free hit
counters
Whose S1 for sale is this? - Page 6 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Paul Coleman

Whose S1 for sale is this?

Just to add in case you're looking and can't find them - it's PNM not PMN and they're on the Wirral.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Both SJ and Lotusbits sell parts, upgrades and service I think.

Thanks Stephen.  Google noticed too and corrected it for me.  You gotta love the Internet. 

• Like 1

Sudders and Dany

Mark at Stocks Coachworks did my restoration and is amazing. And there's GST Performance in Newmarket for servicing/maintenance - Gerald owns it and he's an Esprit-whisperer as far as I'm concerned. You need to book well in advance normally but he sneaked my S1 in pretty quickly because he wanted to work on it :) Definitely worth considering if they're not too far for you. 

• Like 1

Cheers guys.  Didn't know Paul Matty did servicing.

Good to know that there are (relatively speaking) so many quality outfits for classic Lotus'.

This S1 owning thing seems like a better and better idea to me.

Awesome.

Sudders and Dany

Plus one for GST I am going there in the morning. Only problem is I am not sure he is taking on anymore cars but well worth the call. 

Thanks Danny. Just research at the moment. Checking that the infrastructure is in place. 

Sudders and Dany

I found the blogs! I had to go back out into the Internet and get Google to break me in to the blog vault, but what a gold mine. Impressed.

Awesome. 

• Like 1

Sudders and Dany

Mark, 

hate to say it, but I think your following a well trodden path and about to get an obsession which is like catching an illness that never leaves you. Suddenly disappearing into a very deep money pit with only a very low wedge shapped thing, that eats £50s, to show for it! Happy days!??????

• Like 2

Suddabym,  How about buying a project S1 and have somebody build it to your specs ?  Keep the engine bog standard, custom fit aircon ? I presume the american market had aircon on th es1 or someone must of retro fitted it,  Have the interior the way you want it, lets face it as long as you do not change the body or chassis you are never going to loose money,  The days of picking up a project s1 on the cheap have long gone but can see why can not be found for a reasonable sum ?  That will keep your intial costs down and then set aside a decent amount to spec the car out.   Win/win situation for you really..  

If you got a project car and payed for the chassis to be done, engine, new bushes etc, then had the bodywork done and sprayed, you are in a strong postion that if you go off the idea you would be free to sell and still get a good price for the car, well at any point you will still be in a good postion to sell really :thumbup:

• Like 1

A

Well, Dan, you make a good point.  Getting a car in the first place is of course no simple thing.  But I take your point in that I could get the car that I want etc.  And, that may still be an option.  But here's the thing.  If I went that route, I wouldn't want a restoration of a 197x S1.  I'd want a 201x S1.  Modern engine with double the power and an auto with ESP, disk brakes with ABS, aircon, CarPlay, carbon seats and restyled/updated interior with modern displays.  Inside it would be totally modern.  Outside it would be completely original.  But I couldn't do that myself so I'd need someone who shared the vision who could.  The Esprit restoration world is small and for good reason people baulk at this sort of idea.  They think the cars should be preserved as they were originally intended and I can absolutely see that argument.  Preserving these cars for prosperity is the first priority.  But I want to be able to drive an S1 everyday and know that it has the same reliability as an Elise and doesn't have to be driven by an expert.  And it is entirely likely that this isn't even possible, or possible within a reasonable budget (say, the cost of this car).

So, I think okay, this car is probably about as good as an S1 is going to get (better S1 restorations notwithstanding) so maybe I should get this and put more money in making the 910 engine as reliable as possible and upgrade the power and the brakes. And then hope that it doesn't go pop. And go on a driving course. And get used to the interior (which is certainly unique - although in S1's now it probably isn't). And accept that it's unrealistic to do an 'Eagle' on an S1 without spending 'Eagle' type money.

Perhaps I should go this 'Eagle' route.  At least then I'd have a gold S1 wth a black and tan interior (awesome).  My beige trousers are telling me to get over it and buy a 400, which is just going back to where I've come from. But I keep being drawn back to the S1, and yet I live in Evoraland. So, it's about squaring that circle.  Is this car the solution?  Not sure, but if I see it and the guy and I get on and the car is faultless etc, and I can't say no then maybe I try it on for size.  I can always do the 'Eagle' thing as well (if again, the right car comes along) and move this one on to someone for whom an S1 like this must come from and still live in the '70's.  someone for whom the heritage is everything and will treat it more like a museum piece than something that gets him to a mate's in central London on a Friday afternoon, in August.

Don't shoot me oily rag dudes. Just spreading my brain juice about for general inspection. 

Sudders and Dany

Before you decide how about doing this! I really like it for the younger Esprit owner! From a movie that has just come out!IMG_1388.thumb.PNG.62e391335450d408a947903442c8eed1.PNG

• Like 1

I've been tracking that for a while.  Was initially tracking Scarlet of course until I caught a glimpse of what could only be an Esprit.

It.  Is.  Sick!

Am quite liking that wrap too.

Great thing about the Japanese is that they do like a Lotus.

• Like 1

Sudders and Dany

Okay, that's weirded me out.  Sticking with cars. 

Sudders and Dany

19 hours ago, Fridge said:

Crazy work on that robot model , and you can guarantee he has done something sexual with that for a fact without question  ! 

Right back to cars....  Suddabym,  What about having a word with Matt on these forums under the username matwatts,  He did a complete restoration of an s1, and fitted hillys rebuilt 2.2 with standalone efi in that car, Everything else was put back to a standard S1 bar the engine, he does top work and has a build thread on here so you can see everything has been done to the car,  Not that he is selling but you never know until you ask, may be worth a shot :thumbup: 

• Like 1

A

He absolutely uses that thing as a sexbot.  I'd put money on it.

Cheers Dan, I will check this dude out.  I have now revised down my fantasy S1 to a new (ideally Elise SC) engine and box (assuming that is even possible), aircon, front disk brakes and rear camera (thinking screen in the sun visor).  Subtle, see?  You wouldn't know to look.  Clever, clever.

Even the neon blue underlighting with strobe effect and the amp in the boot have gone!  See what you people are doing to me. (Am thinking of keeping the DVD players and the games consoles though).

And maybe adding a jacuzzi.  A small one.

Sudders and Dany

Hate to rain on your parade, but the elise engine and box are tranverse, i.e go in sideways and the esprit chassis will only take inline engine and boxes without massive alterations which are not worth doing  :(  

• Like 1

A

Good point. But the jacuzzi will go in fine, right?

• Like 1

Sudders and Dany

Just do what they do with those skin kit cars to get round the dvla kit car check,  Buy an elise, a box full of tiger seal adhesive and a bond an S1 esprit body shell over the top of the elise,  job done in a few hours, sorted  :P

A

Awesome.  Now I need some keys to put on it!

Sudders and Dany