free hit
counters
Restoring my Elite 503 - Page 4 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
SimonOmeara

Restoring my Elite 503

21 hours ago, SimonOmeara said:

Thanks Mike how are you getting on with your wiring? 

I have the loom done for the horns, otter switch, fans, headlamps, indicators, lift motors etc done with the relays wired up and circuit tested. This loom now has to come out for heat shrinking then multiconnectors fitted for the pod motors and at the fuse box side. I need to fashion some kind of holder for the relay holders and fuse box which makes them accessible. It would be nice for the relay holder to slot in sideways and slide out on runners...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
3 hours ago, mikeeech said:

I have the loom done for the horns, otter switch, fans, headlamps, indicators, lift motors etc done with the relays wired up and circuit tested. This loom now has to come out for heat shrinking then multiconnectors fitted for the pod motors and at the fuse box side. I need to fashion some kind of holder for the relay holders and fuse box which makes them accessible. It would be nice for the relay holder to slot in sideways and slide out on runners...

Why not use a couple of linear sliders off ebay and incorporate the fuses and relays into a smart ABS enclosure or aluminium tray with the sliders bolted it. 

That's what I was thinking... It sounds as though you have already done it!

Putting back air conditioning on my elite. Seen your post on new hoses and jag compressor, mine seem in good condition.

Couple questions , can you add a photo of belt tensioner as I will need to source one, hoping there are a few about.

also where did you source the belt.

Did you source a new aircon radiator as probaly safer for me to renew mine, did you find a good equivient. 

Finally will you use a professional to refill system and test or will you have a routine to get it operating is is it an easy process.

Thanks for any info.

On 06/04/2018 at 19:16, mikeeech said:

It would be fantastic if you could record the loom somehow - even a photo with scale?  -for other members to use your hard work measuring and replacing. I'm sure it will be an improvement over the original

8 hours ago, Robbie said:

Putting back air conditioning on my elite. Seen your post on new hoses and jag compressor, mine seem in good condition.

Couple questions , can you add a photo of belt tensioner as I will need to source one, hoping there are a few about.

also where did you source the belt.

Did you source a new aircon radiator as probaly safer for me to renew mine, did you find a good equivient. 

Finally will you use a professional to refill system and test or will you have a routine to get it operating is is it an easy process.

Thanks for any info.

Hi Robbie

Attached is a picture of the tensioner you need, they have them at Lotus bits, the belt is available from there or SJs. The compressors can seem ok but usually the clutch is knackered so check. I replaced the air conditioner radiator with one from Car builder solutions and all the parts you need for to make the hoses they supply plus they will also make them up for you as the original one is887935347_airconrad.thumb.jpg.b3a387f4f39edf7ffe3b1c902ea20046.jpgadjuster.jpg.b0d6290a8ee61765f3373d75c1f4f343.jpg20180610_164138_resized.thumb.jpg.932ec0f649910133906a623a3e98f593.jpg huge but it doesn't need to be hence I put a much smaller one on. I will use a local company to fill and check the system probably there are a few about.

3 hours ago, tom kilner said:

It would be fantastic if you could record the loom somehow - even a photo with scale?  -for other members to use your hard work measuring and replacing. I'm sure it will be an improvement over the original

I used the original loom stripped it and repaired, then altered it by extending it etc. Mine is in and finished but can help if you need any info..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tom kilner said:

I will document as best I can but my reason for doing this is to add some bells and whistles which is not just a replacement loom.  I am currently drawing my new dash up on Autocad and my fuse box will be next so practice work has stopped for the moment.

Thanks Simon thats great info and I will get cracking , so nice if Aircon works. I am sure you have working carbs but I found renewing the pump gasket in the bottom of the dellortos improved engine running enormously as they loose their shape and become over flexible, on one carb it was hardly pumping fuel. They are £16 each on ebay from a few suppliers. Pretty sure people with starting issues would also benefit. You need to turn your restoration into a book ... very informative.

Your aircon work is making me think about trying to get mine sorted. I'm missing a pump but now I know what a compatible model is :)

Need to find out why my normal in-car fans will only blow hot air first though!

