free hit
counters
Red steering wheels - hell yeah/hell no? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Red steering wheels - hell yeah/hell no?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Saw that on Facebook.

no, no, no and no.

looks like a kid toy!

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

The Evora range needs to hang around it has consistently had good reviews and reception from journalists and enthusiasts alike. It can become the 911 for lotus being developed and tweaked over many years. They have the excite and Elise, I truly how the Evora range hangs around a very long time.

• Like 2

While I would never choose it for any other car, a red steering wheel should always be an option for any Lotus.

It warms my heart to see it return, even if it looks like some mis-shapen sausage with all that elaborate sculpting!

:thumbup:

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM

Ouch. No, no, no. OMG, really!

I hate the newer ( MY12 onwards ) steering wheels for the Evora. There is just too much sculpting going on. Why can't we just go back to slighter smaller diameter, ROUND, more chunky ones.  Don't need all this sculpting/shaping/flat bottomed nonsense.  Bet that was another bloody trend from our Porsche/Audi fanboys.... Yuck....

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

10 minutes ago, The Pits said:

While I would never choose it for any other car, a red steering wheel should always be an option for any Lotus.

It warms my heart to see it return, even if it looks like some mis-shapen sausage with all that elaborate sculpting!

:thumbup:

Like this one?

moss_zpsy8btu2le.jpg

• Like 2

I still don't really get why so many people love alcantara, it's basically just plastic. Yes it might be a nice quality of plastic material, but I think it is mostly down to the marketing men giving a quite boring material an exotic name. If they'd called it polyester-suede I doubt people would rave about it. Whilst it ranks above some other synthetic materials in my world, it does not come close to quality natural materials like leather and silk. There's a thought why isn't silk used by car makers - it's strong and light weight?

@Danelaw maybe it is the marketing but I like the look and feel of it. It makes the inside of a car feel more special in my eyes. When only high end cars had leather it felt special, now leather comes in all cars so is common place. Alcantara is making its way down the chain but for now, for me, it elevates the interior of a car.

• Like 1

I agree with stuart... Having an entire interior made of leather doesnt feel special any more.  Alcantara is also less slippy when on the seats, and also means the seats aren't as cold compared to leather seats... each to their own though!

In the 70s the uprated car interior was velour. I had that in my top of the range Vauxhall Chevette GLS (yes it is/was sad:P) and whilst I would acknowledge the practicality of synthetic materials, owning this got any aspirational desire for such fabrics out of my system, whether they are common or rare. Leather on the other hand stands the test of time.

3 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Like this one?

moss_zpsy8btu2le.jpg

That damn red steering wheel finished his racing career after the impact his head had with it,  What a legend of a man :thumbup:

A

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Cypriot said:

also means the seats aren't as cold compared to leather seats... each to their own though!

I don't tend to sit in my car seats naked so this is not normlly an issue for me. Each to their own though! :devil:

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

:lol: 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Lol. Just don't ask the missus to put the handbrake on...

Interesting point on steering wheel sizes... I always thought smaller was better. A few weeks ago I drove the Elise Cup to Silverstone and then jumped in various race prepped Elise on a test day - what really amazed me was how all had larger diameter steering wheels than that I am used to in the Elise. And what was interested was how much I liked it.

Back on topic, that red steering wheel is a minger. Viewing it on a desktop actually makes it look a little better than when I first saw it on my mobile on FB. Still a minger though.

Based on the original FB post and the various #nonsence (I don't get scatter bombing posts with those things) are we to expect some new special edition of the special edition evora 410 Sport?

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

I think Gales was recently quoted as saying they would continue to have incremental updates to the current evora until its replacement, which he expects will be in 2022.  here is the full article: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/lotus-suv-could-challenge-porsche-macan-2022