free hit
counters
White S4 - Light interior & exterior refresh - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

White S4 - Light interior & exterior refresh

@Jacques thanks :-) i shall

and yes i will change those gaskets at the same time

As for the photo, im working on an automotive photo journal at the moment so have photographer and videographer at my disposal, so will have a lot of really nice photos of this car coming - and plenty others

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A cheeky side view for you @franjipane ;-)

Hi All, So i bought my first Esprit - its a 1990 Monaco white S4, navy blue / black interior. I bought the car from Mark @lotuseaters, car drives fantastically. Idle is a bit lumpy so needs a lig

So gents,  My attention has moved outside for the time being, and the paint overall is pretty good, just a few light cracks where panels join and a bit of  lacquer peel, all I will sort in time.

Posted Images

Quick update gents, vents and heater now working! Heat isn't the best so i will flush the heater matrix, but some heat is better than no heat!

Also sorted new 'old' stereo.

In other interior news, i've been rubbing creams into leather for a few weeks now and its a lot cleaner, softer and the colour is coming through nicely. Seats will require reconditioning, possibly a retrim but will see.

Next step is speakers and center console, these will be cleaned, grills resprayed in satin black and possibly upgraded if too old.

IMG_20170220_130007 (1).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So gents, question, what to do about this steering wheel - now i do not like the look, and thought it was a nasty aftermarket one - however is this a 'shuttle' wheel which was fitted to later gt3 and v8 cars?

If so, should it stay? or should i sell / swap it for a more original item?

I've ordered a new gear knob and heater panel which will arrive friday

IMG_20170227_225457_481.jpg.7c332a9dfc10327f93413881f7cd0ebd.jpg

• Gold FFM

That's the same as the one on my '98 GT3.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Looks very similar to the original one in older Esprits (like the SE), only without the padding. I quite like! I should find a centercap so I can get rid of the padding on mine.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 1 month later...

No, to the best of my knowledge, it's not original, nor from an SE. My SE have an original Nardi with a rubber center pad with the Lotus emblem.

And the later Momo versions did not have the added (sewed) on padding around 3 and 9 o'clock.

Anyway, nice steering Wheel.

Rub it Down, and give it a good treatment from say Furniture Clinic. You'll like it.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• Gold FFM

You're right Jacques, the SE's is similar in shape but has bare metal for the 3 and 9 o' clock spokes.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

@Escape @Jacques thanks for the info, I'm not a fan of the wheel but it is actually

Very comfortable to use and part of the cars past so I will be leaving it for now.

What is proving difficult is the gear knobox as the lovely wooden one I bought dosent fit so I am looking for a sensible alternative. Might go for a plain aluminium one with no markings or branding as I want to keep it classy 

In other news the car has been very reliable, i use it for everything at the moment and even did a road trip with the female to for a weekend of country houses and it didnt miss a beat, very pleased with it.

Imoboliser has been removed without any fuss which is another plus

• Gold FFM

James, great to hear you're driving and enjoying it!

James, you should look for an original steering Wheel, and use the good Momo meanwhile. And if you have an hour or two, clean off the color on the steering Wheel leather, and colour it all Black. Then apply full matte clearcoat on top. CAn be done witha  sponge if you reherse it a bit. Dry with a heatgun at a secure distance. Your Momo will look really great. I've done this to many friends steering Wheels, gearknobs and geatstick leather pouches, and it really looks great. Like new. Remember to thoroughly vacuumclean and possibly make a small dust free cabin while doing the leather Work. It pays to do so. Products are many, but I've used the one I mentioned earlier many times with 100% success.

Do you have the Lotus Service Notes and the Lotus Parts List? Very good to have.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks @Jacques!  i may have to pick your brains further on this as its definitely something i'd like to do.

What products did you use? im no stranger to paint work but have never done any on leather. Could the same be done to door cards also?

I don't have those lists no but i presume they are around the forum somewhere?

Hi James,

The lists are a part of Lotus Service Notes. The parts list are in a yellow binder if original. But if you become a full member on here, that list is free for download with the Blessings of Lotus, as they support Clubs, sites etc. with this free download. But available to you when a full member.

The rest of Lotus Service Notes consists of a basic binder (in Black for your S4) and a variety of additional books (some times more like chapters). There is one for additional electrical information, and one for say the charge cooler engine, one for additional info on SIR (airbags) and one for abs brakes. And so on. Depensing on your specific car with it's model year plus eventual extra equipment like airbags, abs brakes, powersteering etc, you need these extra books (or chapters) as they are very good on those subjects and saves you lots of time and grief if need be.

The parts list book are super to have for lists of parts to order, drawings of where and how etc.

To sum it up, I'd say they are totally invaluable, if you have a Lotus (or more Lotus cars).

With regards to the leather colourant, there are many products on the market. Some works better than others. Some last better than others. and generally speaking, they are easy enough to Work with. Personally, I've used products from the UK from Furniture Clinic, which I am very satisfied with. I've also seen some which Wears off rather quickly. On my Corrado, I've used it often for more than six years, and it still Works and looks good.

