Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
SteveV8s V8 (Big project in a tiny garage) - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

SteveV8s V8 (Big project in a tiny garage)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
5 hours ago, ian29gte said:

Check how tight those silicone hoses are over the spigots, Steve. It was one of the things I struggled with because mine were not a tight fit.

Yes thanks Ian, I will do, these ones were British made and we're bloody expensive, nearly £500 for the set, so if they don't fit I'll be pretty pissed off. I think Alex Carter used them without any issues.

• Gold FFM

A good day (if not a bloody cold one) at the south west classic car show this morning, 2 M100s, and an S4 Esprit (J10 JLS) in the car park, picked up some more luverly essential supplies to carry on with the tidying process.

DSC_0126.thumb.JPG.8a5783b78aae354a99beadcc90ca3ee9.JPG

• Gold FFM
35 minutes ago, eeyoreish said:

Crikey, there'll be nothing left by the time you get through all those brushes!

They won't last long, my son's already nicked one, and if I ever get an Elite they'll be plenty of rust for me to use um on.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

A quick question to those who know, to disengage the driveshafts from the gearbox, the manual suggests disconnecting the adjustable top links, I'm sure I've read somewhere else to remove the lower arms. I'll need to reconnect to move the car outside for height clearance on engine removal, so any preference on easier the better.

Steve

• Gold FFM

Depends how you're removing the shafts.  My preference is to avoid the roll pins and separate the inboard joint itself - just loosen the boot and pull the spider from the yoke.  This can be done with just the lower arm inboard disconnected, and a good tug.  Then you can do a much better job on the roll pins once the box is out.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I'd echo what Sparky says, and I'd add that you might want to have a container handy to catch the knackered grease and oil mixture that pours out from the CV boots. And then cable-tie or wire the drive shafts up from a bit of the chassis, or the top link. That way you can slowly move the car without any problems of them fouling anything.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

If them driveshafts ain't leaking - don't under any circumstances pull them from the box......

its a doddle splitting the cv joints - shit will get everywhere - all over you and anything within 100ft. If it were toxic gas it would kill the whole neighbouring town !!

tie up the shafts like Ian says - you'll be fine.

ps. Don't jack the car up by the lower links - you'd have to be proper stooopid to do that :sofa:

• Like 2

Only here once

• Gold FFM

I don't like spiders, love eggs, am partial to a runny yoke, so advice has been gratefully received and will be used. One of the drive shaft seals is leaking, so are the gearbox casings forward of the drain plug. Some twat has attempted to seal these oil leaks and an air-con leak with grey silicon sealant, and as neither of the previous two keepers got involved with maintainance, it looks once again like another dodgy so called professional garage bodge.

On a brighter note, I suddenly look ten years younger, as I now have an oil impregnated bald patch after spending Sunday afternoon under the car disconnecting the oil air-con and PS lines. 

Oh dear the crazy silicone sealant will solve everything syndrome by a previous owner :(  On the bright side though at least they have not done near your engine with the stuff  :) "  I just love the smell of grease and gearbox oil in the morning "   Keep up the good Steve :thumbup:

A

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

So last Sunday it was time to tackle the drive shafts, @Sparky and @ian29gte made it sound so easy, just release the inner lower links, pull off the CV boot and pull the spider from the yolk....... Yea right.

I started at 11 on the left hand side, inner link sized solid, the nut came off ok, but that was it, tried everything, even a vice wouldn't budge it. Heating it just filled the garage with smoke as the rubber bushing melted away.

At 5 o'clock,  the angle grinder was was dexterously deployed to the gap where the rubber used to be, and by 10 past 5 out she came.DSC_0127.thumb.JPG.c97ecfd3382fffabb481e2e05e886b32.JPG

So just release the CV boot, push the wheel out and......would the spider clear the yolk.....not a chance. So with that, pissed off, gave up and went down the pub.

So today thought I'd try a different approach, got the grinder ready for the righthand inner link, undid the nut, and bugger me, the bolt just pushed straight out. Whipped out the crossmember,  knocked out the roll pins, marked up the driveshafts, jacked out the wheels, and out they popped.

What a difference a day makes. I have a feeling that the V8 driveshafts may differ from the S4s as there was no way these were pulling out of the yolk.  The left hand wheel was pushed out with left CV boot separated, when the driveshaft separated from the box half the CV rollers were still well inside the yolk. So if someone is doing a V8 I'd suggest driving out the roll pins rather than trying to separate the shafts.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Well done!  Unlucky with that seizure.  They are the same; you just needed a bit of egging on.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM
3 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Well done!  Unlucky with that seizure.  They are the same; you just needed a bit of egging on.

Could have warned me, or did you just want me to suffer:P

I had to do this with the wheels on, tyres were up against the arches and the garage wall.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

I promise you can get them out. They split a doddle - I did it ummm a few times :rofl:

1 minute ago, Steve V8 said:

Could have warned me, or did you just want me to suffer:P

I had to do this with the wheels on, tyres were up against the arches and the garage wall.

Um - it's a nut and bolt on an esprit - ffs - what did you expect ?

• Like 2

Only here once

• Gold FFM

I'll take the driveshaft splitting - carpet removal and I'll raise you a windscreen removal

now that is a fecking pain

• Like 2

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Ahem.  Full wiper assembly.  Yes, mine's huge.

• Gold FFM

World-class heart surgeons don't concern themselves with the minutiae of slicing and stitching.

• Like 1