Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
SteveV8s V8 (Big project in a tiny garage) - Page 11 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

SteveV8s V8 (Big project in a tiny garage)

• Gold FFM

Thanks @Mightymetro , most of the originals were coroded, thread damaged or seized into their bushes and had to be cut, so all replaced with suitable substitutes, apart from the front top link and rear lower link studs, not OEM, and definitely not stainless.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Just ordered new bolts for mine, have decided to stick with zinc coated rather than stainless as I managed to undo nearly everything that’s been in 20 years.  Wish I had the inclination to clean the chassis like you have , great job.  If I go that far I know she will become a garage queen and I’ve got to justify this expense somehow by using her when she’s finished

looking forward to more updates 👍🏻

• Gold FFM

Now for that nice but dull beige 90's interior...time for some 70's electric blue bling.

20190908_195858.thumb.jpg.1ae1ea58d29ffc64d4da6ddf5b307ca6.jpg

Of course that opens up more cans of worms, broken nylon bushings on the selector master unit, done...

DSC_0702.thumb.JPG.bf31c382cb370f792eea1661b3dd8c93.JPG

But the nightmare will be the jammed heater valve, I can see the cable disappear above and behind the pedal box, I can just about feel the valve with my fat fingers but I ain't looking forward to trying to get it out, SUGGESTIONS...

• Love 1

"SUGGESTIONS..."

See page 53 of my refurb thread for some info. My valve was leaking, they're NLA and I got fed searching for a replacement so I replaced it with an electric solenoid valve. I seem to recall unscrewing the hose clips up inside the car, and pulling the valve downwards to remove it. I fitted new heater pipes at the time possibly from underneath the car, but the memory is vague. I do remember it's a pig of a job, though.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

For a simpler heater valve arrangement I've chosen a valve native to a Honda Prelude, circa '88 or so. It's reinforced plastic, turns the line 90 degrees without the complexities inherent in the Brit bit and operates with light cable force. Can't imagine why it was desirable for OEM to have the compensating apparatus in something so dead simple in function as a heater flow valve. Too cold -  open valve a touch, too hot - close it a smidge. 

Well at least you've got a large garage now and that's a good thing. I'm pounding away at interior repairs/prep and whatever else needs doing on the S2 while the Missus is being held at bay parking outside. Winter emerges in force around New Year's hereabouts and then I'll be squeezed into 1/2 the garage space for 2-3 months. As to derelict bungalows, mine is perhaps somewhat less so which would be a good thing at my age. Horrors of renovation still loom here and there but they can bloody well wait until . . . . ? 

• Gold FFM
14 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

I do remember it's a pig of a job, though

Thanks Ian for those words of encouragement, I took a look at your refurb thread, apparently yours was already dangling, all i found was a few pictures of @Sparky on his back fiddling with his hose.

5 hours ago, drdoom said:

For a simpler heater valve arrangement

Thanks Steve, trouble is, I have to work out how to get the thing out first. 52 year old 16 stone carpet fitters aren't that flexible, the steering wheel had to come off just to allow enough neck bend to traverse into the Lotus position, it's going to be one of those that needs a day set aside without interruption. 

And lots of plasters...

• 5 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Oh dear, first mock up reveals a problem, new primary shaft rear bearing housing locating flange 2mm, original 1.6mm, locating groove 1.75mm. It'll have go back...quick message to Lee at GTO reveals a machining error. My trusted local engineering guy would have sorted that for me in the blink of an eye if he hadn't departed suddenly last year. But alas, original on it's way back, replacement on its way Monday.

20200418_205250.thumb.jpg.d66afc0cf88daec9e1c85b1d6311bcca.jpg

20200418_205458.thumb.jpg.e498a860457f044e14c8dbe207ed65bc.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Aren't you going to loose all the pre packed grease from that bearing when you turn the oven on?

Cheers,

John W

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, jonwat said:

Aren't you going to loose all the pre packed grease from that bearing when you turn the oven on?

It's an internal primary shaft bearing and will be bathed and swimming in transaxle oil before final assembly.  

More chance of gaining some grease in my oven😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Head off to the thrift store and get the biggest counter top toaster oven you can find for your shop. Great for bearings, powder coating, welding pre-heat, curing paint and marital harmony.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

You`re going to have a lot of fun with that one 🙂

• Like 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica