free hit
counters
Whose S1 for sale is this? - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Paul Coleman

Whose S1 for sale is this?

9 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Very nice example and very nice trim. Not an accurate Bond car, though I like the number plate. Here's why,

front badge and Esprit decal were just a Lotus decal

no centre ashtray

vents on binnacle and dash are incorrect

is there a clock? 

Barbara Bach is missing?

A very nice Esprit that anyone would be proud to own! Cheap for 75k?????

You also forgot...

the black trim around the windscreen

black door handles

no button on the gearstick

But nobody would be sad enough to do all that... would they? Hahaha

I know he looks at some periscope thing but there was never a shot of a clock from what I remember.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks, who's the spotter! ??????

Yep your right, you only see them look at the screen which shows Caroline Munroe overhead in the Helicopter. How ever Nick Fulcher was asked to trim a clock in as the idea was it would rotate to produce the periscope screen. It was fitted to the Bond car but not shown in the movie. There's a news article which explains it all on my S1 blog.

??????????????????

I look forward to seeing how much you sell for after the resto show!????

I spoke to the owner of the Heritage Motor Company in Malton last August. He told me he had completed the final stages of this rebuild after it had come back from re-trimming in Norfolk, having had the last of the original foam seats installed. HMC said the owner had it up for sale a few times, including during it's restoration, but had decided to drive it over the summer as it was an enjoyable car.

Originally registered in November 1977, it's since had a Bond-related number plate added as mentioned earlier. Typically it also has had the yellow & green Lotus badge added, though I prefer the age related black and silver version. Or better still, the LOTUS decal, which I think is more in keeping with the wedge design.

It'll be interesting to see how quickly it sells, given it's high price. As with anything market related, it reflects it's rarity and desirability. S2's appear to be going up in value also. With UK Sportscars recently selling their red example which was offered at £28,000, and now with a newly restored metallic blue S2 advertised for £40,000. 

Looks like it. Removing and refitting those catches and the bonnet release crossbar is fiddly, but not impossible considering the body was off and the interior/dash must have been out for the re-trim.

And especially as they are asking £75,000.00 - sorry that would just drive me mad to find this after forking out such an amount - and what else has not been done properly!

Well spotted Marc. As Jon says a full strip down would have given plenty of access to remove the bonnet catches, which aren't exactly too difficult to remove, even without the whole of the dash out. A minor detail, but one you'd expect better for this price. At least remove the over spray.

If I were nit picking I'd expect the inside of that spare wheel to be painted black also. A minor but correct detail, and something I'm currently considering at the moment. It also enhances the Wolfrace "mag slot" design.

• Like 1

The insides of my Wolfrace wheels have never been painted and are original.

My bonnet catches are not painted if anybody wants to throw £75k my way? hahaha

Love it. OAP indeed. Including how I feel right now slaving away night and day restoring my S1.

I know a little bit about this car, if you read my comments above. It's expensive, but (fully) restored. And if that's what you want you'll be paying upwards of £55,000 for one in RHD. Though you can pick up a LHD car in "good" order in the US for about US$30,000+ and shipping (~£2,500) and  import taxes etc. US Esprit S1s come up on my RADAR about once a month, in various conditions. Whereas to my knowledge there were only 4 RHD S1s for sale in the past 12 months in the UK. 2 in the £50-60,000 asking price. Both decent, but not 100% IMO.

This car has had an interesting restoration saga. Bit muddled, but it seems to have been done with little expense spared. With a full Nick Fulcher 'Bond' interior. It has a similar PPW306R  number plate, but it is a November 1978 car, and therefore an 'S' registration.

Also read the other comments from folk above regarding finish detail etc. A pal was going to have a look at the car as he lives locally.

S1s are certainly old school, but a good investment, and rather unique. Hopefully fun too! I have a video review available if you want to PM me and I'll send you a link (as it's copyrighted unfortunately). 

Good luck.

• Like 2

Thanks.  Thread read and price and 'Bond' theme thing, particularly, noted.  

Thing is, the whole Bond thing doesn't really interest me - except that I don't want to pay for something that is marketed as a faithful Bond replica but actually isn't, as an expert would know and I'd lose a boat load of cash (because only well informed types are going to splash this kind of cash on a car famous even in neighbouring galaxies for being epically - if unfairly - unreliable).  So I note the OCD comments about ashtrays and doorhandles (I suffer from it myself, so it's not just an OAP thing) and that it is neither original factory colour or interior.

Now, as long as the car in question is priced with these things in mind, then I will pay for [actual realworld] reliability.

The S1 is simply stunning and in RHD it is the only version that I would go for.  And - probably because of Bond - white seems to be the colour I would most like.  Although the interior is pretty shocking to my youthful eyes, I'll roll with the scary hippy draylon/velour thing as it's in keeping with the age of the car.  Flares and Bond aside.

