free hit
counters
This week's bit of fun - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

This week's bit of fun

Sparky

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Teabagging :sick: 

30 minutes ago, Sparky said:

The week may extend to something more substantial.  Following a pre-C service deep dive, the project team has snagged 26 items ranging from minor to oooh bugger.  Today I will mostly be in the Lotus position, figgering out inop heater diverters that have plenty of vacuum, and a steering column that, despite appearing securely fastened, moves around the car.  A lot.

May I suggest you stock up on plasters, tcp and copious alcohol 

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Lotus Position commenced yesterday, and required half a bottle of Tanqueray muscle relaxant last night.  So far, abrasions are superficial.

At least I'm not removing the dash.  I'd hate to have to do that.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM
45 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Yeah.  Only a complete fruit loop would do that.

Nonsense, I'm really only doing it to aid the forthcoming wiper mechanism replacement. And I can actually see the back of the wiper thingy when in the Lotus position.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

I'll 'ave that out in a jiffy. If it's still in when I get there...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

The SE continued to frustrate me today.  There's vacuum at the heater, but I suspect too little.  A few engine symptoms too, so may be pointing to the vacuum pump.  Oh joy.  Also the loose steering column is an issue I haven't seen before.  These plates (only one pictured) are extremely loose, resulting in significant horizontal and vertical movement of the column.  I'm debating using spacers to allow the securing bolts to bear directly on the bracket, but I'm guessing it's designed this way to allow the column to collapse in an impact?

IMAG1965.jpg

Starting to look like Ian's gaff now...

IMAG1962.jpg

IMAG1963.jpg

On the column, those ali castings are supposed to be secure to the car, with the column able to slide away from the driver (or really, the driver's body to move it towards the steering rack in the event of a collision). From memory, when combined with a clamp lower down, they should keep the column secure.

• Gold FFM

Yes, every one I've seen has been fine, but this one has slack on the castings.  Although perfectly secure, the column can move around a lot, especially horizontally.  In an MoT, I'd fail it.

• Gold FFM

This one's missing the entire heat shield and reflector assembly at the back of the towers.  Anyone got anything hanging around?  Cash waiting...

Also missing chargecooler front mounting bracket, so I doubt it's boosting properly; it should have blown off by now.

15 hours ago, Sparky said:

The SE continued to frustrate me today.  There's vacuum at the heater, but I suspect too little.  

Had this yesterday which meant driving to Newlands Corner in the cold. Afterwards found the non return valve in the vac line had an O ring inside which had gone sticky gluing the valve mostly closed.

Real Esprits have 100s of wires connecting the binnacle not those cheat multi-pin plugs :)

• Gold FFM

Unfortunately I think it's a weak vac pump.  Binnacle out: 5 minutes! Jealous?

• Gold FFM

Fun day.  Wrong plugs fitted - Bosch FR6KDEO, first evidenced when my 14mm socket wouldn't touch them.  Most of the vacuum hose is questionable.  And 2 pieces were joined with this solid lump.  Go figure.

IMAG1969.jpg

Note the absence of front chargecooler bracket and turbo heatshield. Nothing there at all.  The rear mounting is HUGE, forcing the chargecooler to rub on the engine cover and abrading the top plate.

IMAG1972.jpg

IMAG1970.jpg

IMAG1971.jpg

The C service has taken a back seat; I need to address these and other pressing issues first.

And I clouted my hand, twice, with a 4-pounder today.  I only have one typing finger left.