They (Furniture Clinic) have a standard sortiment of colours and can mix any colour you want. Their leather colour is based on a colourant and a top coat in clear, being that mat or shiny or anywhere in between. On top of that is a variety of extra products, which may or will be needed to make a better result. For example, there is a leather binder, to make the fibers in the leather stick together better (I've used that); there is another called x-link or cross link to make Things act better together (I've used that); there is one which is called leather softener (I've used that) which makes your leather softer, if it's dried out (air con makes it worse) and is used after the original or later colourant is completely rinsed off, but before using other products like new colour etc.

Then there are packages with colour, prep (removal of colour), and clear coat. They come in a variety of sizes. I've only bought a few of the biggest kit, and used those. Then I've additionally ordered more prep, the other products mentioned in the above and a generally speaking, I at least, use a lot more prep (colour remover) than described.

Application is done either with a sponge, or a special sponge or a mini spray gun, coupled to a can of air. That Works very bad (the air can) and gives splattering all over, and runs dry of any air very quickly. I used a hobby compressor to 230 Volt in stead and turned Down air pressure to a suitable lower leves. The mini spray gun in itself is working well, as long as you remember to clean it thorughly every single time, inclyding the glass. Also when refilling with more mix.

It is of ABSOLUTELY paramount importance, that you make a suitable place to Work in, when colouring or adding clear coat. Vacuum clean 3-4 times, then build a cabin, or cover floor, walls etc. with thin clear plastic (like for painting indoor), and then prevent ANY draft etc. Move slowly around so you yourself prevent the movement of any dust. Also spray dust.

Dry with a heatgun on a fairly long distance or a hair dryer. I prefer a heatgun.

This way you can Work much more fast and do a Whole cabin in a prolonged weekend, like Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I've done a few cabins, many steering Wheels, etc. as described earlier. It gives very strong surface, which does not Wear. It last pretty good and is very resistant to fading in sun light etc.

I would say that if one orders a medium kit, tahke a large in stead and buy extra prep (cleaner). Say 1 or 2 Liter extra (for a Whole cabin.

Doing a few door Cards, is very easy. take off any Things on those you don't want coloured like speakers, grilles, plastiv switches etc, and make sure you spray in apprx 1 meter over floor level and preferably horisontally. THIN layers! And not too many layers, as ít will make the leather feel unnatural. And don't leave the spray booth/cabin untill you are sure it the colourant won't bind any dust etc.

Most steering Wheels I done in hand with a sponge.

I am not in any way Affiliated with Furniture Clinique, but will absolutely recommend them as they seem more pro to Work with and last better. Also, you may want to use their leather cleaner and leather protection cream as I do. It Works well on closed top colourings. For old style open top leather, use for example Leather-iq instead.

Furniture Clinique often gave fairly good discounts.

Whn you Work on an item made in leather (Works just as well on nappa, plastic etc.), remember to give some thoughts to what part you are actually working on. A steering Wheel is a high stress area in surface treatment, because it is touched all the time, moved around on, receives a lot of contaminants like grease from hands, and because it is also subjected to both aircon, heat systems and sunlight.

Btw. they also have great extra Things like leather diller in various densities and I've used them too. By exercise, you can manually obtain the exact same durface pattern on a piece covered in latex (leather filler) an the better you prepare, sand etc, the more invisible it looks afterwards. Exactly like painting your Esprit.

I've also used leather repair kits like a piece of cloth you glue under the crack in the surface of the leather, and then fill it out with "filler", then make a surface treatment to make it look like the original surface grain etc, and then aplly all the above colouring etc.

You can use it on your sofa, a handbag, a bicycle saddle etc. I've done that too and it Works just as well.

Have fun! It's easy and Works very well.

Hope this answers your question. If not, please ask Again.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• Like 1

@Jacques That is absolutely fantastic thank you!

I will definitely be trying this out - I've done a lot of paintwork before so in many ways its similar, lots of prep and keeping areas clean.

I really need to be a full member too so i'll sort that

thanks again :-)

• 2 months later...

Hmm, I think you are in the absolutely last moment to save that rear spoiler, before it flies off all by itself ;)

Looking forward to seeing the result.

I like the last Picture. I notice the 1993 m.y. lower front bib spoiler and the 1989 (?) side mirrors. All suiting the car well.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Thanks @Jacques, i do love the look but must admit i have no idea whats original and what isnt. The mirrors are super neat though, i wonder where they came from as im guessing lotus borrowed it from something? 

Ill get some more pics up soon, full member now :-)

Originally, the Citroën CX  ;)

But used on other cars as well, such as:

Aston Martin DB7, Virage, Vantage, V8
Jaguar XJ220
McLaren F1
Lotus Excel

Marcos Mantis
TVR Griffith, Chimera, S4

Jacques

If you wanted to put it back to original you would lose the wing for this model, personally i really like it and as mods go it's not outrageous or anything.

The front half of the car is looking great, don't forget to post a picture of the whole car once you've got the wing back on!

Took some quick pics this evening, gives you a better view of the current body condition.

Once the spoiler is done the rear bumpers will come off to be sprayed.

IMG_20170814_194506.jpg

IMG_20170814_194530.jpg

IMG_20170814_194549.jpg

• 4 months later...

Cheers,

Did you use the clearcoat after prepping and repaiting the parts?

I will be much more resillient against uv radiation, much wear resistant and better looking. You can as I think I may have mentioned, tone add the matte-finish in any grade you like. Make a sample to ressemble the other parts after they have been thoroughly cleaned.

Looks very good. Well done ;)

Jacques.