free hit
counters
White S4 - Light interior & exterior refresh - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Cabbage

White S4 - Light interior & exterior refresh

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi James - welcome to the Esprit Owners Club :thumbsup:

Looks great, best colour as well. 1st picture is ace. Candidate for picture of the month? @The Pits

That's an N/A engine, G reg, so a Stephens rather than an S4 - fairly rare I think.

Same age as my Excel, is the gear knob a black ford sierra type jobbie? If it is I think that is the correct one as it's the same as my Excel is meant to have. Maybe same steering wheel as well. Post some piccys.

Hope we see the car at our monthly meetings?

Chris

If you haven't done so already, get the belts changed as it has done very few miles over the past 10 years.

@ChrisJ i honestly thought stephens and s4 were the same thing, but yes your spot on its an NA, not sure if its an HC motor, could be as the excel had an HC motor at this point.

Mark @lotuseaters bundled a fresh belt change in when i bought it so its done about 20 miles since :-)

Your spot on about the miles, its done very little, but how did you know?

I'll take some interior pics, but it has a nasty aftermarket gearknob and a nice but ugly momo steering wheel. I used to love the original wood gearknob of my old Excel so wanted to fit similar, but would this look out of place?

I'll definitly come to a meet, i sold my Excel before i managed to get to one last time.

@Barrykearley Thanks :-), love you thread :-), i was reading that months ago

• Like 1

First time I've driven a NA was the weekend - great fun actually. 

The mileage - you can check any car on the mot history checker. It's brilliant as you can see all the advisory items on a car over time. Yours has low miles over  the last 10 years and very few advisory items - none of which are even remotely worrying. It's always a good check - gives you a real insight into what might or might not have been doneIMG_0999.PNGIMG_1001.PNGIMG_1002.PNG

Only here once

I think they were all HC engines by then - same as my Excel, and it's a great engine, really smooth.

Phew to the belts :) As to the miles 1st port of call is the MOT website. Barry beat me to it.

The standard Excel gear knob is a really crappy ford one. I think the Esprit of the same year might have had the same. I've got a conical wooden one in my Excel and looks great - similar are available on ebay. @Sparky might be making some wooden ones :) Check out interior pics of a Stephens car cars - think this is a turbo, but I guess the N/A's are the same.

Lotus_Esprit_Interior.jpg

Lovely car, and very reasonable on the price also for such a nice looking car :thumbup:

A

A lovely car indeed! I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot, they're great cars to drive. Maybe not as fast as the turbo/SE, but very lively. :-)

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

9 hours ago, Cabbage said:

i honestly thought stephens and s4 were the same thing

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/models.html

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EModels/NA.html

:)

I had an NA for 7 years, loved it but eventually traded up to an SE. My old NA is in much better fettle than in my hands now owned by @mdw . I've known the car for 25 years now and am really glad it's local and so well looked after. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

@ChrisJ Yes thats exactly what the interior looks like, minus the gear knob and wheel. I much prefer the wooden excel style knob so thats a possible route, as for steering wheel i shall try to find one similar to in the picture.

Otherwise everything else is exactly the same.

@Bibs @Barrykearley I didn't think of checking the mot's online, but i shall note it for next time. The service history with this car is incredible, a full timeline of everything thats been done since early 00's along with lal paperwork, recipts etc.

My plan is to firstly use it a bit, and to slowly get it immaculate. 

Performance wise it definitely isn't the quickest, even compared to my older Porsche's, however - the experience is fantastic and is a far more special, so im not that bothered. Of course if there are any light mods or tweaks then im always up for improving things a tad, but there won't be any heavy mods. My goal for the engine bay is to get it clean, make sure ignition system is as efficient as possible, maybe msd coil and magnacore leads etc.

Whats the difference between mine and the Esprit S?

• Like 1

The Esprit S was fuel injected rather than carbs, they didn't make many. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Those fuel lines look old to me. Make sure to check and/or change all that stuff ASAP. 

• Like 1

Jon - 1984 Esprit Turbo

@jcslocum Thanks, i was thinking the same myself, they definitely feel brittle. Im going to remove the access panels this weekend and have a look. Im putting together fresh fuel lines for another project car at the moment so i have everything i need to replace it anyway.

Project updated - so the first breakdown is out of the way!

I must admit my heart sank a little when i bought the car and saw the immobiliser plug - i have only had to call the RAC out twice in my decade of driving old cars, both occasions have been because an immobiliser system has died.

It would seem the immobiliser went completely crazy on me at the traffic lights and cut everything out, had to call out RAC and manually fiddle around to get it to start, in the end triggering starter solenoid manually after completely shutting off immobiliser.

Im going to have a better look over the weekend. I've build ignition systems from scratch before so there is a good chance i'll be able to remove this unit myself.

Otherwise the drive went without fault. I still need to get low rpm's running a tad smoother, but thats not a major issue.

Pants news James, but glad you have an idea of what the problem is,  yes old imobilizers are always a pain in the arse, hopefully its not an old thatcham unit as the decent aftermarket systems wiring used to be well hidden and taped in the cars loom to prevent theives tracing the wires quickly. 

On the bright side at least it was not mechanical failure :thumbup:

A

Just find the immob black box and it should be very obvious if you know what you are looking at !!

Only here once

@silverfrost @Barrykearley Thanks, yea i have a breif look at the roadside and im pretty sure i can see where everything is, so i should be able to work it out.

As you say, at least its not a mechanical problem :-)

• Like 1

Mine did just the same after filing with fuel at a marks&sparks petrol station.

luckily - I had a knife and some gaffer tape on hand - and a picture of the immod wiring on my phone. I got some very strange looks !!

• Like 1

Only here once

Afternoon gents - so i found the immobiliser manual in the service history and was able to reset the unit - this seems to have solved my issue. I still plan to remove it, but for now it starts and drives without fault.

But - now the central locking won't work, it makes the right noises, but doesn't lock or unlock the doors, strangely i cannot manually lock the doors anymore, whereas i could before, so very odd. 

Heater still isn't working, i know the matrix gets hot as if you leave it long enough heat naturally rises from the windscreen vents, it just seems the flap isn't directing the fan airflow correctly. There is plenty of info on the forum to solve this so im working my way through it.

As a result of this investigation - i did find an air leak in the vacuum hose coming from the inlet manifold.

I do have pictures but having issues getting them in post, will post them later

Edited by Cabbage
  • Like 1

Small update - realised that the brakes are not just 'really bad' but infact lacking any vacuum, likely related to the same vacuum heater issue i have.

Daylight has stopped me properly following the tubes, my next step is to take of the passenger side engine bay panel to access where the vacuum hose goes into it, i believe there is a vacuum tank in here from other pictures i've seen, so i shall check this.

So, question - capert is in good condition but is black and was replaced at some point. I personally feel the carpet would look better in a navy blue to match the rest of the blue interior, but what does everyone else think?

I shall post pictures but it seems i've used my file limit on this page already

Become a full forum member, and that's easily solved ;)

I agree, navy blue carpets would look good. Very nice car you have ;)

Btw. Some people call the first Stevens Esprits an S4 because thaey followed the S3 and Turbo Esprit cars of earlier design. But as we know, it's not so.

Very nice car. And I like your first Picture. Not often we see them from that angle.

Depending of what fuel you use, the gaskets and some other internals in the carbs may be a bit long in the tooth now, so maybe worth looking into, while doing the fuel lines anyway.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)