free hit
counters
Exige 350 - AU66 AHL - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Exige 350 - AU66 AHL

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Firstly apologies for such a selfish post - just wanted somewhere to log my ramblings and ownership experiences purely for my own personal posterity!  Just coming up to 1000 mile service now so figure

Nice write up Luke ? I love my 350 sport to they are wonderful cars and feel so solid! Picked mine up at the end of Sept with nearly 4K covered already on only track and road trips! Fit

I've just remembered - I have another Video of the sound... my 18month old boy doing his V6 impression   

Posted Images

Great post :thumbsup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Twin pipe exhaust looks great in black! Great post and read. On the topic of a front tow don't get robbed by Lotus prices! There are plenty of OEM options now available from the likes of @Seriouslylotus and elise parts and such at half the price of Lotus. 

• Like 1

www.alias23.com

Looks amazing in white with the red tartan. The geo is all done for you in a Sport 350, don't go messing with that, all the understeer comments are based on the older V6 S and don't relate to the 350 which received more aggressive geo at the front end. I wouldn't know how it would work with Michelins but Avon ZZRs are exceptionally good, very hard to beat for the Exige.

20 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Looks amazing in white with the red tartan. The geo is all done for you in a Sport 350, don't go messing with that, all the understeer comments are based on the older V6 S and don't relate to the 350 which received more aggressive geo at the front end. I wouldn't know how it would work with Michelins but Avon ZZRs are exceptionally good, very hard to beat for the Exige.

Do you know what the geo specs are for the 350 please. I am due a check soon so be ideal time to change if the 350 is deemed the sweet spot. 

Ps. Great Article / write up

Edited by RedViper
1 hour ago, The Pits said:

Thanks for the kind comment and info - Geo was more for a check against the baselines rather than an adjustment just yet, I did string the car up to check it but my issue is with it being slightly bigger than my S2 its difficult to do so in my garage now.

When i did so it seemed that the front offside toe was slightly IN which isnt ideal - chances are i mucked up the measurements, i had to do it oustide it was cold and i rushed! Place down the road has a full hunter setup and the guy knows his stuff so just gives me some peace of mind knowing where it sits right now.

Had ZZRs on my S2 which were fantastic - my thoughts towards the Michelins were partly down to Lotus spec'ing them on the 380 - I trust their judgement, (its unlikely to be a cost saving as Michelin don't tend to be the cheapest OE supplier) and partly down to them appearing to be pretty decent value - £680 on tyre leader for the full set.

My one hesitancy is that with the 215 front its going to increase the front ride height 4.5mm - I've always found introducing more rake to these cars is beneficial rather than less - be very interesting to know if Lotus have changed the spec of the front dampers on the 380 to adjust for this.

5 hours ago, alias23 said:

Twin pipe exhaust looks great in black! Great post and read. On the topic of a front tow don't get robbed by Lotus prices! There are plenty of OEM options now available from the likes of @Seriouslylotus and elise parts and such at half the price of Lotus. 

Thanks for the tip, I've got a Seriously Lotus one sat in my basket as we speak :)

Edited by LukeH

Yes that was my concern with the Michelins, the extra ride height was really noticeable parked next to my V6 Cup, it must surely be running pretty different settings to get them to work? The car works on ZZRs switching to Michelins looks like a risk not worth taking to me. I guess it won't ever be awful but it might take some time and money to get the best out of them.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Yes that was my concern with the Michelins, the extra ride height was really noticeable parked next to my V6 Cup, it must surely be running pretty different settings to get them to work? The car works on ZZRs switching to Michelins looks like a risk not worth taking to me. I guess it won't ever be awful but it might take some time and money to get the best out of them.

Was that the blue 380 at Silverstone? Im guessing your Cup is running Nitrons which if the 380 was on standard Bilsteins would account for some ride height difference?

Could well be tyres too if your were running your ZZRs. 215/40s vs the Michelin would be a 10/11mm difference in tyre alone - the ZZRs will therefore run about 6mm lower than the stock 205/45.

In my admittedly very limited research on the Michelin's the do appear to require a more aggressive camber setting to best 'switch on' both the compounds of rubber used in the construction but the 350 was already running a more aggressive camber than the S. Be very interesting to know what they've changed - if it was considerably higher than your cup - perhaps nothing!

As you say ZZR is probably the safe way to go - and its introducing some more rake.. will get in touch with BMTR for a price - forged wheels are due at the end of the month.

Edited by LukeH

I agree with Jonny. I honestly think they switched to the Michelins because JMG got a good deal (probably) from some old friends not because they are faster / a lot better than the Trofeos...

IMHO the Trofeo Rs are the fastest street legal tires on the Exige ... they might not last very long and are not good in the rain...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MartynB said:

Hey @LukeH, what was the static noise test figure with the 2bular road?

Hi Martyn,

I've never had it tested - i was just at Donington for a gander at Thunder in the Park - a few of us from MLOC met up for breakfast there.

One of the guys has a proper meter so ill arrange to test it at some point - its properly loud though when open - you might pass some of the higher static track limits but i wouldn't fancy my chances on the drive by.

I'm only planning on doing 3/4 track days a year in it so for me its not a massive ordeal in switching back to standard as part of general track day prep. Any more than that and it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle. 

9 minutes ago, Arun_D said:

@S1ARM where did you get your geo tweaked, out of interest?

BDM (BackDraft Motorsport) in Bletchley Milton Keynes.

I wouldn't go anywhere else as the owner mark works on all the cars (super cars and racing cars) and really knows his stuff with his years of racing and mechanic experience.

He talked me through the whole process to fully explain what the changes would do the car and make sure it wasn't beyond my currently ability to make the most of the revised set up. 

He also did a full assemble then go all the suspension and key parts to check the condition and advised on how to maintain it along with obviously carrying out some maintenance on it when it was having the geo.

Great guy who would advise on a progressive GEO set up to go with the greater experience the harder the set up that's if you do lots of track driving.

He will only adjust what he thinks best to suit you and the better you get the more aggressive he can make it if you so wish.

Mine is set up for fast road/track but to make sure it behaves on road for the longer European journeys (doesn't tramline) but with that added front end grip for turn in and the rear cambers also turned in a little more which I can certainly notice the amount of extra grip I now get and with the AVONs it was pretty endless yet confidence inspiring to make me want to faster and harder on my last two outings in December at SS without wanting to kill myself and risk smashed the car up!

• Like 2

Thanks Drew, I know of BDM from my R26.R days. 

My Cup geo was fettled by Analogue Automotive at the same time I had the ZZRs fitted, but it's always good to know of more trusted places. 

Well finally had time to strip the carpets out today. I was never a big fan (seem a bit daft in a Lotus!) and also didn't like the fact they covered the 'ribbed' section on the chassis floor either.

Fairly painless task other than the side sill carpets which instead of being nicely velcro'd in had some awful tape stuff on them, most of which stuck to the chassis. An hour or so with the tar remover had it all removed and me high as a kite!

Also took the opportunity while the seats were out to remove the bulkhead cover and take out a couple of the big lumps of NVH too.

Much happier that i can see some chassis now.

e5165571c9.jpg

Out of curiosity i had a quick weight of the bits removed. 2x Main Floor Carpets. 2x Sill Carpets, Bulk Head carpet and a few lumps of NVH foam. Came to bang on 7kg.

Cars also had its running in service - all little niggles sorted, unfortunately the drive back was a struggle with weather and traffic so didnt really get chance to stretch its legs, not driven it since either - just awaiting some decent weather!

• Like 2