free hit
counters
Diesel Scrappage - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With the prospect of an 'incentive' scheme being introduced to persuade those of us who run a vehicle fuelled by Satan's Brew to trade in our nasty, polluting, weapons of mass destruction for an EV or

My work colleague runs a brand-new Nissan leaf on a daily basis to work a round tip of 60 miles. He has to pick up his car share passenger on route, which adds say another 10 miles, there is not enoug

It's all utter bollox.  The chemicals and processes used in the manufacture of the batteries is massive - and let's face it - where does that lectric stuff come from ?!

• Gold FFM

It's all utter bollox. 

The chemicals and processes used in the manufacture of the batteries is massive - and let's face it - where does that lectric stuff come from ?!

• Like 2

Only here once

Satans fuel is the biggest cause of cancer globally and the world  goverments and health organisations know this full stop.  But how do you get people to change now that satans fuelled engines are so much a part of our way of life now. :(

Electric cars do not work properly yet for everyday folk and the cost of repairs when the batteries are fried at nearly 3K just puts so many people off, that and also the fact that the cars do not do the mileage that the car makers say, take Nissan for example, they say 70 to 90 miles on a full charge,  most are now only doing 30 to 40 miles and are breaking down on the motorways all over the place due to the lack of miles that can be done on a full charge. 

A

• Gold FFM

My leaf which should do 112 miles on a charge - never ever had anything like it.

its got 68k on the clock now - we have had it since 4k - we get 75 ish miles on a charge - its dropped by about 10 miles since new

Then on the other hand - I've never achieve mpg figures the publish either on any other fuelled car :rofl:

Only here once

I remember back in the 1990s when diesel cars in the UK were the preserve of farmers and the lowest-of-the-low sales reps (i.e. me) with their poverty spec. Astra Merit 1.7D (no turbo, no power steering, no air-con, no electric windows, etc.).

I used to frequently drive it across Europe and was always bemused by the huge proportion of diesel cars in Belgium. The motorways there were covered in slippy diesel filth and if you got stuck in the Antwerp Kennedy Tunnel traffic jam (you always did), the pollution was so bad, you almost passed out.

Diesels will never catch on in the UK I used to tell myself. Seems like it's going full circle.

• Like 1

The next thing will be particulate emissions from petrol-powered cars with direct injection.  It's causing concern with manufacturers already.

I've often thought that, if everyone had to drive a Lotus or take the bus, the world would be a better place as the only people driving would be enthusiasts with an interest in making their driving better while saving the planet.  After all, 2 or 3,000 cars a year can't do much damage to the ecosystem, can they?

• Like 2

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

EV's using charging systems are just a bridging measure. We'll be driving electric motored hydrogen powered vehicles in no time. It is (and has been for quite some time) the real target for most every motor company and many fuel companies. California is leading the way with the fuel stations but there is already a scattering of them in the rest of the world.

• Gold FFM

Coal is already very much back in the picture in Germany. They needed something to fill the void left after the closure of the nuclear power plants, so they restarted old coal plants and have intensified open pit coal mining to supply them. But I'm sure a few LEZs in cities will offset all the CO2 and soot...

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I remember the Top Gear mpg test on their track when they compared a Prius, a Ford Focus diesel and 2 other non-descript cars. The Focus diesel won hands down. They mentioned the environmental cost of producing all the batteries and the life of them and that was a killer for the Prius.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.