free hit
counters
Now it's the PAS pump - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Now it's the PAS pump

So I got the belt on, everything looking and feeling great. Set the tension up. All good. Go to tighten the two clamp bolts and the front one which has the adjuster attached to it, snapped off the pump body. When you look at it you can see where the shorter part of the casting has been broken for awhile. The long side just let go now. So now I am up for another pump.

Sigh. I wish when people worked on these cars that they knew what they were doing. Some people should not be mechanics.

So now I have got to bleed all the fluid out, disconnect the lines and get the pump out. All with it in the car. For a car that looked as good as it did when I bought it, there are little hidden 'Easter Eggs' all over it, it would appear.

So what is the easiest way to bleed it all? Somewhere at the rack I presume?

IMG_8982.jpg

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Fair enough. Just got to get to one of the bloody lines on the rack to loosen it to get all the fluid out. Can do with a change. Just a bugger to get to the lines.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Hi Ian,

All of mine are in good nick. Access is the problem with the engine still in the car. I suppose I should be thankful that it broke now and not when I was driving it somewhere.

I have had a look in the parts cross reference list, but can not locate the pump? Are they still available or am I going to have to get a second hand one from somewhere?

-----------

Answered my own question. Just looked at SJ's and they have them new. (Only £76 - VAT + shipping. I was expecting them to be MUCH dearer than that for some reason) I am also waiting to hear back from Steve Taylor as he may have knowledge of where a new one is in Australia.

I forgot to add that so it was with that, that I got out from underneath the car, went grrrr and proceeded to install a high mount brake light in my work ute in the canopy that I bought. Hooked it all up and it didn't work, after working when I quickly twitched the wires together.

Hmmm?

What I had done was put the wires one way when testing and then reversed them when I soldered it all together. Nothing on the packing to indicate that it only works one way. Who knew?

8 hours ago, fflyingdog said:

Doubly hilarious when the pipes shear off the rack......

All of mine is in really good nick, so I'm hoping that won't be the case.

Hi Ramjet.  1)is the piece that's broken off, a housing on the bottom of the pump body for 27 on parts page 40.25A ,the pivot bolt,   2)what is it's size?   3)what is the Allen key size for the socket head setscrews that hold the pump in position.  My pivot bolt is missing but it has held in position by 15 lbf.ft. (20Nm) and Permabond A130 to be applied to "pump and bracket fixings".  Thanks for help from anyone.

Edited by [email protected]
Error

Hi,

Yes. The piece that has snapped is part of the casting of the pump. I have just realised that I have made the same mistake as probably the person before me and have considered that this needs to be tightened after tension adjustment. It doesn't. It actually tightens on the housing before tightening on the adjuster. The only pinch bolts are the ones on the back side of the pump. I am working from memory as it is dark here now and I have just got back from Melbourne.

I can measure the size of the pivot bolt and the socket screws tomorrow afternoon.

5 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Hi Michael,thanks for saying you will get the sizes.You asked for the best way to change the fluid.Have you not got the full workshop manual?

I have. If it is in there, then I have missed it. Will have another look.

Hi Michael

I just happen to have a brand new Lotus new old stock power steering pump but is for a V8, not sure if its the same as yours. Let me know if its the same as yours and if you`re interested.

Martin

IMG_4032.JPG

IMG_4034.JPG

I'll let you know Martin. Mine is still in the car so I am not sure if it is the same. I'll see if I can get a bit more of a look at it from underneath. Maybe tomorrow.

Hi Steve,

The screw that you see in the photo is not a standard screw. I will take a photo of it tonight and post it in here. Will measure it for you as well. I presume you are talking about the bolt that goes through the square part of the adjuster?

Hi Steve,

I didn't get it measured and am off to Melbourne for the next 2 days. I will have to get it done on Friday arvo hopefully. Sorry about that.

Michael.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the bolt photo and measured it. Things not gone to plan lately.

Anyway.

The bolt is 39mm long (not including the head width)

Head suits a 13mm socket

Diameter & width of the straight section is 10.56mm x 22.2mm

Thread section is 17mm long and I would say it is M8 x 1.25mm pitch. (measured. can't find my thread gauges)

thumb_IMG_9043_1024.jpg

On 2/25/2017 at 23:22, phumy said:

Hi Michael

I just happen to have a brand new Lotus new old stock power steering pump but is for a V8, not sure if its the same as yours. Let me know if its the same as yours and if you`re interested.

Martin

Not the same Martin. Thanks for the offer though.

• 1 month later...

So I am asking a question of everyone out there who has experience with the PAS pump from the S4.

I have spent the day under the car getting the system drained. Was easier than I thought once I had a bit of a look and got nearly all the fluid out without any calamity.

But then it started. I can not, for the life of me, get the low pressure hose off the pump. I have tried everything I know and can not get it to budge. I then thought, 'Self, follow the hose up, remove the other end of it from the reservoir.' Nope. That won't come off either. I also can't move the rubber bung the hose passes through. Plus with the reservoir being plastic, I am being a bit cautious there. The replacement pump that I have has a straight piece of pipe coming out the low pressure side, so I need to retrieve the right angled one from the pump in the car to reuse.

So the ultimate question that I have is,

Has ANYONE ever done a PAS pump in the car?

I am wondering whether this needs the engine out to do, or as another option possibly is to remove the timing belt again and the camshaft pulleys to get access to the top of the pump.