Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
SteveV8s V8 (Big project in a tiny garage) - Page 5 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

SteveV8s V8 (Big project in a tiny garage)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That sounds like a plan Steve,  I will keep my fingers crossd for you on the strip down,  As for that Barry Fellow, as you said just add a couple of quid to his bill when he gives a sarcastic comment :P

• Like 1

A

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, Robert Weber said:

Steve:

Where did you source the engine service covers? 

Bob

Screenshot_2017-03-20-07-54-43.thumb.png.81f0dcdf90a4900c29aa3a8d5a407d99.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Finally, I have my radiator surround and associated attachments back from the powder coaters, the existing sponge packing used on the inside and top of the radiator frame is absorbant, was wet when removed and was rotting the frame, can anyone suggest an alternative packing material which won't hold water and won't degrade with the heat from the rad? 

Why not try closed-cell foam instead?  I used closed-cell foam for the fuel tank damping when I replaced them.  I doesn't retain water and is also a bit more resilient.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

• Gold FFM

Thanks @mike_sekinger, would that be the stuff my garden kneeling pad is made from? If so I'll tip some boiling water on it, see if it holds its shape. Could be goodbye garden pad tomorrow.

Neoprene closed-cell worked well for me.  See the tech characteristics:

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Question, I have new heater matrix hoses, how accessible are the connections to the matrix inside the car? Where are they? And which side are they accessible from?

Due to the size of the garage it's not possible to assume the Lotus position until the car is pushed outside, and I can't push it outside until I've finished the work under the front end.

Rads and fans rebuilt and ready to go back in.

DSC_0184.thumb.JPG.f999091bc8857f561be401463ff41563.JPGDSC_0185.thumb.JPG.f5064d718171792a5559ef75035c98d5.JPG

• Like 2

• Gold FFM
13 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Don't ask him - he would just recommend ignoring them.......

He won't, he'll tell me to replace the chassis pipes.

13 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

...or save it for next winter and it will involve a full cabin out strip to do them...

I had considered leaving them for now if it does require stripping the dash, which is why I asked the question. 

Heater hose replacement comes somewhere between 'Mission: Impossible'', 'Ha, Ha, Ha!', and 'You're f*^#king kidding me, right?' in the Esprit service notes. However, it's not all bad news as I'm sure it'll be much easier once the dashboard knee bolster and pedal box are out of the way.

I shall be attempting hose replacement and another mod in due course.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Thanks Ian, so access through drivers side footwell then, I'll wait until the car can be pushed outside, seat out Lotus position assumed. 

49 minutes ago, Steve V8 said:

Thanks Ian, so access through drivers side footwell then, I'll wait until the car can be pushed outside, seat out Lotus position assumed. 

Yes, sounds like that's it. The hose at the top I think has a 90 degree downward bend, and the connection is almost up as far as the wiper spindle. the lower one is probably not as difficult.

Unless anyone else here has any other more helpful suggestions?

Margate Exotics.

• 2 months later...
  • Gold FFM

The V8 refurb project has had to take a back seat for the last few months. My dad was diagnosed with a brain tumor back in March, and unfortunately he passed away at the end of June. It really knocks the stuffing out of you, but now I'm trying to get back on track, and what better way than to get down and dirty under the Esprit! 

So this week, after giving up trying to find a replacement air-con condenser pipe, took it into the local engineering shop to see if they could repair it, two hours later, "all done sir, that'll be a tenner" bloody marvelous.

So whilst you lot have been enjoying a nice day o out at  Beaulieu, I've been doing this......

DSC_0206.thumb.JPG.c13365ff2ea03a3f387892baf4d29ffe.JPG

Upgraded three core rad pack and new condensers back in, all brackets powder coated with all new stainless fixings.

DSC_0204.thumb.JPG.e12e9cc8b3b4495cb4aa3d721534ee60.JPG

Refurbed fan housing assembly and cherry red Roose Motorsport hoses, again all the rusty old fixings replaced with stainless. The heater hoses will be done later when I refurb the interior.

• Like 2

Steve,

When I did the rad pack on mine, I went to a "refurb-your-old-chair-shop" and asked for right dimensions and heat resistant, flame retardent closed cell foam. "No problem sir, we have it right here". A tenner and off I went. Used spray glue to attatch it to the radiator frame. Also sprayed it Black with heat resistant spray paint.

Kind regards,

Jacques

108.JPG

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• 2 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Just waiting for the front bumper to come back from the paint shop for the second time, their first effort on close inspection was no where near the standard expected, so back it went.

Last week I got ready to lift out that beautiful engine, alas my hoist was 60cm too short to reach the engine bay, and the legs too high to slide under the lower suspension arms, so a quick visit to the fabricators on Monday for an extended arm and off came the wheels this morning to allow clearance under the car, some d.i.y lifting brackets knocked up, and out she popped with the lift arm touching the roof and the gearbox ratchet strapped up, 3 inches of clearance was achieved and the car rolled out from under the bowing arm.

DSC_0223.thumb.JPG.ed0ee71bb54237b8976d13c7c1a0e71e.JPG

Gearbox clutch and flywheel off and onto the engine stand for some much needed mechanical love and attention. 

DSC_0225.thumb.JPG.94d6cf9a1654a4121fd44ef982a3eeea.JPG

• Like 2

• Gold FFM
On 12/08/2017 at 10:52, Jacques said:

Steve,

When I did the rad pack on mine, I went to a "refurb-your-old-chair-shop" and asked for right dimensions and heat resistant, flame retardent closed cell foam. "No problem sir, we have it right here". A tenner and off I went. Used spray glue to attatch it to the radiator frame. Also sprayed it Black with heat resistant spray paint.

Kind regards,

Jacques

108.JPG

Sorry Jacques, I missed your post, your rad-pack looks spot on, my car had been sat in a heated garage for four months and the Lotus sponge packing was still soaked when it was removed. I used strips of 8mm closed cell foam bonded together until the correct thickness was achieved. The surround has been blasted and powder coated, hopefully that should stop the rot for a few more years.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

Gearbox clutch and flywheel off and onto the engine stand for some much needed mechanical love and attention. 

Good job Steve - did you discover a single or twin-plate ?