free hit
counters
SJ Exhaust Manifold - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

SJ Exhaust Manifold

Hi folks,

I have a 1986 S3 N/A. The engine is out of the car having some work done. While its out the fuel tanks are going to be replaced and im also thinking of changing the exhaust manifold to the S/S one from SJ. Does anyone have any experience of this one? also ill need to get the studs to attach to the head. Can someone let me know how many there are. Im thinking 8?

None of this is being done by me btw.

Many Thanks in advance folks. :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I fitted an SJ manifold on mine last year.Biggest problem we had was getting the 4:1 collector fitted onto the branches once the engine was back in the car and then persuading the collector far enough forward so the pipe that goes to the intermediate silencer didn't touch the chassis. Did it eventually and it's been fine for the last 6 months since sorting that out. I know @slewthy fitted one to his Esprit about 2 years ago. Give him a PM and i'm sure he'd give you an update on how it's been performing

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

Always had issues with the 4.1 link. Can't get it forward enough to stop a leak. Engine coming out next couple of weeks anyway so will see what is up.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

As I recall SJ do a S3 N/A manifold for not a lot of money - certainly far less than the SS one that your talking about.

Obviously the SS one would last longer but in my experience the standard manifold will last 10 years or so and last time I looked was 3 or 4 times less than the SS one. 

Hi Brett,

I have mounted the SJ SS 4 in 1 manifold on my S2.2 in oktober 2014

I did not use the intermediate silencer and welded in a flexpiece instead. This makes more noise, but I get complemented a lot by other esprit owners or car enthousiasts for the sound, my esprit has. Of course that is a choise to make, louder or more comfort. But in my opinion the flex piece I welded in is important to remove the stress out of the exhaustpipe system when expanding and crimping when it is cold or hot. I have to say (look at my topic) , there was a problem with fitting , that was also solved by welding in the flexpiece

You can see lots of pictures in this topic: https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/67811-oopsmayonaise/?page=4

About the exhaust stuts. There are 12pc and I made them myself out of a Stainless Steel threaded shaft

EDIT:

I could see that the series 2 and series 3 do not have the same system .

Greets

Geert

Edited by gvy

the weight of the cast iron manifold is much higher then that of the Stainless Steel tubular manifold. There is a lot more material used. I dont know which is best. I always had trouble with my cast iron manifold, but that was because it was cracked so I have no real comparison. So far I am happy with the 4 in 1 Stainless Steel manifold. Fact is that a cast Iron manifold is heavy and keeps its heat much longer than the thin tubes of a SS manifold, but I have no idea if that is better or worse. In the beginning, I could sometimes see the Stainless Steel manifold start glowing red in the dark and it worried me, but I never had any problem with it and yes the engine and ignition is well set (the engine is fast and responsive).

In my S2.2 I take the engine out down. With the cast iron manifold it can be done with the manifold still attached to the block. With the Stainless Steel , that is not possible and it must be removed and installed with the engine in the car. On the other hand the nuts can be reached better, so this is no real problem.

Geert

Edited by gvy

Pretty sure mike at lotusbits does a SS full system for the 2.2 n/a engine. ?   Also as Barrie says the option with just fitting a new standard manifold is always a good option also,  I had one on my S3, with the rest of the system in stainless from SJ sportscars,  the centre box was deleted with a straight through pipe from them.  Sounded very nice and throaty without been to ott.

Easily fitted the standard system from underneath and below the car, just depends on what state your manifold nuts and studs are like !  Make sure you order the new manifold nuts from sjs or such like, cant remember what they where made off, but iirc they are designed to be a bit easier to remove in the future ?

Good luck with what ever you decide, plenty of options out there, just depends on your budget and what end result you are looking at power wise,  :thumbup:

A

16 hours ago, Big Vern said:

So Colin, what was the magic answer? 

A mallet

5 hours ago, silverfrost said:

Make sure you order the new manifold nuts from sjs or such like, cant remember what they where made off, but iirc they are designed to be a bit easier to remove in the future ?

