free hit
counters
Evora 400 problems! - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora 400 problems!

Hakim0v

In Feb 2016, I bought the 1st Evora 400 in the Middle East, and was so happy to drive it... But...
1-its AC broke down at 4 months
2-its battery broke down at 9 months
3-its seats squeaks so loud like a 20y-old cab car at 1 month
4-its mirror whistles loud from the start
5-its transmission gets stuck at 3rd gear and jams at gear changes
6-its infotainment system often doesn't start with the car 
7-and recently, it started lacking power at lower revs and turning off by itself at low speed!!!

My car has been in the dealer's garage more time than in mine, and they still didnt manage to get those fixes right. Lotus are so slow to respond and don't seem to provide the dealer with answers. Careless...
So i am sure that any help and advices from you guys, would be more helpful and more competent...

Edited by Hakim0v

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I can't help you as I don't have a 400 but the seat creak seems a common gripe. Another thread mentions a noisy /squeeky air con.

Surprised you havn't had any other helps as of yet. Have you tried emailing Lotus yourself direct?

Hi all, 

I bought a new Evora 400 less than one year ago, and started having problems from the start

AC broke down at 4 months,

Battery broke down at 9 months,

seats squeaks a lot,

annoying whistle from drivers door or mirror,

infotainment system often doesn't start with the car,

but most importantly:

the transmission often goes into safety 3rd gear and is sometimes very late at gear changes 1-2-1 with a rocking effect

and recently it lacks power at low revs and turns off sometimes in the traffic or at low speed.

So guys, if any of you have advices or any idea abt the probable causes, plz help.

Software update didn't solve any.

do u think all these issues are related to a faulty Engine wiring harness?

thx

The aircon is a known issue on some of the early cars, there are a couple of possible issues, one here - search "headgehog" for the other one:

Creaky seats - need new seat runners full details on this thread:

Infotainment - I am having a minor issue with mine as well, no solution as of yet:

Whistling from door/mirror. Probably a fiddle with the door seal will improve this - fairly common on pilarless doors, just need to ensure that seal is made. Also check that the black plastic windscreen surround if firmly fixed and the rubber seal is properly adhered.

With regards to the gear change issue, there are a couple of people who have had TCU issues on their auto cars - both also early cars. I'm not sure where this issue is as regards solution. Hopefully I will see one of them next week so will ask if I do.

Battery is a new one on me - hopefully just a dud battery.

• Like 1

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

Georges,

This is the second time you have posted these problems and a few of us have asked you whether you have spoken directly to Lotus yourself? You don't seem to answer when people have offered you some sort of answer. You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well. Post a picture up of your car as well. :)

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Have you had MAF sensor replaced as part of warranty fixes .  Could well be part of problems experienced with engine.   Not only did I find the engine was smoother but also the auto gear changes imorived too after MAF fix. 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Thx DJW, I will check the MAF with my Dealer tomorrow.

Hi again,

i have emailed Lotus many times. Their answers are polite but completely useless. My car has been now parked for one month at our local dealer, who says that Lotus is not providing them with curative solutions! Lotus tells me: you have our absolute attention and we are updating your dealer! One month...

Good to see you back Georges. :) 

Hope you can get it all sorted out. Do you have the possibility of returning the car back to your dealer and getting another one as this one does not seem fit for purpose based on your list of issues?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Do you mean a sell-back and get a 2017 model or a 410?

how much do u recommend a sell-back and how much do u think i should lose in % of the initial price?

I am negociating this with my dealer who reported to Lotus London

I can't give you any idea on prices as I have little knowledge of Evora prices. Especially where you live.

I was suggesting that the car is no good and tell the dealer to refund you or give you your purchase price back toward another one.

I think the UK guys have something called the Lemon Law? Do you have anything like that there?

I don't think we have such a law, but I am trying a gentleman agreement. in UK or Australia do u know how much u get of ur money in a refund if they take back ur car? I am negociating a sellback and buying a 410 instead, hoping I wont get into same issues! I don't want to be pushed towards a GT3...

Sorry Georges. Have not had to do anything like this ever, so I would not be able to give you a realistic idea. It probably would not matter anyway as Beirut is probably far removed from Australia or the UK in how these matters are handled.

On 09/02/2017 at 10:46, Hakim0v said:

2-its battery broke down at 9 months

6-its infotainment system often doesn't start with the car 
7-and recently, it started lacking power at lower revs and turning off by itself at low speed!!!

Similar problems with my car, all caused by the factory Varta battery. Even brand new Varta batteries can be rubbish and cause all sorts of electrical problems. Zero problems after replacing with a different brand.

On 09/02/2017 at 10:46, Hakim0v said:

3-its seats squeaks so loud like a 20y-old cab car at 1 month

Loosen seat rail bolts (holding rails to the floor of the car) and re-tighten to the factory spec of exactly 30Nm (use a torque wrench.) Fixed the problem for me.

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara

8 hours ago, Hakim0v said:

I am negociating this with my dealer who reported to Lotus London

Oh, really? 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Yes Bibs, any advice?

On 2/14/2017 at 13:51, chylld said:

Similar problems with my car, all caused by the factory Varta battery. Even brand new Varta batteries can be rubbish and cause all sorts of electrical problems. Zero problems after replacing with a different brand.

Loosen seat rail bolts (holding rails to the floor of the car) and re-tighten to the factory spec of exactly 30Nm (use a torque wrench.) Fixed the problem for me.

Thx Chylld, 

U think even the lack of power at low revs and turning off, Has to do with the Varta batt?

I presume that the ECU would monitor system voltage. If that is iffy, it makes sense that it could cause all sorts of things to occur.

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure his Evora kidnapped him for years! :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

10 minutes ago, GabGab said:

Unfortunately, that is not totally reassuring.

People do tend to fall in love with what hurts them. There is even a name for it. Stockholm syndrome.

<_<

I think I have had Stockholm syndrome since 1973  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

I had a gearshift issue, first and second gears weren't tight against the gate which made changes from third to second a bit hit or miss, as was engaging first while stationary, I took it to the nice people at Silverstone who tensioned the cables under warranty , not only did this resolve the issues but all gear changes are now more positive.

6 hours ago, GabGab said:

Dear Hakim0v,

Do you think that those issues are linked to your very specific car; or that they are more common to all Evora's 400?

I am about to buy one in Qatar, a 2016-model also.

Your post is quite worrying me.....

Dear Gabgab

My car was a very early MY16 (1st batch). So i had many issues, but none was really serious although You would feel quite annoyed by them. For me, Lotus is my childhood dream car along with Ayrton Senna debuts. So I would buy them again and again, and fall in love with them again and again. Ur Evora 400 would make you feel different and special more than any German Porc or American Cow car. Lotus is an emotional car with great character. Not a simple machine. They will fix any issue u might have, if any. They know all the flaws by now. Finally, Geely’s input ($€£) would makes us feel safer with more R&D. Gd Luck and Welcome to z Club.

Dear Hakim0v,

Thanks for the prompt response!

Will take a week or two to think again. Although my decision is kind of already made.

I am just trying to investigate one last time before I throw some years of saving by the window....

Regards,