37 minutes ago, soldave said:

Your aircon work is making me think about trying to get mine sorted. I'm missing a pump but now I know what a compatible model is :)

Need to find out why my normal in-car fans will only blow hot air first though!

Hi Dave, if your car is only blowing hot then it could be the dole valve that shuts the hot water on and off...on mine it's vacumm operated. I think later models it was mechanical. It's under the bonnet worth checking.

1 hour ago, SimonOmeara said:

Hi Dave, if your car is only blowing hot then it could be the dole valve that shuts the hot water on and off...on mine it's vacumm operated. I think later models it was mechanical. It's under the bonnet worth checking.

It's a good call, although on mine the compressor, condensor, receiver-dryer are all removed from the car with just the a/c unit remaining. Could it still be the dole valve though as that seems to control hot water flow into the a/c unit? Am wondering if that dole valve is stuck open letting hot water into the unit, it doesn't matter what my fan temperature is set to, it will always be blowing hot air in.

Or am I way off there?

Ahhh I remember I also have a vacuum leak going to my heater vacuum pod too which may affect things. But enough of a threadjack... back to yours!

1 hour ago, soldave said:

Ahhh I remember I also have a vacuum leak going to my heater vacuum pod too which may affect things. But enough of a threadjack... back to yours!

Hi Dave 

On these cars which is odd the dole valve is normally open and closes on vacuum. On all other lotus cars like the elan in fact most other cars jaguar etc it's normally closed. I eventually found a normally open one on ebay in America as normally open on ford cars in 60s was the thing.

So check the vacumm supply and the valve is correct and and working.

Cheers 

Simon 

Fantastic work Simon! I've just refitted new seats, carpeting and headliner in my '77. Mine wouldn't even compare to this! You've re really raised the bar on restorations. 

Keep up the good work, this will inspire me to do a frame off on my other '77 503 when the time comes.

'89 Esprit, '77 Elite 503, '72 MGB, '95 XJ12, '10 Mini Cooper, '67 Imperial, '78 New Yorker, '76 Town & Country '73 Cessna 150

Hi Ken, thanks I'm not sure its that good but enjoy the restoration,.

Was going to fire the engine up today to find I have a leaking core plug so a bit

disappointed. Thanks for compliment....👍 

The picture looks really good. It's easy to focus on the negatives, the bits you know is are not how you would want them... Heaven knows I have a list of them as long as my arm but you should reflect on a very good job so far. One of the best surely.

Bad luck on the core plug. Will the engine have to come out?

Hi Mike

Its the core plug topside between the cams at the front, a pin hole and it leaks .

Water  must settle there over the years and rotted through, didn't notice until I filled 

with coolant.

Think it can be changed in situ, never thought to change them while the engine was out.

GRRrrrr

On 17/06/2018 at 20:53, SimonOmeara said:

Finished bleeding the brakes and used a silicon based fluid OKE dot 5 which is brilliant and would recommend it.  If you have

leaks it doesn't remove paint and is US military approved which is oddly a useless bit information yet informative  😕

20180617_163012_resized.jpg

good choice installing a 'modern' fuse box 👍

and well done for the first start! 🙂

12 hours ago, SimonOmeara said:

First start for a couple years since re fitting quite pleased. Fitted electronic points and forgot run the permanent live so that held me up trying to find our why she had no spark . Good oil pressure or a least that's what gauge says. Need to time and set the carbs up 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silverfrost said:

I still can't see why a company has not made a fuse convertor for classic cars.

It would be simple to make and solve the problem of those glass fuses. 

Just a basic bit of kit that you could plug into the old glass fuse space and then add new style space fuses.  They would cost pence to make.!

Classic technologies do but they are US. I was considering doing something similar for EU though

• Like 1

It would be a great idea Mike, it has popped through my head many times. 

Also it has a place in the market, as the glass fuses can be a pain to get. 

Also some people have said why not just change to a modern fuse board.  But for the sake of orignality on not just lotus but vintage cars you can't simply put a new modern fuse board in.

This way for shows and such like you could pull the convertor out and pop the glass ones in to keep the judges happy ! 

I should of patterned it years ago lol !

I think if you got some made up they would be a good little side earner.

Easy to advertise in practical classics and such like to get the word out. 

I potentially see a strong market !

A