So, I like the idea of owning an S1 as long as the restoration focus is pretty much entirely on reliability.  And, judging from the picture of the metal bits (I don't own a socket set), it may be that this car is.  Not that others aren't of course, but as you say, they are rarer than well restored S1 Esprits.

So, I guess the question then becomes is this non-faithful Bond replica worth £75k based upon the restoration work alone?  Or, even with the rarity of good quality S1s, is it taking the micky?

And that is where I am stuck - it's not as if I can shop around.

Funny old world,

Sudders

Sudders and Dany

You'd have to check the rebuild history to ascertain if a good job was done. I can ask the (final) restorer in the sequence if that helps. He lives locally to me in North Yorkshire, over t'moors.

Info is scant on that, so a physical inspection by someone who knows S1s would be almost a must. Ideally someone from 'Q' Branch.

The car isn't a faithful Bond replica, but I suppose that wasn't the point of the restoration. All that you need to know is that the finish is correct, and that it uses parts for an S1. As many were updated with S2 parts ie instrumentation, later steering wheels etc. At this price it would have to be stock.

I have a 1970's brown Crimpoline suit and a pair of slip ons if that helps?

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 2

Thanks Buddsy, that's kinda my view too.  Not that the position of the ashtray isn't important of course.  The price is ultimately determined by what the market will bear.  And, if it will bear £75k then that's it's worth.  But only as long as there aren't any out there that are as good or better and are priced differently.

Yes please Fridge.  I'd be very grateful to get some feel for the rebuild, from an alternative source to the owner.  I believe that you do have clothing from the 1970's.  Doesn't everyone on this thread?  I'm not going to have to buy a pipe and get leather patches put on my faded tweed sports jacket am I?

'Q' Branch simply informed me that the warranty had run out and that they all do that and to try leaving it for a while and then turning it over again.

If I had my way I would take the Toyota block from an Elise and drop it into an S1 and then take some 'technical' fabric and bucket seats to the interior.  But, apparently, the ashtrays would be all out of sync.

Fondue time, I think,

Sudders

• Like 2

Sudders and Dany

Whilst my chassis was in for painting a Porsche 911RS replica owner from the industrial wastelands of Teesside said if he owned it he'd fabricate a tubular bells chassis instead, or some other Pink Floyd nonsense. Thereby negating the reason to buy an S1. With the resultant loss of value.

If I was serious, and knew more about this car I'd offer £55,000 and work up. Esprits at this level take months to sell. Typically 6+.

M&S do a great line in slipper. We all have them. Lotus packed an emergency spare pair in the glove box. Monogrammed with Karl Stromberg industries for deep cover work.

Originality is everything.

• Like 1

A few other things you could buy in the same price range.

Porsche

Bus

Turbo

Alfa

Im not saying I wouldnt haggle and use all of the above comments to secure the best deal I could but looking at what else you could buy instead...the S1 is an Icon

buddsy

• Like 2

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Teeside? Never heard of it.  Tubular bells chassis? Is that a Christmas thing?

I'm back in the UK in a few weeks, so my intent is to go and check the position of the ashtrays and kick the tyres (literally).  I was thinking about the same sort of price range.  But I am most definitely not an expert  I'm interested in pretending to be Bond, not Q.

I have already assumed that everyone here buys their clothes in M&S. My main aim in life is to never buy my clothes from M&S. And, if there isn't a pair of slip-ons in the glove box, then I walk away, right?

Orginal ashtrays is everything,

Sudders

Sudders and Dany

Thanks for that Buddsy.  You just reminded just how much I dislike Porsches. You make a good point though. As ever Lotus' are, for reasons that only future historians will be able to determine, undervalued.

Doesn't change the issue of specific market value though.  

Sudders and Dany

Does anyone know how much the Stocks one went for? I think that was up for 60k and had been completely restored. Might be a decent marker. 

Dan, at home in slippers. 

Day off today and Monday actually as got to take the car to Gerald. Don't worry back in the mix of blowing shit up on Tuesday :P

Haha - I'm on massive chandeliers Monday !! Only fools and horses style

• Like 1

Only here once

1 hour ago, Suddabym said:

Doesn't change the issue of specific market value though.  

No 'normal' S1 has ever sold for that amount of money to my knowledge. The highest price paid for any S1 that I've ever heard of was £55k, so if you pay the asking price you will set a new record!

If you're after originality then this car was originally yellow (I believe) and would not have had a tartan interior or a centre ashtray. Having said that, if you want an original white/tartan car then it will be very difficult to find one as there are probably only a handful left.

Edited by Paul Coleman
  • Like 2