free hit
counters
Whose S1 for sale is this? - Page 4 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Paul Coleman

Whose S1 for sale is this?

Very cool James Bond Evora,  but that waist line sticker is terrible :blush: the rest looks good though :)

A

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, Dan E said:

Mark it also comes down to if you can raise one eyebrow. This I believe is actually a legal requirement to owning a S1! 

Now back to the car, I have owned my S3 for under a year and I have to say I don't think I will ever sell it I took it out today, put some petrol in it had a chat with a fella in a DB7. Went to get some beers had a chat with two chaps. Then went to local shop for the missus had 3 kids on bikes follow me so when I came out of the shop they were all over it with their phones let them all have a sit in it. This is in one round trip of under 3 miles. So you actually don't get anywhere quickly in them.

I can raise just one eyebrow :)

I had Practical Classics with me yesterday for 5 hours doing a photo shoot on my car for their Spring edition (it will also be on their stand at the NEC for the Restoration Show in March) and I took the guy from PC with me in the car down to the local marina and he was asking me what sort of reaction it gets. So I told him to just look at the reaction of people on the street as we drove by. The first people we saw were a couple of workmen who both stopped and scanned it as it went by hahaha

• Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

The green & orange tartan interior is an acquired taste like. And I'm not a great fan to be honest. However to does make for quite a pleasant experience. Light and airy, as well as being very 1970s. It's not for me though. Besides everyone seems to choose it, & it's good to be different.

What really kills the S1 are the fitting of aftermarket sunroofs. Which are not in keeping with the design and generally frowned upon by the cognescenti. Thankfully my car was unmolested.

IMG_20160828_131945004.jpg

Whoa!! Fook! Apologies for my boat race in that photo. Something usually found behind the camera. Nice interior though.

• Like 1

Fabian, that basically is me already. I already have the missile launchers, now I need the car!

This raising one eyebrow thing - it's a thing on here amongst the OAPs isn't it? Thought so. 

So, the interior is actually red and green tartan, green with orange carpets. Seriously? I mean, is this genuine, or are you all pulling my plonker?

Paul, I saw the other thread regarding practical classics and the NEC.  Good job, BTW. I think we'dcallcagree that the Esprit is a proper universal head turner. It's only non Lotus owners who can't see that. Them and journos. 

So no cutting a hole in the roof, then David? Goddit.

Sudders and Dany

Yes the colour scheme is original and it's beautiful - but it's a bit of a Marmite thing really.

• Like 1

Then I shall take your word for it, until I get back and see for myself or the cataracts arrive early.  I like marmite, so maybe...

Sudders and Dany

Mark, 

the colour scheme really grows on you. It's not hardwaring though and if you don't protect the seats the green material will snag and get runs. I think the whole package is stunning and an amazing achievement  for  a small British company.

Suddabym, why don't you ask Danny?  He had a white Esprit and I know you guys spent a long time together in the bunker.

Though the word is he's busy on other extremely successful projects, so if you can't get hold of him, maybe you should just buy that £75k S1?

All Bond style S1s come with these. It's obligatory. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-1970s-JOHN-LEWIS-BLUE-COTTON-POLY-2-PIECE-SAFARI-SUIT-SMALL-38-REGULAR-/401276856035?hash=item5d6df6e6e3:g:udQAAOSwRgJXjleR

A pair of Karl Lagerfeld sunglasses are advisable, but optional.

s-l1600.jpg

090814-karl-lagerfeld-594.jpg

For me the tartan is beyond cool. Golf GTI mk1 anyone. Esprits are just beautiful I can't think of another car that is exactly what I would have drawn as a kid of a super car. I have no idea on a S1 but mine is really great to drive ok the brakes are a bit telepathy and it really hates the cold but that's part of the fun. 

You do have the fun of the people who go mad for it then the ones who pretend they can't see it which is even funnier. Such a British thing I remember going to Spain in my Elise when they first come out we got mobbed everywhere 

• Like 1

Dany isn't taking my calls anymore. I think I may have freaked him out a little when I moved out here to the UAE just to be near him.  If not Lotus would take him back.  We'd have a new Esprit (problably) and lots and lots of other models. And magic power trains and all sorts. Ah well... a man can dream.

