free hit
counters
choke switch - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
ANDYR

choke switch

Hello.  quick one.  Is the switch normally open or closed?

I've had the interior re-timmed by the amazing davethetrimmer (see photo).  A causality was the choke switch.  BUT I never use (and have disconnected) the choke as it starts in all winds and weathers very well.  Is the switch just a warning light or does it also affect the time of the spark at the distributor?  If so I ought to put a new switch back OR leave the wires open or solder together hence the question.IMG_1875.thumb.JPG.36ba8c85796a36f1fffee2f7de7d585f.JPG

what say you?

Edited by ANDYR
spelling
  • Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

HI Andy, 

The choke warning light has nothing to do with the actual choke working, the warning light on your instrument panel is now only lit up as the mechanical switch sadly got broken,  So the switch thinks the lever has been pulled up. It works the same way as the handbrake warning light works :)

This will in no way affect your choke as it is cable operated and not electrical,  :thumbup:   You can just tape the pin switch down, or put a new lever in so its stock again. should be fairly cheap for a used one.

Interior looks nice by the way :thumbup:

Cheers.

I had a feeling that somehow activating the choke ALSO affected what went on the firing/timing of the distributor - like an earlier spark for a cold engine, but glad you've cleared it up.  I'll screw everything back down.  Thanks for the comment on the interior too.  Worth the spend.  www.davethetrimmer.com   legend.    Here's a close up - what stitching!

IMG_1873.thumb.JPG.d95104ca1fc513f7ef221d237d865386.JPG

• Like 2

Hi Andy,  You missed my point from my first post, the choke has NOTHING to do with firing/timing of the dizzy !     You pull the choke and it moves a cable attached tot he carburettor that lets more fuel into the carb, changing the air fuel ratio to have a higher fuel ratio in cold weather to start the car,  well that was the method, on an esprit as you know you do not use the choke as it just floods the esprit.  :)

Very nice stitch work by the way, :thumbup:

Cheers, Dan.

Yes I did understand.  My typing didn't relate at all to what I was thinking. my bad. Yes, flooding - always used to do that.  Especially on roundabouts in thick traffic...  fitted a fuel regulator after the pump and before the carbs and touch wood, been well behaved ever since.  thanks also for the tailgate comment.  Have edited.  

Thanks.