free hit
counters
Evora S1 ambient lighting - Page 4 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora S1 ambient lighting

Yes please, great work :thumbup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
8 hours ago, Foxy said:

Yes, I definitely want one please! Would be a little churlish if I didn’t seeing as I ‘started it’! 

Re. Distribution- I’m not looking to make anything out of it. But if you wanted to send all the UK ones to me I could collect money and ship from here. Sounds like that could save $15 to 20 per kit?

How many are you up for making? Would you want to open this up to the Facebook group?

I'm not sure how large the FB group is, or how many would be interested.  Since there's only one of me, building any large quantities is likely untenable in a part-time hobby capacity. 

Let's get through this first TLF batch and see how it goes from there. I've placed the order for 5 more sets of components and will begin assembling when I return from a business trip on Friday. 

Many thanks!

Looks easy!!! 🤯 For me, not! I have a 'phobia' about electrics... no idea why!

I may well get my local trim shop to do this as, amongst other things, removing the sill panel looks like a PITA. 

Great guide though :>) 👍

Pete 

Great instructions, @agentdr8 I must admit I'm feeling a bit daunted by the trim removal, more so than the electrical work. I might have to get my dealer to assist.

Can I assume I can do most of the electrical work without removing the trim for the dome light connection? It would be nice to at least do that much myself.

If you've never removed the trim, it can definitely feel like a daunting task. The great thing is the material Lotus used for the base of these trim pieces (SRIM) is extremely strong, so there should be less concern about causing damage. 

That said, the majority of the install can be done without removing any of the trim. In fact, if one were to choose to defer hooking up the dome light wire pass-thru harness, you'll have the first "stage" of the mod completed, in which case the mood lighting will come on with the headlights, but the dome light will as well if it's in the Auto position. 

• Like 1

On 15/09/2018 at 08:48, agentdr8 said:

Here is the install guide. Please let me know if there are any questions, or if any steps need to be more in-depth. I forgot to take a picture of the roof harness 2 pass-thru connector plugged in, but it should look exactly like the existing connector. 

Evora Mood Lighting Wiring Kit Install Guide.pdf

Amazing work, thanks!

As an aside, I wish that couriers had never invented tracking numbers. I remember the good old days when packages just turned up. These days,  I check the tracking information daily, and it frequently doesn't change for several days, you get conflicting information from the originating courier, and the local carrier. And what information they do give is usually worthless. "You package was processed by a facility" 🙄

Still, it's here now 👍

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, pete757 said:

Look forward to the 'fitting report' :>)

BTW, I find DPD to be excellent... the tracking/delivery info is spot on in my 1/2 dozen or so experiences. By contrast, DHL is rubbish! 

I've had a number of bad experiences with DHL, and Parcelforce. This time it was Royal Mail completely letting me down. On the plus side, RM held the package at my local post office pending customs payment. My previous experience with Parcelforce is they keep the package in Coventry, and don't bother telling me there's a payment required!

Ok, stage one is done! It was surprisingly easy thanks to the great instructions. Only moment of confusion was looking for the 8mm bolt to the bottom right of the fuse panel. Of course it's on the left on a RHD car 😀

The hardest part was pulling the D Connector from the ICM. There's a bundle of cables running under it that make it slightly fiddly, but not a big problem 👍

So now the ambient lighting is active when the headlights are on, but so is the dome light if it's switched on, all as expected at this point. 

I've got to say a big thank you to @agentdr8 for making such a great job of the whole thing 👌

Here's the current state of play:

79A1E111-6214-4CA6-8E0A-FBCCE78267EF.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback on the bolt location. I wasn't sure if it was reversed on the RHD cars; but now that I know I can update the install guide accordingly. 

Great job on the install and posting the pic. If you have any questions about the second "phase" let me know and I'll do my best to help out. 

1 hour ago, agentdr8 said:

Thanks for the feedback on the bolt location. I wasn't sure if it was reversed on the RHD cars; but now that I know I can update the install guide accordingly. 

Great job on the install and posting the pic. If you have any questions about the second "phase" let me know and I'll do my best to help out. 

Thanks @agentdr8. Am I all out of shortcuts now? I'm still worried about trying to remove the sill trim panels. If I'm going to do it myself, it will have to wait for a full clear day on a weekend, or I might just choose to pay somebody else for the work.

I'm going to Hethel for the 70th anniversary bash on Saturday, so I might not get time this weekend.

Removing the sill panel is probably the easiest way, although you could also run the wire down the center tunnel and under the back seat. It's possible to remove the rear inside RH quarter panel without pulling the sill panel, but there's about a 2/3" of side panel that sits underneath the sill cover. 

Having done many car audio installs over the years, pulling panels and carpeting to hide wiring is rather second-nature for me. The ultimate goal (from my perspective and experience) is really just to hide wiring to make the install "cleaner" looking. Unfortunately there's no easy way to achieve that without removing at least some of the interior panels. 

• Like 1

Ok, very small update:

The 70th anniversary event was a great opportunity to try a decent run in the car in the dark, with a very early morning start, and returning home quite late. So my impressions of driving the car with the ambient lighting: I like it 👍 I think in an ideal world I'd like it to be just a fraction less bright, but that's a small thing. Actually my biggest issue is that the gap in the dash panels around the steering column allow quite a bright pool of light around my knees. I'm thinking I may cut out a piece of plastic to slot into the gap and block some of the light. None of this has anything to do with @agentdr8's excellent kit of course!

Now that the 70th event is done, I think I'm going to start tackling stage 2 in small steps. I can happily use the car with only one seat for a while. I'll just take the odd hour each evening if I'm not too tired to steadily strip bits out, and I can call on a trusted local garage if I happen to get really stuck with anything. I'll definitely get more sense of satisfaction out of it if I can at least do most of the job myself.

I've been following this and was wondering if they'd be quite bright on the highway late at night. My wife's car has a very tiny REALLY dim LED that very minimally lights the centre console once moving at night. It's so dim that you'd never be able to know it was on unless in a pitch black room, but out on the highway in the dark, it's actually noticeable. 

2 hours ago, pete757 said:

I am not a sparky... but can a potentiometer (resistor) be added so the lights can be dimmed according to taste?

I'm no sparky either, but I suspect that might be possible. It might mean the led strips will also be dimmer with the doors open, but that's not a huge loss.

Well I'm feeling crap following a visit to the dentist, so not much progress today. I've removed the rear seat base and head rests just because it's easy and quick, and I wanted to feel like I've done something.

46CD9FCE-BC1B-4124-A0B4-A8EE5AF4B720.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pete757 said:

I am not a sparky... but can a potentiometer (resistor) be added so the lights can be dimmed according to taste?

In theory, yes. But using a pot to reduce current will incur heat, and while most pots are tolerant to some degree, it would be better to do this via PWM. 

Also, to update everyone on progress, I've got 2 more kits built and should have the remaining 2 done by week's end. 

• Like 1