Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
SteveV8s V8 (Big project in a tiny garage) - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

SteveV8s V8 (Big project in a tiny garage)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Steve,

That garage looks nice and cosy, and room wise its more than enough for the esprit imo,  it will just take some planning on where you store things.  Not the best size for interior work etc when needing the doors open, but then not many garages are when taking the esprits size into account.   But for engine work it looks great.  You got the main two things in my eyes for a garage which are warm and dry ! anything else is just a bonus :)

Wishing you the best of luck with the drivetrain and will keep my fingers crossed for you that it does not turn into a Barry Kearlly car lol. 

Best of luck and look forward to the updates < good and bad >:)

Dan

• Like 2

A

• Gold FFM

First Update, and a few odd findings of note.

Spent a few hours on Sunday getting the car up on axle stands, to enable me to crawl around underneath, and to familiarise myself with what goes where and why, and what else needs to be sorted.

Unfortunately for me, but as expected (its a Lotus after all) a few other expensive jobs that weren't planed for on the rear end refurb have to go on the list. 

The first one found when I removed the boot floor. This early V8 still has a cast iron clutch bell housing, which leads me to believe that when I remove the gearbox, I expect to find a single plate clutch, not the twin plate unit and ally bell housing that should have retro fitted when the early V8s were recalled. Now the question is, does this make this a rare and original V8, or does it make the car substandard, and should I be trying to get Lotus to replace these parts 20 years on, advice appreciated.

This led me to look at the other early car recall, the heater diverter valve, sure enough still in its original orientation, this does need sorting as my heater is virtually non existent.

IMG_1172.JPG

Then, whilst trying to locate the radiator drain plug, which is completely inaccessible without removing the front undertray and oil cooler ducts, found that the radiator is weeping from the left hand rear seam, so a nice new ally job will be going in there at yet more expense.

Ive got a feeling this car has been kept outside, probably over grass by its keeper of the previous four years. Everything within six inches of the floor is rusted solid, but above that it seems immaculate. The oil cooler unions look like they're gonna be a nightmare, some advice on separating the pipes from the coolers without damaging the coolers themselves would be appreciated, as the 20 year old rubber pipes need replacing, and no, I won't be fitting genuine Lotus at £300 a go.

So.....only just started but the project has already grown. will start stripping out the rads and coolers next. didn't expect that this year !!!!!

• Like 1

This sound typical of a Lotus I'm affriad. I suppose its like being at school. It's being nasty at first to show you affection in a backwards way. This will blossom into head over heals love once she's back up and running.

Im pretty sure what lotus's answer will be about the bell housing and clutch. 

Keep io the good work. She will be a stunner once done 

• Gold FFM
8 minutes ago, Stuart Monument said:

Keep io the good work. She will be a stunner once done 

She's already a stunner Stuart,..... Just needs a bit of love and fine fettling to keep her going for another 20 years.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Haha - everyone - and I mean everyone gently ripped the piss when I bought a non runner! 

@Steve V8 you have no clue what you are about to embark on...... brace yourself.

oil cooler pipes won't come undone - you will sheer them first even attempting. You can cut the pipe off and then use a nut splitter on the oil cooler - that may split the nut off - you can then clean the threads etc.

radiator - I'd be getting that recored - should be circa £250 - and go for a 3 row core. 

Pipes - use pirtek or another such farm machinery fabricator. Remember the heritage of these cars !! Don't be put off with country engineering.

oh and anything low down on any lotus - just rusts to f@ck no matter what. Angle grinder - preferably battery powered - with a thin .8 or 1mm cutting disc is your friend here. You may also wish to invest in a cutting torch - a propane bottle will provide enough heat cheaper than oxy and acetylene.

Only here once

If either of your recalls were safety related then Lotus will need to rectify them. I had an imported Mitsubishi fixed for free on a safety recall when it was 17 years old.

Best of luck with your restoration. It'll keep you on your toes and slowly get under your skin. It looks lovely.

:) 

It's getting there......

@Steve V8, have you read through @Alex Carter's rebuild thread? Coincidentally Alex is also in Swindon (all of the best V8 owners are B-) ) and he has tackled most of the jobs that you are looking at, including an under-refurb.

