free hit
counters
2017 Monthly Meets - Page 2 - Topics - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

2017 Monthly Meets

What works for us HEClers is communication, flexibility, commitment, witty banter, friendship, love of all things Lotus and of course food.

Work out which bits you are missing or need to improve and you've cracked it.

Dave.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well it was a good meeting last night with 6 of us enjoying a pint. I think a regular meet at the same place works better than moving it around as some people just turn up with out checking onlin

So why don't we just keep it simple. Let's personal message everyone  in the area a week before the event and encourage some attendance. I will organise a summer drive to? 

Hello all As the 'new kid on the block', I've been following this thread with some interest, as this is a subject that rears it's ugly head quite often in other clubs/groups that I'm involved wit

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Dave Eds said:

What works for us HEClers is communication, flexibility, commitment, witty banter, friendship, love of all things Lotus and of course food.

Work out which bits you are missing or need to improve and you've cracked it.

So we just need to work on our Friendship...banter...communication... :lol:

Actually as we are looking at it all is it worth setting up a facebook group to help remind us etc? Jay missed one last night and I have forgotten a couple of times in the past. I dont want to end up with double posts across the net to confuse us further though. That said facebook pings up on mobiles and maybe a better way to keep in touch?

buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Click this and you'll get an email each time there's a new topic posted. 

5542190824816640.png

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I have to say I haven't been out in my car much lately, not even once a week to work like I used to. I'm back in that sell, don't sell quandary, I think since getting made redundant in late 2015 my minds been on other topics, mostly trying to find the right job to settle in, so enthusiasm to do other stuff when I get home is low. I've used my car a few times, but it's mostly just sat under the temporary gazebo cover. I've lost my Esprit mojo, also it's my tenth year ownership soon, just wondering if it's time for a change.

So why don't we just keep it simple. Let's personal message everyone  in the area a week before the event and encourage some attendance. I will organise a summer drive to? 

• Like 2

Thats why I wondered about the facebook thing. Might help us remember. I know Im not best at doing stuff. I always enjoy the pint and mardle though.

buddsy

The more talking about it you do the less likely anything will happen,the more questions you ask the more answers you will get. Someone needs to be more positive.don`t ask,DO

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Facebook ain't the answer boys. Through TLF and regular face to face meetings is the only way...

• Like 1

Dave.

I  try to make make the BTH on the third Monday Lotus or Saab transport. ( ooo look the letter b is now up and running again bbbbb BBBBB yipee) It would be nice to see a few more faces. I cant do two meets a month though. Maybe try a couple of joint meets and see what happens . Face to face is better than tech.

8 hours ago, clivef38 said:

I  try to make make the BTH on the third Monday Lotus or Saab transport. ( ooo look the letter b is now up and running again bbbbb BBBBB yipee) It would be nice to see a few more faces. I cant do two meets a month though.

We do appreciate your dedication in turning up for most of the meetings Clive.

I think if we did combine/ meet another group it would be still a once a month meeting. It just seems a waste if there are two groups of Lotus fans meeting at the same venue on differing nights!

From what Ive heard though EALC seems to be run by people who want to control or own "their club" where as here I think we are just a bunch of interested people who like to meet others when we can!

buddsy

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with going to more than one meeting a month - I go to two or three.

As to the moving around, we had a regular turn out of between 4 & 6 when we met in a fixed location. This has more than doubled since we started meeting at different locations.

13 hours ago, Buddsy said:

I think if we did combine/ meet another group it would be still a once a month meeting. It just seems a waste if there are two groups of Lotus fans meeting at the same venue on differing nights!

From what Ive heard though EALC seems to be run by people who want to control or own "their club" where as here I think we are just a bunch of interested people who like to meet others when we can!

buddsy

CL meets are more like you have said, just turning up and having a good chat with fellow Lotus fans. EALC wouldn't really entertain non members turning up at their meetings, it does a lot of events and gets a good turn out of cars, but as you have said Scott, it for the paid members.

If you are going to pop along to any, CL would be the one and it's at the pub you want to go to, BIH. Pat was the CL organiser, but he did stand down, but may be doing it again as no one wanted to take the reigns.

10 hours ago, OwenGT3 said:

EALC wouldn't really entertain non members turning up at their meetings

Would they ask them to leave? :blink:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hello all