Okay, I'm over it.  On second thoughts the interior (which, just to remind everyone is ORANGE, RED and GREEN) is actually a genius choice of colours textures and patterns.  I love it. Why aren't all cars (or indeed any other car) made this way? If I don't buy this car, I will be changing the interior of whatever I do get to this.  The 'Bond' interior is excellent in every way. And now, I understand, in overall wear and tear too! Brillopads. Leather is just so practical and hard wearing. 

So, I also have to consider that the car will not go on a cold day and not stop at all. Hmm.

David, you know what.  I'm totally fine for nylon safari shirts. 

• Like 2

Sudders and Dany

I've upgraded the brakes as owners say the originals fade. A relatively easy mod. Probably the best you can make. Given they stop you hitting stuff at the pointy end.

Leave the rocket launchers to the wizz kidz.

• Like 1

I thought maybe 70mm rocket pods, but they weigh a ton and I'm not sure the fibreglass would survive the backblast.  Especially in white.  Obviously, putting 4 in the engine bay and hoping whatever I'm shooting at is directly above (as rockets aren't guided) is a genius idea, but then I'd need to find somewhere to put the engine. 

A brake upgrade is a must, I would think.

But Mark, you're quite right, this isn't a modern car, it's straight from '76 and comes with flares and fondue and British Leyland and the EEC. And that is probably the biggest thing I need to square in my mind.  I'm not a hands on dude, I'm more of a blue sky kinda guy.  I mainly want to pose about in the best looking car on the planet. What I want is an S1 'Eagle' (or a barn find and a bloke who could do that). And for that I'd pay real money.  But I don't think I want to get into owning an oily rag and an inspection pit.  Hmm.

Dany is a genius. And like all prophets he was sacrificed on the alter of mediocrity by the the accountant hoardes who can't see past such pettiness as profit and sales.  

• Like 2

Sudders and Dany

In order to be reliable IMHO you have to stick to the Lotus maintenance schedule, especially greasing things! There needs to be some mods on the car to make it more reliable. Mine has Triple kenlowe fans, uprated alternator, window switch relays, 60amp battery, a new wiring loom, some new circuits and a greater current capacity than the original. A fire extinguishing system is essential or there is a big chance of a heartbreaking event. The brakes do fade under heavy use but the brakes are still much better than other cars of the time. I have not experienced any overheat problems the Kenlowes can cool the engine easily and the new alternator and 60 amp battery can power them without problem. Most garages have trouble tuning the engine or setting up the suspension. It's old school. I had to do it all myself. It's well within the capabilities of most people but takes time and dedication to get right. Like all things once you get some experience and get used to the car it's easy and quick to set up up and tune. It's a very simple car to work on and. cheap to maintain once everything has been rebuilt or renewed. 

Buying a restoration needing parts and painting will be a money pit, especially if you get someone to restore it for you. There are only a handful of individuals and companies I would trust to rebuild the car. It will be seriously expensive. An outfit restoring the car that has not done it before will not have a chance of getting it to required standard, as they will be time limited. I spent months doing some bits over and over till they were acceptable to me. I even took apart some bits that were already complete as I was not happy with them.

I saw two cars S and J had restored and have to say they were really top notch externally and mechanically perfect. I could only fault the trim.,  Steve Fulchers is the best. Both of the cars had already sold before completion for a lot of money and were never advertised! If I had the money and didn't want to do anything I would probably use S and J or PMN ,Lotusbits or Stock Coachworks , but get Steve Fulcher to trim the car. Then it would be perfect, but who knows how much that would cost? It might be £75k, I really can't say. Restoring it yourself is a serious amount of work- have a look on my S1 blog. 

Copy trims look pretty stunning to most people, but if you know about the trim it will not be to the same design and standard as the original. I had a lot of involvement in the trim and there's much more to it than you could imagine. Steve is the only trimmer with the original patterns made buy his father who trimmed the original. Without the patterns you will never be able to achieve the Fulcher magic. A big problem will be the Tartan pattern it will not be the same. 99 percent of people will not be able to tell. Steve Fulcher will point it out in a second. If the pattern isn't the same the bumps in the seats will be in the wrong place. I saw the above car in Steves workshop and have to say the interior was stunning when it was finished and it uses the original Tartan material with nylon in the weave. Steve still had some of the original material which was used on Paul's, mine and the above car. 

