free hit
counters
Dyno results : please show yours ! - Page 3 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Dyno results : please show yours !

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

so  ... here's my report !  yesterday was sunny but chilly, and I arrived after 1,5 hour of travel at the Exigence Racing facilities ... friendly welcome, warm coffee, and the work began. it took

EX370 kit will be fitted tomorrow on my car  ... Can't wait ! I plan to have it dynoed next week-end, on the same rolling road (even though I now know for sure front rollers  cannot be synchronized to

you mean dinos, then,  Bibs  ? I don't like them either  !  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, French Frie said:

EX370 kit will be fitted tomorrow on my car :blush: ... Can't wait ! I plan to have it dynoed next week-end, on the same rolling road (even though I now know for sure front rollers  cannot be synchronized to rear ones) ... it will also be measured on a sync. rolling road at some time in the incoming months , so we'll see the difference !

can't wait too :P share share shareeeeeeeeeeeee :lol::lol: picture, video, sound !!!!! 

• Like 1

Thanks Kristof, I'll do my best ! But if you can interpretate the info, I've seen a graph of a EX430, where the lambda value was 0,6/0,7 through the rpm range, until 6800 rpm (WOT ?) where it climbs to 1,1 ... is it a useful info ?

By the way, one new dyno graph added to my poll, found on Facebook from a french tuner, involved in LEC ...

stock value was 323hp for this 360 Cup :blush:!  They said they fitted sport manifolds, decat pipe, sport air filter and a custom map, and gained 60 hp, to a more healthy result :383hp !

IMG_1105.JPG

24 minutes ago, French Frie said:

Thanks Kristof, I'll do my best ! But if you can interpretate the info, I've seen a graph of a EX430, where the lambda value was 0,6/0,7 through the rpm range, until 6800 rpm (WOT ?) where it climbs to 1,1 ... is it a useful info ?

@French Frie --Olivier, that can't be right ….. .6/.7 lambda would be pig rich A/F ratios and 1.1 at 6800rpms would be super lean??

http://www.partssa.com/downloads/2040198/Conversion+Table+lambda+air+fuel+ratio.pdf

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

6 minutes ago, French Frie said:

By the way, one new dyno graph added to my poll, found on Facebook from a french tuner, involved in LEC ...

stock value was 323hp for this 360 Cup :blush:!  They said they fitted sport manifolds, decat pipe, sport air filter and a custom map, and gained 60 hp, to a more healthy result :383hp !

IMG_1105.JPG

The standard figures are almost identical to my car that was on the dyno today, ( fitted with lotus sport exhaust)

These cars are mega sensitive to exhaust changes, with a standard map the lotus supplied exhaust are pretty dam good.

We tried four or five silencers today and the lotus sport exhaust came out on top.

A remap would make a fairly big difference looking at some of the data. These cars are heavily torque limited all the way through the rev range!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Jack said:

Olivier, that can't be right ….. .6/.7 lambda would be pig rich A/F ratios and 1.1 at 6800rpms would be super lean??

http://www.partssa.com/downloads/2040198/Conversion+Table+lambda+air+fuel+ratio.pdf

Yes they are pig rich!!!!!!!!!?

The drop off shortly after 6500rpm looks like the car was in TOUR mode to me.

The standard car trace fading after 6000rpm looks wrong, definitely something going on that is restricting power.

You're right Jonny... and each time, power is down due to a shorten rpm limit, and each time max torque values are better than specs ! So, if max rpm was reached, power outputs would be better ...

@Seriouslylotus: thanks To share, Dave ... when you're saying "exhaust", you mean the full line or just the silencer ? Because my understanding was that silencer alone counts for nothing in power improvement...

7 minutes ago, The Pits said:

The drop off shortly after 6500rpm looks like the car was in TOUR mode to me.

The standard car trace fading after 6000rpm looks wrong, definitely something going on that is restricting power.

On the dyno today (4 wheel version with front wheels turning) we tried all the modes, they where all identical in terms of power/torque (very very tiny differences but really not worth mentioning)

The only difference between them all is with the standard exhaust when the valve is closed (the torque is about 10-15nm less)

Obviously the DPM settings make big differences to the traction/stability systems but the rear wheel out put on my car today, nope they are all the same

We could rev all the way to rev limit but there is little point as past 6500 the power really does start to drop off

@Jack: here is a part of the graph ... horizontal lines are both lambda values, on two runs, and scale for lambda is on the right ... you can notice that the drop in power and the rise of lambda value are exactly at the same rpm !

