free hit
counters
clutch cable keeps breaking - other alternatives - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

clutch cable keeps breaking - other alternatives

As others have said, I'm quite happy to take a kit on a 'best endeavours' basis. If it fails at some point then I'll feed that back but I won't be looking for compensation, any more than I'd get from other suppliers of the original cable (which is why we are in this situation anyway).

Keep up the good work

Ant

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and support. I'm afraid that my enthusiasm for problem solving and previous posting in the esprit section has already got me into a little bit of trouble. So, in my thinking, it would be really good to put a few kits out for testing of the fitment and compatibility. From there on I should be able to hone the design for the retail version.

Could or can you get in touch if you'd like to test the fitment. Is there a personal message option?

Max

I too want one of these when available, however I have machining facilities so can make any parts needed for the rest of us. I wondered if we could use a cycle chain and sprocket, I can bush the sprocket to fit the shaft, I can also make the attachment parts if this helps.

peter

Hi Peter

I've made an updated version over the past few days and made 8. I may make another batch next week if there's the demand. 

Here's the updated version, exactly as you described. I think I can manage making small numbers in my evenings but If there's too much for me to make, then help to machine the parts would be very welcome and I should really be concentrating on my cabinet making job.

Max

IMG_2715.jpg

• Like 1

Incidentally, and with great sadness and regret, I shall be putting my Eclat up for sale/auction in the next day or so. So if anyone's after an éclat that's mechanically very good with 65K miles on it and a recent engine rebuild but needs a respray. It'll be on an Auction site.

• 2 weeks later...

After 25 years of broken clutch cables, pulley breakage and various gearbox maladies I fitted an Excel gearbox to my Elite with hydraulic clutch. I used the standard Excel gearbox slave cylinder and fitted a pull type master cylinder inside the Elite pedal box with a top up reservoir in the engine bay. Clutch pedal weight is similar to previous cable set-up. I removed the pulley to make space for the master cylinder which was mounted on a bar running the full width of the pedal box. Drilled a hole in the clutch lever and fitted a clevis to achieve 25mm of pull when pedal was fully depressed. I could get a sketch and photo's if anyone is interested.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Max, I received the kit, it took about half hour to fit and adjust etc. That was about a month ago and I can report that all is working very well. I would even say that the pedal feels smoother in use. B-)

• 11 months later...
16 hours ago, EXCEL V8 said:

Hi Guys - old thread revival:  Did this fantastic piece of kit ever get offered for sale?  I'd love to buy one.

Thanks

Pete

Max (xam69) is your man. Maybe contact him directly if you can?

I am happy to help with development and future manufacture of a kit in my own workshop, I have the machines to do it.  However I don't want to steal other people's work, it seems that the project has stalled just now so judging by the large number of viewings it is well worth reviving.