All prices are negotiable, if you could get it for a price acceptable to you it would be a very, very nice car to own. One things for sure they aren't making any more and all the original Tartan has been used, so in a way it's one of a very few that will be correct and stunning! I'm not parting with my car till I can't get in it anymore, but maybe Paul can help you???

• Like 1

PS if you do buy it please canI have your number plate?????????

• Like 1

No.

Thanks for that.  Those improvements that you've listed are a real help to me in the decision making process.  I am now officially of the opinion that the eye-bending Bond interior trim is in fact the best ever put in any car ever.  So, I'm totally fine with that now.  I have some blast-proof shades somewhere; I'll dig them out.  Should do the trick.

You also make a good point about getting a dude to do this.  You'd have to go to the go-to guys.  I do however, think I'm going to get into an S1 and as it is now extremely unlikely that a bog standard S1 will ever appear for sale, I'm left with buying one after rebuild/restoration, or during. So, getting it done myself is almost mute.

Your point about triple fan thingys is interesting as it looks as if this car has done that too.  And, if that's the case, it could be that this rebuild has made those other improvements that you mention.  I am now armed, to ask, so thanks.  And, if not, then they would need to be added in and costed etc.  I also buy the idea that once got right and then properly looked after and maintained, that these cars can be reliable.  I don't buy the argument that just because they were born into a world of sideburns, brown and strikes that they must therefore be unreliable and that this hard fact must be accepted by all.  This isn't British Leyland.

Oh, and I didn't come all the way over here to the OAP end of the forums to shake down a pensioner.  That said, I do want to drive about in an S1, just like you old dudes.  And my skills with a torque wrench require that it is mint (as in extra double strength strong mint).  So, if anyone with access to one in pukka nik is looking at options, I'm all ears.  But, I'm not going to approach current owners as I think that's a bit...American.

S1's rule. And other early Esprit are nice too.  As are the later ones as well, even. 

• Like 1

Sudders and Dany

I've counted about 30 RHD S1s currently in use in the UK. Mostly in very good order. Someone should be maintaining an up-to-date register surely?

Lotusproject.com is a bit hit and miss I find.

PS. I wear M&S slippers to work.

If you're not going to maintain it yourself then budget for at least £500/year every year for maintenance. The belt needs to be changed every 2 years ideally and a 'C' service with SJ is about £900. Obviously it needs a normal service every other year so either an 'A' or 'B' which run to £250 and £400 respectively.

If I were buying it I'd want to know that the circlip on the input shaft of the gearbox had been done (it's a common fault as they rot out).

The front lower suspension arms have been upgraded to take the later style bushes (the originals weren't up to the job).

The belt has been done recently with receipts to prove it and ideally that the engine had been rebuilt (it doesn't say what was actually done).

The clutch hose has been replaced which is good as it was another weak spot.

I'm not struck on the red coolant pipes and springs personally (each to their own) but other than being the wrong colour and having the wrong interior it looks spot on!

'Playing classic cars' ensures you'll never have enough money to develop a drug habit hahaha

Edited by Paul Coleman

18 hours ago, Fridge said:

The green & orange tartan interior is an acquired taste like. And I'm not a great fan to be honest. However to does make for quite a pleasant experience. Light and airy, as well as being very 1970s. It's not for me though. Besides everyone seems to choose it, & it's good to be different.

What really kills the S1 are the fitting of aftermarket sunroofs. Which are not in keeping with the design and generally frowned upon by the cognescenti. Thankfully my car was unmolested.

IMG_20160828_131945004.jpg

Whoa!! Fook! Apologies for my boat race in that photo. Something usually found behind the camera. Nice interior though.

Is that my car at Brands btw?! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Suddabym said:

Fabian's car look epic. I mean really epic

I awarded him 'Best Car' in the lineup at the Brands Lotus Festival last year along with Guy Munday, my fellow judge. It really is a benchmark in S1 restoration.

Sudders, when did you get so old? 

:lol:

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Yes Jonathan, it is.

I think these wacky Jimmy Krankie interiors need to be experienced in person, not just viewed in photographs, as they look better in reality. Being light and airy, as well as adding a certain 1970's charm that be fits the car.