free hit
counters
Brakes on S4 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Brakes on S4

Hi Members, I have just brought a turbo S4 and the brakes are very hard to push down so much so I'm worried about driving it. Even when I do manage to push it down its still very hard all the way down to the floor, also the clutch is hard to push down Any suggestions please?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Has it sat for a long time ? When I bought my SE it hadn't been used much and the pedals were doing all sorts of funny stuff when I first got it. After a bit of use they settled down.  

Any pics of the car to share? :)

• Gold FFM

Oooh - now I do like the two spoilers - can you post up some more pics.....

the brakes are a bit shit on the S4 - is the antilock warning light on? Have the brakes been bled through correctly ??

And AWI monos.....hmm

Only here once

Fantastic looking car, love the AWIs.

5 months is a fair old time to be sat so I'd be expecting a few tweaks here and there. Plenty of people on the forum (more knowledgeable than me) should have good advice. E.g Barry!

The GM PowermasterIII ABS system on the early-90s Esprits are different from 'modern' cars.   No vacuum assist, just a pump & accumulator. And, the master cylinder doesn't connect to the rear brakes at all, only the brake pump does.

So, the 'feel' can be disconcerting.

As stated, if the car has sat for a long time or hasn't received periodic fluid changes, you need to be concerned about seized calipers. I'd give the brakes a bleed, and if it still has the OEM rubber brake lines, replace those with stainless ones (readily available). If it still isn't acceptable to you, have a look at the calipers (Brembo fronts, I assume).

+++++++++++

Regards the clutch, give that system a bleed too. Your year was fitted with a .70" clutch master, some have gone back to the previous 5/8" size.  SEARCH for the consequences of doing that.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

My clutch pedal is also heavier than normal. I can't see any reason why it is, but can't find any paperwork either to suggest any change has been made. I can only assume that it has a different clutch to standard in it.

As for my brakes, my pedal feels fine. Not hard to push at all.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

• Gold FFM

If it's the one I think it is, I seem to remember the brakes were OK (for an S4) when I worked on it, but that ABS system is a truly horrible feel.  And Esprit clutch pedals can be rather stiff.

If this is your first Esprit, you may be experiencing 'normal'.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Don't want to give incorrect info, so could you let me know the registration?  If it's the one I think it is, it may have spent some time in Ireland.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Check the clutch pedal hinge pin for wear and lubrication.  Take a photo of the clutch master and slave cylinders, and post them here, maybe somebody replaced them with ones of the wrong diameter piston?

The brakes being stiff may mean that the pressure boost from the ABS master may not be working, or the accumulator is not holding.  Do you have the ABS light showing on the dash?

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

@Barrykearley

you'll have to use Erik's Espritmon free software to connect to the ABS computer to read the codes and perform diagnostic tests.  The Esprit service manual has a section JF for the ABS system in the S4, includes troubleshooting.

• Like 1

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

• Gold FFM

Sweet - I've got that and wondered why the abs section didn't seem to do anything.

is there such a thing as an instruction book for espritmon? And where is the plug in bit for the abs unit ?

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Barry, this is the only manual for Espritmon I know of. Not the easiest to read, but I think it does have all the info.

Manual.pdf

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.