free hit
counters
Tyre pressures for road use? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

The general consensus is that 30psi all round is correct for track use, but what do we reckon the correct pressure should be for road use?

The info I have is misleading - coupled with a typo in my supplementary manual. It appears to be suggesting 29psi front & 36psi rear - all cold. 

Does this sound correct?

( Its a cup car on trofeos )

cheers guys

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that is a big difference dropping from 38psi on the rear for road to 30psi for track.  I appreciate that for track use you need a lower psi but I would not have thought to take it down by that much, so I'm glad I read this.  

I think I only dropped a few psi on my M4 - probably where I was going wrong!

Indeed. A decent tyre pressure gauge and an electric compressor will become your standard trackday companions. Unless you're trying to develop your calf muscles and like stamping on a foot pump for an eternity.

4 hours ago, Arun_D said:

32 psi front, 38psi rear (cold), is what the original V6S manual states. 

Thanks Arun

i read that too - but then thought about a hot summers day, after a spirited drive out, you could but in the range of 42 to 45 psi at the rear - surely that's far too high?!?!?

My two manuals conflict with each other & was going to ring Lotus direct but thought I would check what the consensus was here first. 

Cheers

Remember that tyre pressures are very tyre specific!!! The side walls on the road corsa tyres are much softer than the trofeo tyres, so you cannot compare the two pressures with each other.

The ZZR has a very stiff side wall and even though Avon say 30psi hot many of the race guys run them lower than that, ( with great results I might add)

For road use I would try the trofeo at about 28/32 cold

Hi Simon

with my V6 CUP with Trophy tires I make 32 front and 36 rear used for road and for track I decrease the front and rear in accordance with the circuit and the external temperature and of how warm

Cheers

GAS - fill ???

Would it make sense to use a gas - fill to be able to maintain the rec pressure of 32/38 in corsas on track regardless of the temp and Tyre abuse ( I read somewhere that the pressure stays constant regardless of temp)

this would save the constant pressure checks if it is as they say.

Any experience anybody ????

Please advise

Thanks Wolfi

I have asked questions about the gas for my S4 and have been told it is a bit of a sales gimmick for road cars. It may be useful for road/track use, but I think it would come down to how much you are on track.

I have only ever used air in my S4 and followed the manual and never had a problem.

I don't have the power to weight that you guys have though.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Thanks Michael - I just reckon that if good for track use to maintain constant pressure it should be ok for road use just as well considering the raise in pressure  and significant high tyre temp I  experienced at my last Trackday in Hungary at 28 C outside temp.But I just do not know if it works at all.

What is used in racing where really  exact pressures have to be maintained ???

Sorry, I would not open a separate subject because I believe that we are on the subject but I have a couple of questions - according to your experiences - about what type and brand of used equipment

1) to check the pressure of your tires?

2) to increase or be shorten the pressure (electric compressor or other)?

Cheers
42 minutes ago, NANO said:
Sorry, I would not open a separate subject because I believe that we are on the subject but I have a couple of questions - according to your experiences - about what type and brand of used equipment

1) to check the pressure of your tires?

2) to increase or be shorten the pressure (electric compressor or other)?

Cheers

To check pressure I use a small handheld pressure gauge bought at some automotive accessories shop chain ( ATU) in Austria .At home I use a compressor with hose and gauge and for track use I am about to look for 12 V tyre compressor ( should find one in the internet easily )

cheers Wolfi