Been mentioned on here before but I suggest you use High temperature K Nuts, especially if you go with a replacement cast iron manifold

• Like 1

I have the SJ system, too. Recently fitted a 2nd system as the first one cracked after about ten years but not much mileage, possibly due to the heat/cold stress and movement of engine. The newer system uses a better clamping design on the 4 to 1 section. I too have a very slight leak to deal with on the section where the 4 pipes merge. Still contemplating removing and shoving a load of sealant with the highest temperature specification that can be found or exhaust paste, the trick is to fit it all together before the paste or sealant sets as it has to be one of the most awkward jobs to do as the exhaust is not compatible with any hitting implements to get it on to the four separate down pipes! It's shape and access is a pain to get any purchase.. so much faffing and foffing and expletives!!! Also use the copper coated nuts and washers/copper grease to help prevent nuts/studs seizing.

• Like 1

I fitted an exhaust U clamp to the pipe just behind the 4:1 reducer and hit that with a mallet to finally get mine into position. I was left with a few scratches on the stainless when the clamp was removed but nothing significant and no leaks since.

• Like 1

There is some great info here so i really appreciate the responses. I think i may take the plunge with the SS manifold and give the info above to my mechanic. I'll keep you updated on progress

Many Thanks again folks. :)

Is the space on an S3 much different/smaller than the Turbo??  We installed the Alunox header as 1 piece this past summer. Wasn't all that hard to get into place at all from underneath.

Jon - 1984 Esprit Turbo

• 3 weeks later...

With respect to the exhaust manifold from SJ - it is not meant as a performance item. It is a cheap replacement for the cast manifold. It is a 4 into 1 manifold that does not have matched length primaries.

The primaries are ony 1.5" diameter. It is a poor design for perfomance which will seriously reduce the torque of the engine. They also touch the chasis Making  noise and then after 12 months or so they crack where the tubes attach to the flanges.

You would be better off with the standard system than the SJ one.

Roland,

About the primaries. To Big primaries would reduce torque in the low and mid revs. So the choise for the primaries is fine.

I have the SJ system fitted since end 2014 and drove about 9000km with it . Uptill now it did not crack, nor did it give problems or rattles. I will inform the forum if this should happen.

The system did not fit to the endmuffler, when I bought it. I had to adjust and weld in a flex piece ( This should be in it anyway to release stress in my  humble opinion.)

The system does not touch the chassis, but for an S2 or S2.2  there is a removable chassis crossbrace that has to be altered to make it fit.  This is mentioned by SJ.  In my topic I show how I did it on my car.  I did notice that SJ does now supply this part as well.

In my case the system performs better then the original cast and the weight is way down.

I have to mention, The system for an S1 or S2 is not the same as for an S3 and of course not for a turbo Esprit

Edited by gvy
  • Like 1

I must say that I had a good look at the Lotus Bits system at the Classic Car show and it did look nice, went with the SJ system nonetheless. Time will tell if that turn outs to be a false economy, Not done nearly as many miles as Geert with mine but all good so far.

• 2 months later...

I think there may have been some batch variation with SJs manifold. I had an issue with the first one i fitted many years ago where the welds on the flanges broke. Steve at SJ took it back and repaired it free of charge. This happened again so I replaced it with another from SJ which has been fine for nearly 10 years and about 15000 miles. I agree with Geert that a flexi joint is a very sensible addition to the centre pipe, a job I keep meaning to get done as I'm sure that would have solved the cracked weld issues.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

I've often worried about my s/s S1 exhaust I bought from SJ. It has no flexi pipes in it at all and when the engine turns over it must move on the mounts which would stress the exhaust which is bolted solid on the back.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Steve does a pipe with no silencer for the mid section, but no flexi either ( I've got one ready to fit)...just need the manifold section now :-(

• 2 weeks later...

I had another fight with the exhaust yesterday and today, disconnecting the 4:1 and loosening the manifold down pipes, loads of copper sealant into the 4:1 pipes, re-aligned and cursed a bit.... hammered on with the exhaust U bolt idea. What I have noticed now though is that the main pipe with the flexi is just about touching one of the chassis pipes...ARGGGHHHHHHH.:angry: Appears to be no leaks now though,:) will see how it fares on a trip to Castle Coombe tomorrow!