free hit
counters
Restoring my Elite 503 - Page 2 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The 503 is finished and onto a new project, love this car.😀    

Engine tuned and carbs balanced today by a local company Wolves Tuning, running sweet as a nut. VID-20180704-WA0003.mp4

Post cover and door trims fitted, added some mesh to keep the bugs out. Seems to be two types of post covers plastic and glass fibre and the glass fibre ones are much better but harder to fit. En

Posted Images

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 05:26, silverfrost said:

Stunning work on that engine bay and front suspension.   This really is going to be probably the nicest elite on the roads. :unworthy:

Thanks appreciate it

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 19:29, mikeeech said:

Some really good attention to detail there. it will be really nice when done. - not that it is not nice now! :P

I've seen how nice yours is so big complement.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, Farmer Bob said:

Looks better than new Simon, I think I need to start again! Is the oil cooler OE, only I don't have one!! What colour have you painted the body?

Hi Bob cheers, The oil cooler was standard on later models. I bought the sandwich plate and cooler from lotus bits, I made the cooler mounts because I don't like the OEM ones. The colour is Stealth grey...

Looks great. Have you used flexible hose for the brake master?

I'm also interested in where you got the aircon compressor refurbished (or replaced).

:) 

It's getting there......

17 minutes ago, TAR said:

Looks great. Have you used flexible hose for the brake master?

I'm also interested in where you got the aircon compressor refurbished (or replaced).

Hi Tim, yeah I put copper tails then flexibles from master because it looks better and is easier. The aircon compressor on the earlier elites is the same as the Jaguar XJS so I bought a new one from David Manners Jaguar the best thing he is cheaper there than anywhere else sub 200 quid inc vat. Make your own new aircon hoses and get all those bits from Car builder solutions.

Thanks for the info Simon. I'll look into getting a replacement compressor. I also like your idea for the hoses so may well do the same with mine. :) 

It's getting there......

11 hours ago, Testdriver said:

looks fantastic! You also replaced the fusebox so you can use the normal fuses?

Yeah I replaced it, the old bullet fuses are a pain along with grey rubber connectors that plug into the fuse box which59ef8a01a62a3_fusebox.thumb.jpg.2a94b826479c40f78a3c6d11e008c719.jpg always seem to have melted in places,

• Like 2

This looks an amazing restoration - I've rarely seen such quality preparation! Did you create a new wiring loom?

I must have nearly passed you last Sunday - we drove up from Worcester to Dudmaston in the Elite.

Richard

10 hours ago, rjwooll said:

This looks an amazing restoration - I've rarely seen such quality preparation! Did you create a new wiring loom?

I must have nearly passed you last Sunday - we drove up from Worcester to Dudmaston in the Elite.

Richard

Hi Richard I have altered the original loom in various places. Moved a few things around such as the relays and added the motors for light pods. Let's just hope it all works. Lol

• 4 weeks later...

Doors/Handles and frames fitted, quite difficult and would like to thank Bob the farmer as his posts were very helpful and invaluable. Shimmed and spaced as bet I could get them but not perfect by any means.

door 6.jpg

door3.jpg

• Like 1

How do you intend to fit the quarter lights? I thought you'd need to do those when fitting the window frames?

It's getting there......

9 minutes ago, TAR said:

How do you intend to fit the quarter lights? I thought you'd need to do those when fitting the window frames?

Turns out there fitted after.. You shove/struggle them up from inside and bond in place, I'll let you know how I get on its the next job. Just waiting for the

windscreen Dinitrol stuff.

difficult to find anywhere actually, very limited range now of Chinese brands. 205/60 R14 is the size. just plug away into Google and see what is available your way. Falken used to have a reasonable one of the known brands. These have had reasonable reviews on TLF I believe...

https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/205-60R14

Good luck.

On 11/20/2017 at 22:53, Clive59 said:

difficult to find anywhere actually, very limited range now of Chinese brands. 205/60 R14 is the size. just plug away into Google and see what is available your way. Falken used to have a reasonable one of the known brands. These have had reasonable reviews on TLF I believe...

https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/205-60R14

Good luck.

Much appreciated. 

• 1 month later...

Clean looking engine bay! If that's the stock airbox then it shouldn't have any fitment problems.

You gonna plump for things like the timing belt cover too? I'd like one bit they're a little too expensive from SJ for my liking right now.

8 minutes ago, soldave said:

Clean looking engine bay! If that's the stock airbox then it shouldn't have any fitment problems.

You gonna plump for things like the timing belt cover too? I'd like one bit they're a little too expensive from SJ for my liking right now.

Cheers?I dont think I will put the timing belt cover on too be honest. If you want a series 1 timing belt cover I have one you can have. I had to repair it but it's ok.

• Thanks 1