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Steve, have a look at my refurb thread as well as Alex's. Hopefully you'll find a good deal of useful info in them, it's what they're for.

Oil cooler pipes - don't ruin the nut flats trying to undo them, and the chances are you will be able to reuse the pipes. You can use the soda solution to get rid of the alloy remaining in the pipe unions.

The coolers? Forget it, get some new ones from Serck, and as Barry said, have the rad rebuilt, it's much cheaper than an alloy one.

While you're in cooler mode, the chances are your air-con condensers will be goosed. Again, there are other threads about these. Swindon Alan did some good work with sourcing them, too.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

Haha - everyone - and I mean everyone gently ripped the piss when I bought a non runner! 

@Steve V8 you have no clue what you are about to embark on...... brace yourself.

Thanks to you Barry,  I do have some clue, it took me nearly a week to read life in the old V8, and referred to it again at the weekend as I recalled reading about turbo studs somewhere, found it straight away, page 1. So consider me braced!! 

Every rounded chocolate nut, and rusty old stud that twists into two, makes me smile as it disappears into bin.

28 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

@Steve V8, have you read through @Alex Carter's rebuild thread? Coincidentally Alex is also in Swindon (all of the best V8 owners are B-) ) and he has tackled most of the jobs that you are looking at, including an under-refurb.

I've read Alex's thread with great interest too, and have come to the conclusion...... Avoid silver V8s

6 minutes ago, ian29gte said:

Steve, have a look at my refurb thread as well as Alex's. Hopefully you'll find a good deal of useful info in them, it's what they're for.

Oil cooler pipes - don't ruin the nut flats trying to undo them, and the chances are you will be able to reuse the pipes. You can use the soda solution to get rid of the alloy remaining in the pipe unions.

The coolers? Forget it, get some new ones from Serck, and as Barry said, have the rad rebuilt, it's much cheaper than an alloy one.

While you're in cooler mode, the chances are your air-con condensers will be goosed. Again, there are other threads about these. Swindon Alan did some good work with sourcing them, too.

Ian, I'm replacing all hoses pipes and oil seals, as the chances are at 20 years, they're ready to let go at any time, oil pipes especially,  I've read a lot your thread too, yes air con condenser was on the original list anyway, so I'll be chasing up @swindon_alan for some cross refs there.

Hope this thread will help others, as much as others have helped me. 

• Like 1

Hello morning and welcome . Hope you have your thunderware on it will be worse than you think.  Replace as much as possible check everything the slightest detail could be costly . Don't listen to so called professionals.  This site has some really good guys on it gunter and Mike know more than Jesus it's always best to ask and ask again lots of opinions and people with experience who have done this before. Are you in Swindon Steve? If you close enough my v8 is on a ramp if you want to chew the fat and ask questions or see what one restored looks like then ask .

Hope you have deep pockets .Esprits s without care cost the next user /owner a lot but as said your joining a club and won't be disappointed by the end result.  

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Morning @Alex Carter I'm 10 miles south of Bath, so around 50 miles from Swindon, but took great interest in your restoration thread, enjoyed the on road footage, as I was familiar with the roads (A4 East of Chippenham). But felt your pain with the cambelts. 

My pockets aren't as deep as they need to be, but I if it needs doing it'll be done, just take a bit longer is all. If at any point you see me doing anything you think could be done differently your input will be much appreciated. 

Regards Steve 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Good and bad times in the tiny garage today. The leaking radiator and knackered air con rads are out at last. Why do Lotus use bolts the are miles to long ?, most of them sheared off due to having two inches of rusty threads for the nuts to try and negotiate. IMG_1197.JPG

I forgot to get the air con de gassed, so leaned well back whilst loosening the first pipe....not even a pffft, no wonder it wasn't working, soon found out why, a cross threaded union bolt on the inlet pipe, the one that goes all the way back to the compressor. does anyone know if its possible to drag a new pipe through without stripping the car.  And does anyone have a spare one of these they'd like to sell?

IMG_1198.JPG

• Gold FFM

1 minute ago, swindon_alan said:

@Alex Carter is again your man on V8 aircon pipes. Plus look in this thread if you haven't already:

I've tried the German place you found, no stock for the last two weeks, don't know if you have any other suggestions that may help.