free hit
counters
IPS vs Automatic - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have discussed about this topic many times. But this is an important topic for whose like me who want (need) to drive an automatic car. The IPS in the Exige is much more efficient than the one

I don't think the mechanicals changed very much...I think 90% of it was down to software making everything quicker I might be wrong...but that was what I thought had happened

As told on the 380 thread, not only software is different, but actuator bracket is also different between Exige S and 350/380, whereas gearbox seems to remain unchanged otherwise ...

I don't think the mechanicals changed very much...I think 90% of it was down to software making everything quicker

I might be wrong...but that was what I thought had happened

• Like 1

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

We have discussed about this topic many times. But this is an important topic for whose like me who want (need) to drive an automatic car.

The IPS in the Exige is much more efficient than the one in the Evora S. I was really really disappointed by the IPS in the Evora S or even the Evora SR that I have driven.

I have driven an Exige V6 IPS and I have a 350 IPS. I didn't feel a real difference between the two gearbox.

For me the weakest point of the  350 IPS gearbox is : you can't shift down to 1st if you are above 30km/h. That can be sometimes frustrating in mountain roads.

I don't know if there is any improvement for the 380 gearbox.

• Like 2
On 09/02/2017 at 20:17, geartox said:

We have discussed about this topic many times. But this is an important topic for whose like me who want (need) to drive an automatic car.

The IPS in the Exige is much more efficient than the one in the Evora S. I was really really disappointed by the IPS in the Evora S or even the Evora SR that I have driven.

I have driven an Exige V6 IPS and I have a 350 IPS. I didn't feel a real difference between the two gearbox.

For me the weakest point of the  350 IPS gearbox is : you can't shift down to 1st if you are above 30km/h. That can be sometimes frustrating in mountain roads.

I don't know if there is any improvement for the 380 gearbox.

Must admit from test drive of an Exige IPS it was better than Evora IPS, but still way short of Evora 400.   Still don't understand why they haven't got the Evora 400 Auto setup / software in the Exige. 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

On 09/02/2017 at 23:22, French Frie said:

As told on the 380 thread, not only software is different, but actuator bracket is also different between Exige S and 350/380, whereas gearbox seems to remain unchanged otherwise ...

Could we compare the 380 IPS gearbox with the one of the Evora 400 ?

• 3 months later...

I drove my friends Evora 400 today right after driving my Exige S and damn what a difference.

Why is the auto gearbox in the Evora 400 sooooo much better than mine? It swaps gears instantly in the Evora while in my Exige there is like a second delay from when I hit the paddle shift till it changes gear. On the track I had to adjust and hit the paddle shift a second before I wanted to change gears because of this. I thought both cars would have had the same gearbox, so odd.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, usurp said:

I drove my friends Evora 400 today right after driving my Exige S and damn what a difference.

Why is the auto gearbox in the Evora 400 sooooo much better than mine? It swaps gears instantly in the Evora while in my Exige there is like a second delay from when I hit the paddle shift till it changes gear. On the track I had to adjust and hit the paddle shift a second before I wanted to change gears because of this. I thought both cars would have had the same gearbox, so odd.

Asked that question of lotus dealer after driving an IPS Exige and stating it was so much slower to change gear from paddle pull vs my 400. Nobody seems to have an answer.  More bizarre is the IPS could make the Exige faster on track if setup the same. 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

I think that there is no Exige sport 380 IPS yet. Once released we will be able to compare to the Evora 400. No IPS option for the cup 380.

The gearbox improvement will be one of my request for my next lotus.