free hit
counters
clutch cable keeps breaking - other alternatives - Page 4 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

clutch cable keeps breaking - other alternatives

Just a thought....looking at my drum kit bass drum pedal....it's a ready made answer to the chain drive problem. Parts also available separately on online auction sites...or just buy the pedal for about £25..   Plenty strong enough as I kick the sh!t out of this pedal !!!  😁

regards Mike

IMG_20200107_124516.jpg

IMG_20200107_124542.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Brilliant idea Mike, but the whole assembly would be too big.  You are correct however in that the chain doesn't need to run over a sprocket - it could run in a channel like your pedal - but that is what makes it too wide.

Pete

Edited by EXCEL V8

1 hour ago, EXCEL V8 said:

Brilliant idea Mike, but the whole assembly would be too big.  You are correct however in that the chain doesn't need to run over a sprocket - it could run in a channel like your pedal - but that is what makes it too wide.

Pete

I didn't mean fit the entire drum pedal!!🙄 The chain and cam it acts upon are able to be separated and with a bit of ingenuity could be utilised. The mechanism is of similar dimensions to the existing nylon roller although I have not measured with calipers. 

Personally use flexible stainless steel cable in the original clutch cable outer. This allied to regular lubrication of the pivot wheel seems to work just fine. The original cable was far too inflexible and would eat away at the wheel and eventually the wire strands would break. 

Regards

• 4 months later...

Resurrection time.

Been giving this issue some thought having experienced a broken cable in the earlier days when my car was on the road. 

Did you conclude your design Pete, or is it work in progress?

Tony

Thanks very much for those photos Roddy - perfect.  I don't suppose you have one of the attachment to the wire rope do you?

Tony - the only bit I haven't done is to swage the fittings onto the cable - haven't bought them yet.  Having done all this work though I'm tempted to take Mike guitar hero's advice and build a cable from 7x19 stainless wire and see how long it lasts.

Pete

I've just had a message from a long term Eclat owner who says this about his cluch cable breaking on a trip:

"...the AA man arrived, proclaiming he had never seen an Eclat and that the car was older than he was. Within a hour a universal clutch cable was fitted and we were off again. The AA man said the universal clutch cable was better than the Lotus one and remains on the car."

One unrelated comment on Passion Ford says of his repair by an AA man: "He basically had a role of cable and then some metal fittings that had grub screws either side to make a suitable fitting on the end that clamped the cable.."

Can't find anything about what the AA specifically use but here is one company that does various cable kits including 'get you home' kits mainly for motorbikes:

https://www.venhill.co.uk/cables-and-components/universal-cable-kits/clutch-cable-kits.html

Not sure if this helps anyone, but interesting all the same!

Cheers, Richard

Good stuff Richard. As soon as I get some time I will get onto the case in getting something together. 
Incidentally Mike Taylor at Lotusbits has an offering. I have not seen his design but from what I understand it involves an alloy cast and works on a concentric cam principle. He has them made up and the couple of times I have asked he’s told me he is out of stuck so perhaps some of us here should get into the case and see what they involve and find out if he can have some made up. 

I've ordered some bits today:  3mm 7x19 stainless wire with an 8mm ball-stop swaged on (I can't swage balls),  1/4 UNF threaded swage terminals - stainless.  I'm going to re-make the cable using these parts in the original outer.  I've also looked at the o/d of the pulley:  The absolute maximum size for a bigger pulley is 62mm - diameter at wire position.  Any bigger than this and the wire is chafing on the pivot tube of the pedal at the top of the pedal box.  Bits should come end of next week.

The other problem that I noticed is that the pedal doesn't line up with the pulley.  Both pedal boxes I have were the same, so I've re-shaped the pedal so that the pivot point is in line with the pulley.  If lots of pedal boxes are the same the persistent chafing of the cable over the edge of the pulley could be influential in it's durability.

Pete

Edited by EXCEL V8