free hit
counters
Classic car chase scenes. - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Classic car chase scenes.

I know we have a thread for random clips but recently Ive been watching the following two.

First Bret Sinclair is such a dude. He nails the 70s London look.

Second the Duke Bros nailed the deep south. As a child I wanted to be those boys. Jumping my Raleigh Boxer, then my Ultra Burner over everything I could. When you understand mechanicals as an adult and see the damage those cars took after the jumps...then a quick cut to Bo & luke in the car driving off into the sunset is hilarious but still epic! YEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

There must be millions of others out there

buddsy

• Like 2

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

one for Europa fans, not sure how drivable it would be after that jump.

I know we have a thread for random clips but recently Ive been watching the following two. First Bret Sinclair is such a dude. He nails the 70s London look.   Second the Duke

Posted Images

Great scenes Buddsy especially the General Lee, as you say you can watch the whole front crumple now where as a youngster watching the show it was just legendary! ??

Thought I would add a bit of Lotus magic along with my all time favourite run!

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

27 minutes ago, Buddsy said:

.........my Raleigh Boxer, then my Ultra Burner over everything......

Show off! I only had a 'super burner' Realised after a year or so I could peel all the gold plastic coating off and turn it into a 'chrome burner' Happy days. Get Rad!

• Like 1

Carol Vorderman is an evil b***c in that helicopter!

2 minutes ago, Buddsy said:

Seen the price all of th burners go for on ebay...not far off our Lotusus

buddsy (doin a endo)

Think I'll stick to Lotus' now, at least they only damage the wallet! We were indestructible back then, throwing ourselves and bikes off anything high! 

• Like 1

I watched the original gone in 60 seconds at the cinema in 1974 at 7 years old, the best car chase ever filmed over 40 minutes featuring Eleanor, @Mark Blanchard the original Mach11 Mustang. Recently ordered the DVD from HMV, hoping to relive my youth, what a shit film, poor quality, terrible sound, but the car chase......

DSC_0115.JPG

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

I watched the original gone in 60 seconds at the cinema in 1974 at 7 years old, the best car chase ever filmed over 40 minutes featuring Eleanor, @Mark Blanchard the original Mach 1 Mustang.

Yes the original Gone in 60 seconds was an awesome car chase. It's was a 72 Mach 1 dressing up as a 73 so it looked newer.  They used real Police in the film and one was almost crushed to death when his car rolled.  And Halicki, the main actor was seriously injured when the Mustang was rear ended and span into a light post. He had to recover in hospital before they could begin filming again.  Both scenes were kept in the movie.  Health and safety WTF!

With the risk of being roasted slowly ;) I'd say that a movie like the 1969 "The italian Job", or I'd even go so far as to say "The Pursuaders" tv- series, have car scenes which is way beyond the hill Bill mentality that we see in The Dukes of Hazard. While the later is certainly entertaining, for a good laugh because it's so bad made, the scenery and the driving as well as the cars in the first two movies and sceries, are surely better made in all ways possible. But of course, I've seen them anyway ;)

I am sure our American friends can come up with some better car chase scenes than The Dukes of Hazard, which in my Humble view is crap cars being scrapped in a very strange way ;). But still entertaining. I will suggest the car chase in "Bullit". Nice cars and nice scene. Feels so much better.

A movie like LeMans is not exactly the ordinary sense of car chase, but über nice made.

As for a newer example, which I think wil be a future Classic car chase, I'd suggest the car chase scenes in Ronin. Shorter but very nice made.

I like the original "The Italian Job", very nice movie, nice manuscript, nice made and great car chase scene.

The famous scene with the White Esprit Mk. I, is a goodie amongst all, and stil a bit funny made of course, as the motorcycle involved is honestly totally hopeless, and the big smile of the chopperpilot, is also quite amusing. But the car chase itself is really good. And it's a Lotus ;)

But overall, being "Dukes of Hazzard" or any of the others, I think the cars were somehow more honest in those years. More cars, less computercrap. I like that.

Hmmm. Better go look in my Collection of car-chase-and-related-movies, and enjoy the afternoon and evening ;)

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• Like 2

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

This was a car chase I remember as a Kid from Hooper.  Thought is was great at the time, looks ridiculous now.  A Mach 1 351C gets destroyed and the Trans Am changes into a different car mid air!

This on the other had was good and great to see so many crap French cars crash.

• Like 1

Mark - apparently the M5 in Ronin was RHD with a LHD binnacle and wheel added. DeNiro was sitting beside the stunt driver twirling an impotent wheel - the concern/fear on his face wasn't acting. :)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mik said:

apparently

Not 'apparently' at all. You've got it bang on. Hence the authenticity. 

Another totally authentic car chase is from the French Connection. Shot by the same team as Bullit, they wanted to go one better - so they didn't bother to clear the roads. All of the other cars are just 'members of the public'. Including the mother and pram (IIRC) who nearly got run over. 

This one's more of a "classic car" chase than a classic car chase, if you know what I mean:

Never say never again. The non-franchise Bond film. Very "of its time".

One bit of geekery: apparently GM didn't want to get involved with the film, so the Baddies' Camaro had it badges taped over with black insulation tape as you can see.

Followed some of the other car chases from the Never Say Never clip, and came up with this, just for @Steve V8 & @Mark Blanchard

Spot some surprising cars: couple of Ford Capris, Austin(?) 1100/1300

• Like 2

I love these old clips. I really love seeing the roads when all the cars looked much more different from each other. 

buddsy

• Like 2

One for @Mark Blanchard...the one where the car goes up on 2 wheels to get through a narrow road only to appear coming out of the narrow road somehow on the other 2 wheels! Bond is amazing!

buddsy

• Like 1

To be fair they do show an interior shot of him switching from right wheels to left. Still doesn't make much sense though!

I remember seeing a local classified ad in Exchange & Mart for a real Mustang Mach 1 back in the late 1980s. I think the asking price was about 1500 quid. I was sorely tempted, but it wouldn't have made a sensible first car, so bought an Imp for 750 instead.