilarating experience. While reading through this for typos I think I sound a bit biased…

• Like 2

Website with information and pictures PBB St Tropez convertible Esprit:

http://www.lotusespritconvertible.de/

• 5 months later...

Reviving this old post... Great work on saving these moulds! I'm resolutely NOT a convertible man - I don't mind a targa like the X/19, but I literally cannot think of a single roofless car which I like, or which remotely compares to the coupe version. Daytonas, DB5s, E-Types, you name it - they all look comparatively crap in droptop form.

Except the Esprit! There was one of these conversions in blue that was parked for years beside Royal Docks in East London, and I always thought it looked fantastic. So purposeful and dangerous, like a 4-wheeled weapon. From some angles it conveyed the same sense of utter drama as a Countach, and is probably the only convertible I think I could be persuaded to motor about in. I'd never countenance cutting up a decent Esprit to make one of course, but to instead create the body from scratch if you had a chassis and engine would result in an amazing looking automobile...

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
On 11/06/2017 at 23:49, HowardHughes said:

Reviving this old post... Great work on saving these moulds! I'm resolutely NOT a convertible man - I don't mind a targa like the X/19, but I literally cannot think of a single roofless car which I like, or which remotely compares to the coupe version. Daytonas, DB5s, E-Types, you name it - they all look comparatively crap in droptop form.

Cobra?

Margate Exotics.

No chance. Funnily enough, I was having this conversation with two mechanics the other day - one of whom had had his own company in the 90s manufacturing Cobra replicas, and the other who works on various rich guys' cars, including various AC 428s.

My position was that I can't stand Cobras - they do nothing for me, except perhaps the very earliest ones that were just slim sports cars with no beefy add-ons. The AC 428 however - my god, there is a glorious, sublime car. See a fat Cobra with bloated tyres, naff stripes and silly scoops on the road and odds are the bloke driving it will be pub owner from Chelmsford with a sunburnt bonce and a gut. See a 428 (unlikely I know) and the dude driving it will probably be some Italian count or Swiss industrialist, on his way to an assignation with a former Miss France in a chic bistro a couple of miles outside Monte Carlo.

So, er, that's a no to Cobras...

• Gold FFM
15 hours ago, ian29gte said:
On 2017-6-11 at 23:49, HowardHughes said:

Maybe.....but currently touring Europe in a convertible.... It's the only way to travel.

DSC_0201.JPG

• Like 1

Ha nice one. Lake Como? Garda? But I'd still do it in a coupe.

And that Jag may as well be a hardtop, in the same way that a Fiat X/19 isn't really a convertible. Plus its arse resembles a platypus' bill, though that's not the fault of its lack of roof...