free hit
counters
Buffing & Polishing - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
arbell9

Buffing & Polishing

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I do have one of those (not the same as the model shown). It is useful on the large areas but is difficult to use on the corners. I generally use it to do things like the bonnet, roof, doors and then do the rest by hand.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

I do have one of those (not the same as the model shown). It is useful on the large areas but is difficult to use on the corners. I generally use it to do things like the bonnet, roof, doors and then do the rest by hand.

Yes. It is ok but I usually revert to elbow grease. Highly recommend 'Harley Wax' - used it last weekend and it is great stuff.

banner-1.jpg

I'm also elbow grease man :lol: It's better for perfectionists :)

I think those "market buffing tools" aren't good (might be some exceptions). I have tried couple of times "professional buffing tool" (which cost if I remember right over 500euros), have to admit the result was better with this machine compared to "hand job" (no funny jokes please). Proper buffing tool is good if you going to wax old paint, which demands lot of work :)

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

I got (quite a good) one as a gift; not entirely sure they are worth the bother. The first used to slow down as the polish built up on the mitt and "went" after less than a year in a spectacular blue flash in my hands! Its replacement threw the sponge pad off after a similar length of time and gentle use.

Plus there is always the chance of a stray piece of dirt getting into the mit whilst its doing umpteen thousand revs......

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

...It is useful on the large areas but is difficult to use on the corners. I generally use it to do things like the bonnet, roof, doors and then do the rest by hand.

Hah! Ever tried the buffing machine on the Elise? :lol: Working on the Esprit is like a song... :) (at least on a G-Car :) )

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

I bought one about 2 years ago. I used it twice. It's sitting in it's box and has not seen the light of day since. They are a pile of crap.

Right then, said Fred.

Ditto Oneshot. It saves a lot of time when putting the polish on, but I revert to a good cloth for final buff.

Managed to polish all 4 cars in an afternoon with it.

I went with a black and decker 6inch sander/polisher. It is by far one of the greatest investments I have made to detail the car. For small areas I use elbow grease but for 90% of the car I use the buffer. Using the correct pad for what you are trying to do is key.

J

If you're serious about polishing then you really can't do better than aPorter Cable. Autopia will send to any location in the World and you get a cd with very useful info included in the order. Oh, if you do order one then remember you'll also need a power converter to allow for 240V to 110v .

Info here

Autopia

:lol:

I went with a black and decker 6inch sander/polisher. ... Using the correct pad for what you are trying to do is key.

Absolutely. You wouldn't want to sand your car by mistake!

Alex, if you need to practice your polishing skills, I can bring my car round any time :lol:

More speed, less haste

If you're serious about polishing then you really can't do better than aPorter Cable. Autopia will send to any location in the World and you get a cd with very useful info included in the order. Oh, if you do order one then remember you'll also need a power converter to allow for 240V to 110v .

Info here

Autopia

:lol:

This guide to poilishing is excellent

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/guides_polish.html

:)

even show a piccie of a lotus

polish5.jpg

Edited by Alex --GT3--