As the 'new kid on the block', I've been following this thread with some interest, as this is a subject that rears it's ugly head quite often in other clubs/groups that I'm involved with. How do you get more people to turn out for meetings more often? Trying to organise an activity, time & place that suits everyone seems to be a universal problem & in the classic bike club I'm a member of, we have tried pretty much all the ideas mentioned here plus a few more. We manage to get a core of about 15 members that turn up regularly plus a few occasional visitors, but I certainly wouldn't say that we've found the answer, this is from a club with over 120 members in Norfolk alone, & we don't have two other similar groups to compete with! Overall, we've found that the best results have been achieved by having a regular meet at a regular venue. Anything else we have tried has resulted in reduced attendance. Maybe it becomes more of a routine? In our case it's always the second Wednesday of the month. We did try making it every fourth Wednesday, which gives an extra meet per year, but that didn't work at all, people either turned up a week early or a week late! The best option for a reminder we found was text message as most people have their phones with them all the time & one text can be sent to several recipients. Facebook works for some, but a lot of us don't have anything to do with it & email relies on the recipients checking their accounts, something I'm not always that good at, & I know I'm not alone :) Strangely, like yourselves, we have a few from Suffolk amongst our number, so we tried moving the venue closer to the Norfolk/Suffolk border, but instead of gaining more from Suffolk, we actually lost several from the north west of the region & a couple of the Suffolk lads stopped coming as well, so that didn't work :wacko:. It's always a compromise, but we have found that a venue fairly central to Norfolk gets best turnout. Where ever we go, it's always too far for some to travel, particularly in the winter months, but at the same time there are those who regularly travel much further. To try to counter this, we tried adding an additional meet a fortnight after our regular second Wednesday which moved around to reduce travelling now & again for those further afield, but found they were very poorly attended to the point where only one or two turned up. We gave up on that, then tried organising some Friday night ride outs, where a list was compiled such that a different pub was chosen for Every Friday through the better weather. You then had a destination to head for where theoretically there would be a few of us meet up. That worked well for quite a while, but then gradually fizzled out & again it was just the same one or two of us making the effort, so we're back to our one regular monthly meeting. It seems to be the best we can do.

Hopefully in the next month or two I will be able get along to meet a few of you at the BiH, or where ever you decide to congregate, so if you could let me know the where's & when's of your next meetings I can mark them on my calendar in an attempt to not forget :lol:.

In the mean time, best wishes to all,

Tim

• Like 2

I've set reminders in the forums now but a monthly PM a la HEC would certainly be a good shout.

Once the weather's better I'll get back into the swing of things. I really enjoy the BIH meets by the way, just a shame a lot of the route is quite tedious. Some of its great though.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

14 hours ago, OwenGT3 said:

EALC wouldn't really entertain non members turning up at their meetings, 

Cheers for the heads up Owen these guys deffo sound like the bunch that gives Lotus owners a bad name. Wouldnt want to meet up with this bunch for a pint 

Club Lotus chaps seem worth talking to.

buddsy

4 hours ago, Buddsy said:

Cheers for the heads up Owen these guys deffo sound like the bunch that gives Lotus owners a bad name. Wouldnt want to meet up with this bunch for a pint 

Club Lotus chaps seem worth talking to.

buddsy

Not the case at all Scott, they at a good active club. If you want to be more involved with going to events, rallies, country fairs, a regular club evening, annual bbq etc then pay your subs and that's what you'll get. They often do fund raising for charity, have a pitch at the Lotus Festival and the last couple of years have been present at the Silverstone Classic.

There are different organisers for the events so they all run fairly smoothly. You can be as active as you wish and there is something for everyone's taste throughout the year. they often have a speaker at a club night the last being Guy Munday. 

Go along one evening see what you think but you will be expected to join at some point if you want to be involved.

Club Lotus seem to be dwindling a bit all round, possibly due to some extent from the emergence of TLF. They don't seem to mind too much if you turn up at a meeting but again they are a subscription club.

Varying the monthly meeting place has been voiced lots in the past and I don't mind if it does move around at times. But I do think it best to have a primary meeting place which at the moment is the pub closest to the factory. With its past links, pictures of Lotus everywhere and memorabilia items good food it is also a place were you can meet Lotus employees at times. The summer months would be better for most to venture a bit further on an evening for a change. 

chipp

@chipp Sorry I was a bit over the top with my previous comments. I know you and Owen go there and are certainly good for a pint with. In reality Im sure most from EALC are decent chaps to be honest and as you explained the other night they are good for sorting events out.

Its just I have a problem with authority and being told they wouldnt entertain non-members makes me want to turn up all the same! :lol:

I think some good points have been raised and it does show that although we sometimes see the bad there is quite a lot of good to our meetings.

buddsy

• Like 1

Hopefully I haven't given too wrong an impression of EALC. The club is a good club, I've been in it for most of my Esprit ownership which is ten year in April, and they do a lot of great events, and I'm now on the committee for the second year. Like all clubs there are a core few that attend a lot of the events organised, and as said a lot more turn up at the food events who you never see any other time. EALC wouldn't turn you away at any meeting, and like meeting other Lotus owners. Maybe if you went every month they would ask you to join at some point. ;-)

As Scott I think has said, you mostly want to turn up and just have a chat and organise the odd run/event. EALC organised events are more regimental, organised and made sure everything is in place, t's crossed and the i's dotted, hence the need to sign insurance forms, it's these events I'm on about, not the monthly meeting. I have seen people turn up at events in a Lotus and just tag on the end of the row of our club plot, which raised a few eyebrows. To be fair they are just covering liability and making sure it's all runs smoothly as Trevor said.

