free hit
counters
S3 renovation - Page 4 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sandwer

S3 renovation

Lots of years ago i read about a guy in the US who had bought himself a new Saab Turbo, and to protect the car from thieves he invested in an expensive stereo system! The point was that he had detectors for doors and windows, and probably a movement detector inside the cabin as well. And when (not if) somebody broke in to the car, the stereo started to play a tape that said "You have unlawfully entered my vehicle, and if you don't get out again within ten seconds you will be facing severe injury." When the ten seconds were up a unit connected to the stereo sent a VERY loud sound through the expensive speakers. I don't remember how many dB (there was a number), but it was said that it would for certain destroy the persons hearing permanently. And depending on the the physical condition of the goon it could even inflict more dangerous injury. I believe that if someone tried a stunt like that in Norway, it would be the car owner that would face the judge, and not the goon. But it might give an OK feeling anyway :-)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Geir, it'd be the same in the UK. After the initial shock of finding the car with broken glass and without a steering wheel, I did contemplate a few things like that. Mostly electric shocks or a taser of some description, but also one of those devices that shopkeepers use for deterring teenagers from congregating. Thinking through the idea of a 'sonic attack' (Hawkwind, anybody?), isn't there a supposed to be a subsonic weapon, or am I thinking of that Kate Bush song?

Mind you, if there was, that'd be one way of shaking loose those hitherto unmovable bolts we all come across. A subsonic screwdriver....hmmm.

The car is back, MoT'd, insured and taxed, with new glass, and what looks like a new door surround.

Guest allgoodpeter

Geir, it'd be the same in the UK. After the initial shock of finding the car with broken glass and without a steering wheel, I did contemplate a few things like that. Mostly electric shocks or a taser of some description, but also one of those devices that shopkeepers use for deterring teenagers from congregating. Thinking through the idea of a 'sonic attack' (Hawkwind, anybody?), isn't there a supposed to be a subsonic weapon, or am I thinking of that Kate Bush song?

Mind you, if there was, that'd be one way of shaking loose those hitherto unmovable bolts we all come across. A subsonic screwdriver....hmmm.

The car is back, MoT'd, insured and taxed, with new glass, and what looks like a new door surround.

What follows is somewhat disturbing:

Years ago a friend of my Dad's had aTriumph Herald - which was parked daily in a Birmingham side street. The petrol cap didn't lock in those days so it was regularly being removed for fun or syphoning.

So this guy modified a cap by gluing bits of razor blade under the edge. He never had trouble again.

Can you imagine doing this nowadays - not only would your car and you be torched, theyd be on to their lawyers faster than you can say "it's me rights, innit" - and you'd be locked up.

A mosquito (high pitched sound source use to stop yoofs congregating) should be Ok though but The Dreaming by Kate Bush should cause them to scarper (and I'm a fan).

Another friend used to let his large Alsatian sleep in the back of his car and one night (he was a taxi radio repair man) he came back to his car where some youth had leant through the window to nick his tools - he was still half in and half out making friends with the dog who was being very restrained in protecting her masters property. He quietly whispered in his ear that one word would be all it would take to rearrange his face so maybe he'd like to leave the scene.

None of this helps - I've been burgled a few times and its not nice but fun to hear other people's solutions.

I had a sierra cosworth stolen in the 80s from Luton airports "secure carpark". Another cossie owner had his nicked more than once so he installed an electric fence system inside his car so that anyone who gripped the steering wheel with the alarm on got a huge belt. I believe it got broken into again and the culprit got his just deserves but then instructed a solicitor and you can imagine who became the criminal. You could try that in an esprit but Im sure the lucas electrics would probably surrender.

Phil