free hit
counters
AC component isolation - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

AC component isolation

Just wondering if anyone out there knows how difficult it is to isolate various components of the AC system to check for a leak?

I was getting the car worked on by an AC guy in WA and the system would not hold a vacuum. At the time, he did not have time to go through all the parts and was doing the work for me for free.

I now have to get this all remedied before selling the car, hence my initial question.

And, why I don't know, but I did not have a lot of luck with being able to find the leak using the UV dye.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Michael

I don't have the answer, but would love to know myself, as I have been meaning to sort out my AC as well.   Also, if you find a good AC guy in Victoria, can you let me know? 

Mine re-gases fine, but cold only lasts month or so + like most things lotus, the system looks a pain to work on.

Cheers 

Hi David,

I would suggest if the cold only lasts a month or so, you have a leak as well. I will be using Hy-Chill in mine. There is lots of negative press about this, but when I looked into it, I consider it fine. I had a contact for a guy that worked at an aircon place down here in Geelong that was prepared to do my car with Hy-Chill, but I lost his contact details. I might give Steve Taylor a buzz as well and see who he recommends.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Sometimes the hoses leak inside the RH door sill (directly though the A/C hoses). You would need to pry up the carpet and put the sniffer in there. This is especially likely in cars that have been converted to R134 from R12, as the hoses are not vapor barrier type.

When I first got my car (R12 system) they tried UV dye but couldn't find the leak.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

But the condenser was not something that leaked when we had the dye in it before the last attempt.

I am also going to look into some of the sealing products which can be added to the system to assist with sealing. My system could not even hold a vacuum so I am unsure whether the sealing systems will work as they mostly require to be added to a functioning system.

Not as yet. Not something that I really want to tackle unless really necessary.

• Gold FFM

You don't have a lot of options if you want to get the system working properly. If you cannot see any green stuff, then it has to be the condenser, evaporator, or pipework, and it's more likely to be the condenser, given it's exposed position. Different design, I know, but this is mine. Massive leak, but no sign of the green stuff until I took it all apart, as it was hidden away -

unspecified.jpg

Margate Exotics.

• 2 months later...

Looks the same here I think. I'll get the engine and gearbox all sorted, then I'll start on this.

Sigh.

Actually, BIG sigh.

Never had a problem with my aircon.  Had to be de-activated (degassed) when I imported the car back in '06.  Never got it re-gassed, as I never had a need for it. Problem solved.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

IMHO green dye is pretty much a DIY tool (I used it successfully)  However, the pros should have access to more sophisticated tools such as gas 'sniffers'  They may help if you cant find the dye?

Even in the UK, A/C is a worthwhile luxury....   

Unfortunately finding leaks in a Automotive context is not easy yes dye works well if the leak can be seen and the gas detection sniffers again good but you have to get to the pipework if it runs in the tub as in the S2 Exige you can only poak the detector in each end.

Another way to detect a leak is to pressureise the system up with dry Nitrogen to 12 bar or so to try and show up small leaks again you can only detect with soapy water so it's down to access again.

As for the leak stop additives some are an Oil that swells O Rings to seal them so not much help if its not a connection O Ring that's leaking.

As for seperate component isolation very hard as no stop valves in the system its vaccumed and charged as a whole so would require componant removal and blanking and seperate testing you can't even isolate the high side from the low side.

As most systems only hold approximately 600g -1200g R134a  it only needs a minsqual leak to loose the charge.

In systems that are very hard to find a leak in industrial applications we use a Helium Nitogen mix but expensive and the Helium detectors are expensive but must admit they seak out the very smallest of leaks.

• Like 1

Thanks.