Sometimes you don't want that part and just want to have fun, as I go to CL meets at BIH as well as EALC, IMHO I think they have a more casual approach to meetings so perhaps that meeting would suits your needs better. By all means go to an EALC meeting and see what you think.

All the issues you mention go on in every hobby club. The Star Wars club I'm in has disagreements, issues and fall outs, but it still going strong. The R2 Builders Club I'm in also has the same, it's part of club life, and usually you get over it and stick with it, or just don't bother going anymore.

At the end of the day clubs are about having fun and meeting like minded people. When that stops and it becomes like work, then it's time to leave.

Edited by OwenGT3
10 hours ago, OwenGT3 said:

EALC wouldn't turn you away at any meeting, and like meeting other Lotus owners. Maybe if you went every month they would ask you to join at some point. ;-)

It's 3 or 4 years ago now, so things may have changed, but Mrs O & I went along to an EALC meeting & were made very welcome. We were given a bit of an introduction & a brief insight into the club & what they got up to, & yes, we were asked if we'd like to join, but there was no pressure to do so. In fact, we were told we would be welcome to go along to another meeting or two if we'd like, before we made our minds up. I suspect we may well have joined up but for the fact they held their meetings on the second Monday of the month, & we were/are already committed to our motorcycle club which meets on the second Wednesday, which meant that mostly, both meetings would be in the same week, which would make it a bit difficult to fit it all in.

11 hours ago, OwenGT3 said:

I have seen people turn up at events in a Lotus and just tag on the end of the row of our club plot, which raised a few eyebrows. To be fair they are just covering liability and making sure it's all runs smoothly as Trevor said.

Regarding the above, we have attended one or two events where we have been either directed by the organisers, or asked by an EALC member to join them on their club stand/plot, as have a couple of other Lotus owning friends of ours. Holt vintage transport festival being one in particular where we were told on arrival that EALC had asked the organisers if they could have ALL Lotus cars parked together & were directed to their stand. We had actually travelled together with friends in their Daimler Dart, & had planned to park with them, but we did as we were asked/told. We assumed it was to boost the number of cars on display & show a sort of 'united front', perhaps in the hope we may join up. Sorry if we caused a few raised eyebrows, but we wouldn't just tag on without being asked by someone. You may want to clarify things with your event organisers in future?

Regards, Tim

8 hours ago, Orsom Weels said:

Regarding the above, we have attended one or two events where we have been either directed by the organisers, or asked by an EALC member to join them on their club stand/plot, as have a couple of other Lotus owning friends of ours. Holt vintage transport festival being one in particular where we were told on arrival that EALC had asked the organisers if they could have ALL Lotus cars parked together & were directed to their stand. We had actually travelled together with friends in their Daimler Dart, & had planned to park with them, but we did as we were asked/told. We assumed it was to boost the number of cars on display & show a sort of 'united front', perhaps in the hope we may join up. Sorry if we caused a few raised eyebrows, but we wouldn't just tag on without being asked by someone. You may want to clarify things with your event organisers in future?

Regards, Tim

EALC have never done the Holt show, someone may have given that name, but most event that have take place at Holt I or Garry Smith have organised and gone under the name Anglian Lotus Group, which is the Facebook page I've got for events in Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridge. The Holt event was just a turn up and park event, you organised your own ticket, so that's why you would have been asked to park near the other Lotus cars, just to put on a better display of the brand.

The same practice was done last year at Helmingham Hall. EALC didn't go, some of it's members went and parked in the private entry field. We kept a few spaces free so if any other Lotus cars turned up we got someone to direct them to our row of cars as it makes for an impressive display. We did actually get a new member from that event.

What I was quoting was like a show EALC did attend as a club at Rougham Air Show some years back. We had a plot allocated to our club, but the organisers just directed all the Lotus cars to our plot. I didn't organise that one.

Last year EALC did the Yarmouth Festival, all the cars coming with the club had to be notified to the council before we arrived on the day for insurance purposes. The non club members attending went representing EALC, so they signed insurance forms so they were covered. Still at that event other cars turned up and tagged on the end, but they were not covered by our insurance.

Event organisers just want to get cars in quickly, so more than often they will just say go park near all the other Lotus cars, but some plots the club has paid for to be at that event. So you can see why it raises eyebrows if the club members have paid and the random car arriving late hasn't and the punters assume it's part of the club.

I think perhaps the thread is going off topic, it's not about EALC, most local owners know that EALC exist and to do their events you would have to join the club as a paid member. I think the question is whether you stick to the TLF date every month or decide to go along to the CL night and see if you can merge the two nights, but I think you need to talk with Pat as he's the main man as it's CL night, at least it's at the same pub.

Edited by OwenGT3

I think in summer we generally get a good turnout at the BIH, we need to encourage some new members along. Should be the most populous meet but occasionally it has been a bit under-attended

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com