IMG_1106.PNG

Edited by French Frie

Based on the real world performance of the cars it is overwhelmingly more likely that the cars aren't making their true power on the dyno for whatever reason than they all left the factory with 320bhp. If that was the case then everyone else is wildly exaggerating their power figures too.

8 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Based on the real world performance of the cars it is overwhelmingly more likely that the cars aren't making their true power on the dyno for whatever reason than they all left the factory with 320bhp. If that was the case then everyone else is wildly exaggerating their power figures too.

Very few cars from any manufacturer actually have the qouted power. The qouted numbers are usually based on engine dyno cell figures without alternators etc etc and in very controlled environment.

When I worked for a large well known German brand, we selected the very best 1% of the hand built engines for the press fleet to make sure they where close to claimed power.

I ran a BMW m3 E46 in the kumho champion ship and even after lots of mapping, different exhaust etc etc I was still 5-8 bhp short of the factory claimed figures.

Rolling roads are best used as a bench mark,8use the same place after mods and compare the difference.

It's very very easy to get a rolling road to give  'improved numbers' if that what someone wants. One example is set the dyno to test in 5 the gear. Then sneak a test in fourth- wham big power improvement.

Not saying that's what happens but looking at all the info being posted there are some wildly different results from essentially the same cars

21 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Very few cars from any manufacturer actually have the qouted power. The qouted numbers are usually based on engine dyno cell figures without alternators etc etc and in very controlled environment.

When I worked for a large well known German brand, we selected the very best 1% of the hand built engines for the press fleet to make sure they where close to claimed power.

I ran a BMW m3 E46 in the kumho champion ship and even after lots of mapping, different exhaust etc etc I was still 5-8 bhp short of the factory claimed figures.

Rolling roads are best used as a bench mark,8use the same place after mods and compare the difference.

It's very very easy to get a rolling road to give  'improved numbers' if that what someone wants. One example is set the dyno to test in 5 the gear. Then sneak a test in fourth- wham big power improvement.

Not saying that's what happens but looking at all the info being posted there are some wildly different results from essentially the same cars

9 hours ago, French Frie said:

@Jack: here is a part of the graph ... horizontal lines are both lambda values, on two runs, and scale for lambda is on the right ... you can notice that the drop in power and the rise of lambda value are exactly at the same rpm !

IMG_1106.PNG

In any case, it is making more power (green line) with leaner AFRs, just like I suspected these aftermarket remaps will do.  Measuring AFTER the cat, I can assure you that the stock tune, full stock car a WOT is at +- 11:1 at 3000 rpms and goes all the way rich to 10:1 at 6800 rpm.  Now, measuring this on another car here on the forum without cat, we saw figures even richer than 10:1 but the AEM/Bosch system we use can't measure richer than 10:1, so it just shows "--:--" 

The green line is slightly leaner, so makes sense.  The drop off to super lean > 6500 rpm can't be right; guess they let off the accelerator or rev limiter kicked in?  Just curious as to why the stock tune is this rich and if power is not "easily" found by the aftermarket community running leaner AFRs at WOT...

Edited by Kristof Thys

@Seriouslylotus: Dave, I rather think that all the stock dyno tests are quite similar :between 320 and 330bhp, before any improvement... regarding your comment about silencers, I made 330hp, but with a komotec silencer... I thought it didn't change anything, but maybe it has helped !

anyway, I'm now in the workshop for the EX370 fitting, and will give you my first impressions by the end of the day, before another run on the same dyno in few days ...

@Kristof Thys: I assume the rich mixture is there to cool the engine, and especially the top of pistons... going a bit leaner can be safe, but much leaner can be devastating ! 

So reading between the lines.....

If someone attempted to tune a stock car with leaner AFR they would likely see gains? Has anyone tried this then?

The next step would then be stock car with an aftermarket exhaust and a tune yields.....

Then a stock car with SSC / Lotus Motorsport induction and a tune yields......

Edited by RedViper

Last clue, given by Exigence Racing : when they tested the EX430 kit, the first graph was also cutting at 6750 rpm, just like the other curves shown... then they tested on a synchronized front rollers, and were able to reach the 7200 limit ! So here should be the problem, IMHO ...

I have contacted a tuner for a dyno test. The guy tells me that it could be necessary to remove undertray panel in order to "attach" the car during the dyno. They don't have experience with the Exige V6 but with older models.

Besides I have ordered a KN Air filter.

22 minutes ago, geartox said:

I have contacted a tuner for a dyno test. The guy tells me that it could be necessary to remove undertray panel in order to "attach" the car during the dyno. They don't have experience with the Exige V6 but with older models.

Besides I have ordered a KN Air filter.

Why bother with a dyno run?

Have you had some upgrades??