free hit
counters
Evora S1 ambient lighting - Page 6 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

More importantly, one of the mounting points for the passenger seat is missing the captive nut, so the seat is now held down by only 3 bolts. I had a feel about in the space underneath too try to find the missing nut, but all I found was a decorative polished stone 😀

I had intended to run the wire across the rear of the back seat, but it's not long enough, so I ran it across the front edge of the back seat, tucked behind the carpet. Even that way, it's only just long enough. It may be worth making future kits a couple of inches longer!

My difficulties were all centred around my car, and my own mistakes. The kit, and the instructions are truly excellent. Thanks @agentdr8 you've done a great job 👌

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's what I came up with: Remove passenger floor mat & kick panel, exposing fuse & relay box, and ICM Unmount ICM (1x 8mm nut and 1x 6mm bolt) Disconnect the "D" connect

The first kit is complete! 

I didn't have time to draw up a diagram, but here's how you'd wire the 2 relays: Wire relay A as previously noted: 85 to 12V switched 86 to D9 30 to chassis grou

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Brendonian said:

More importantly, one of the mounting points for the passenger seat is missing the captive nut, so the seat is now held down by only 3 bolts. I had a feel about in the space underneath too try to find the missing nut, but all I found was a decorative polished stone 😀

I had intended to run the wire across the rear of the back seat, but it's not long enough, so I ran it across the front edge of the back seat, tucked behind the carpet. Even that way, it's only just long enough. It may be worth making future kits a couple of inches longer!

My difficulties were all centred around my car, and my own mistakes. The kit, and the instructions are truly excellent. Thanks @agentdr8 you've done a great job 👌

I think I had one of those captive nuts disappear as well when I removed a seat. It took fishing around for about an hour til I located it and was able to grab it with a flexible pickup tool. I think the seat will be fine with 3 bolts, but I'd probably fish around for it at some point, just so it isn't rattling around under the flooring. 

Thanks for the feedback on the kit! I wasn't sure if 10ft was going to be sufficient, as the run on LHD cars is only about 5ft, if that. Plus the spools of wire I order are nicely divided by 10. But I'll keep that in mind and make it 15ft for RHD vehicles. You can also extend the wire with a butt connector or strip the end and solder it and a small length of wire. 

Glad to hear it worked out in the end though. You did an amazing job with the install photos and now you know your vehicle even more intimately :D 

• Thanks 1
On 07/10/2018 at 05:20, trcm said:

I didn't realise there were lights under that part of the dash and glovebox !?

I think the ambient lighting is part of the Premium pack, and it's an all-or-nothing option. So if you have door lighting, you likely have dash lighting as well. There's different LED segments though, each with their own LED light source. So it's possible the one for the dash/glovebox area is out or disconnected. 

I quite like the idea of my door lighting being on with the external lights 😎

but reading this and seeing the pics confirmed I don’t like the idea enough to do it 🤔

Well done though. :) 

• Haha 1

Ok, one more update. This may be useful for anybody else attempting this job. I've managed to sort out the captive nut for the passenger seat :)

For whatever reason, I was expecting to find that the nuts are permanently fixed to the floor (probably thinking back to my old Elise). But actually the floor consists of two layers of aluminium extruded with a gap of around 1.5cm. The nut (2 actually) is actually welded to a nut plate ( part 8 in this diagram https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=6699&MAK=1&MDL=20&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0 ).

The nut plate is free to slide around through the void under the centre tunnel, though it's prevented from moving further outboard by some insulation.

Thing is the carpet is tucked into an opening in the floor, and in my case, the flap of carpet is long enough to push the nut plate out of position.

I went for a little drive without the seat in place, and a tight right hand corner was sufficient to slide the nut plate back to the left where I could retrieve it. My solution for mounting it again was simply to put the nut plate in position, bolt the seat down, and only tuck the carpet back in once it was secure. 

1 hour ago, mik said:

I quite like the idea of my door lighting being on with the external lights 😎

but reading this and seeing the pics confirmed I don’t like the idea enough to do it 🤔

Well done though. :) 

I must admit I'm far from mechanically adept, and I was very daunted by the job. But I gradually got sucked into being a part of this thread, and eventually found myself committed! Since I wound up getting the first kit I obviously felt obliged to just get on with the job, and despite a few setbacks I really enjoyed it. Having said that, I can appreciate it's not a task that everybody will feel up to. I'd be more than happy to assist anybody else tackling the job, but you're not exactly local :D

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So I have 2 additional kits built and ready to send out. I had contacted those next on the list, but haven't heard back. Wasn't sure if everyone was hoping for a single batch to be sent over to the UK to reduce S&P costs or if the interest had just waned. 

Before I spend more time on the final 2, what say everyone? I'm ok shipping them all at once, and let @Foxy sort out local distribution, or send them individually. 

@trcm @Bibs @pete757

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM
15 hours ago, agentdr8 said:

So I have 2 additional kits built and ready to send out. I had contacted those next on the list, but haven't heard back. Wasn't sure if everyone was hoping for a single batch to be sent over to the UK to reduce S&P costs or if the interest had just waned. 

Before I spend more time on the final 2, what say everyone? I'm ok shipping them all at once, and let @Foxy sort out local distribution, or send them individually. 

@trcm @Bibs @pete757

There is a customs charge to pay UK side of £20, so whoever does collect for re-distribution will need to pay that and obvs need re-embursing.  I don’t know if the charge will increase for multiple items??

On 19/10/2018 at 00:16, agentdr8 said:

@trcm @Bibs @pete757

Sorry guys, not been around for a while - I'm happy to distribute as long as I'm not out of pocket!

Re. Import duty - may be worth noting a nominal or low value on the paperwork to a void a big duty hit.

• Like 1
On 21/10/2018 at 05:35, Foxy said:

Sorry guys, not been around for a while - I'm happy to distribute as long as I'm not out of pocket!

Re. Import duty - may be worth noting a nominal or low value on the paperwork to a void a big duty hit.

Based on an import duty calculator site I found, if I set a relatively low value for the items, the duty comes out to 3.06 GBP for the whole shipment. I have no problem covering that cost for whoever would be receiving the shipment. 

So if everyone is in agreement with @Foxy distributing the kits locally, I would just invoice individually, with the shipping divided evenly amongst the group. 

• 1 month later...

Yes, sorry for that. I was busy with a home sale, and then more travel, and this effort slipped my mind. I do still have a few completed kits ready, but based on the import duties, it makes sense to ship as many as possible all at once, rather that individual shipments. In order to do that, I'd need to know exactly how many kits to include in the shipment. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, agentdr8 said:

Yes, sorry for that. I was busy with a home sale, and then more travel, and this effort slipped my mind. I do still have a few completed kits ready, but based on the import duties, it makes sense to ship as many as possible all at once, rather that individual shipments. In order to do that, I'd need to know exactly how many kits to include in the shipment. 

Thanks @agentdr8. It's good to know this hasn't come to and end. I'd still like to see others following in our footsteps!