Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
SteveV8s V8 (Big project in a tiny garage) - Page 6 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

SteveV8s V8 (Big project in a tiny garage)

• Gold FFM
8 minutes ago, mike_sekinger said:

Good job Steve - did you discover a single or twin-plate ?

I was very surprised to find a twin plate under the cast iron bell housing, and with plenty of meat left on it too. There is nothing in the cars 40,000 history that mentions a replacement clutch at any point, but there are other things that look to have been recently replaced which there is no mention of either. Seems the car may have lost some history at some point.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Cool, that is good news.  You should replace the cast bellhousing.   You will have noticeably less vibration as a result.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

• Gold FFM
9 minutes ago, mike_sekinger said:

Cool, that is good news.  You should replace the cast bellhousing.   You will have noticeably less vibration as a result.

I'm learning fast, took the wife shopping for a new corner suite on Saturday before mentioning that I needed to spend a small fortune on a gearbox upgrade, rather than the usual complaining about the amount of money I spend on the car, I just got an OK. 

I'll send the new bell housing up to GTO with the box, which incidentally has a huge amount of lateral play on the input shaft, so looks like a timely intervention. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Is it wrong to feel disappointed to find the fuel tanks in surprisingly good condition? And even more surprising to find a relatively new genuine Lotus replacement on the drivers side with no record of any such work in the history.

DSC_0226.thumb.JPG.d8b44cdb3573250d7ea0e462538f0765.JPG

DSC_0232.thumb.JPG.722c6c6bac07960bcb72a676b9c13306.JPG

DSC_0231.thumb.JPG.74dd572ddf900123ed8f21d2c2a6719e.JPG

So change of plan, gone are the naughty thoughts of sexy stainless, one new replacement now required for the passenger side, a coat  of POR 15 on the drivers side, underseal on both and the jobs a goon un. 

The replacement tank was missing it's foam pad underneath, so it's just as well it came out. And there are some issues with the air-con pipe joints under the passenger side tank which need to be addressed. But all in all a good day in the tiny garage!!! 

• Gold FFM
43 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Never used foam when I refitted mine chap - they don’t rattle - and that foam just gets wet

I'll be using closed cell foam under um, mine will rattle cos by the time it's finished I won't be able to afford to put in any fuel to weigh um down. 

• Haha 1

strange to find a cup o coffee on top of the tank, mine had not....

nice work!

• Gold FFM
29 minutes ago, cor said:

strange to find a cup o coffee on top of the tank, mine had not....

nice work!

Essential equipment, for taking away the taste of petrol after siphoning the tanks.

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM
4 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

S&T are bloody ace Steve, I've had loads of motorbike parts chromed with them. They will even take used exhaust pipes and silencers, one of the few platers that will de-carbon them. They even take dents out and all that.

I've used S&T many times over many years, they ain't the cheapest but the results are always 1st class, they re did the plating on ally casings on this Z1300 back in 86 after a shit job by Doug Taylor.

DSC_0093.thumb.JPG.9c76fedf37f1bf514a3a992c2afc8c63.JPG

9 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Never ever go in dry.....always lube em up first

Don't worry Barry, I always lubricate the bush before slipping it in.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

New year off to a good start, at last some garage time....re painted front bumper back on, undertrays and front lip cleaned and awaiting a coat of paint, rusty fog light brackets stripped and repainted (fog lights cross reffed to Saab 9000 @swindon_alan but I expect you already knew that).

Then time to look at the fuel tanks. The old foam on the bottom of the left hand tank was still damp to touch a year after its last outing, and the tin worm had taken hold, luckily it's salvageable. 

DSC_0250.thumb.JPG.3a3d49be88b23b35f74d75ff7d73c077.JPG

Rust removed, and having a soak in POR15 metal treatment, this is a low milage car in good condition, but given another year or so this tank would have rusted through.

DSC_0251.thumb.JPG.64fd23a021da962d49335e63d5c6e27b.JPG

• Like 1

On 1/1/2018 at 19:51, Steve V8 said:

Fog lights cross reffed to Saab 9000 @swindon_alan but I expect you already knew that

Hello Steve, I did...but I was sure that I had already posted a cross reference in the master forum. Apparently not, so I have knocked one up to cover it. Thanks for the nudge.

S4/S4s/V8/S350/GT3 front fog lights

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

• Gold FFM

LOTUS MEETS THE FLOORING TRADE.....(fuel tanks)

Loose debris and rust removed, followed by a lengthy soak in POR15 metal prep, then three coats of rust preventive permanent coating which dries to form a rock hard surface which looks almost like a powder coating.

A new foam base cut from a closed cell foam 15mm gym mat that sits just right at about 3mm proud of the tank seam edge.

Now the flooring trade bit, in the trade we use a waterproof PU adhesive for wetrooms and outside applications like artificial grass, it's chemical and oil resistant and dries to form a solid waterproof seal, so this has been used to secure the closed cell foam to the tank. The product is called styccobond F74.

DSC_0257.thumb.JPG.ee61c0650df2f6beca5dfd89b7ace83b.JPG

DSC_0258.thumb.JPG.2f0eb4e2fdd5e521e1db7b66354bdc93.JPG

DSC_0259.thumb.JPG.bba1205db0c07f02737fdde31f4dcf7e.JPG

• Like 2

On 11/02/2017 at 14:51, Steve V8 said:

Yes thanks Ian, I will do, these ones were British made and we're bloody expensive, nearly £500 for the set, so if they don't fit I'll be pretty pissed off. I think Alex Carter used them without any issues.

I also used these on mine, with no problems, except wasn't a full kit!  As for the line Steve, well that just keeps moving!!

Good luck with it all.

andy

• Gold FFM
13 minutes ago, booboo93 said:

As for the line Steve, well that just keeps moving!!

Good luck with it all.

Oh, the moving line!!!! 

While the engine is out, may as well tart up the engine bay a bit, better replace those scabby brake lines, oh so that's where the throttle and handbrake cables come out, better replace those now, don't forget to do the trailing arm bushes, may as well take the trailing arms off and clean them up since the brake lines are off, look at those hubs, springs, shocks, calipers, driveshafts. 

Where the f**k has the line gone now? dissappeared along with the bank balance.

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM
19 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

Are you Barry Kearley's double?!?!?!

No definitely not.....l would have put the yellow tanks in the yellow car....oh wait, that may happen yet.:sofa:

• Haha 2

• Gold FFM
14 minutes ago, Steve V8 said:

No definitely not.....l would have put the yellow tanks in the yellow car....oh wait, that may happen yet.:sofa:

Nice new alloy tanks in that...

Only here once