free hit
counters
Fire suppression system - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Fire suppression system

monkey man

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That was a long time ago to be fair and he does better with girls in his new Esprit... 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Can I get back on topic? I think the positioning of the cylinder for a system is easy, there's plenty of room in the rear engine / luggage area, but where are people positioning the release lever in the cabin?

Don't put it where I did - straight through the map pocket. I cannot remember why I put it there - it was a long time ago.

A couple of people on here have put it at the back of the door opening - which looked like a good place.

54 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

Don't put it where I did - straight through the map pocket. I cannot remember why I put it there - it was a long time ago.

A couple of people on here have put it at the back of the door opening - which looked like a good place.

I did see a picture of your map pocket handle positioning Chris :) ...very creative !

Would be great too see any pics of alternative release handle positioning and info on where in turn the cable passes through the bulkhead. I'm thinking regarding missing the fuel tank or filler pipes etc. 

4 hours ago, silverfrost said:

Some where close to hand Dean :P

....This is true Dan, but not tooooo close!

• Like 1

I am not sure how long the pull handle/operation button buttons are these things, but i would put it in the map/cubby holder large pocket between the seats under the firewall window.  out of the way but easy enough to get to, also you can the cord at the same time as looking through the window at the smoke or flames that are rising in your engine bay ..... and just pray to the lotus gods you never have to use it ! :(

A

4 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

Here's one of the installations I was thinking of

Yes, that's the ideal place for it. 

Thanks for posting that! Ill post some pics of my instal (when I get around to it)...

5 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

@silverfrost - Mine is through the map pocket, bloody stupid place. 2 inches higher would have been fine.

Ugh, have to say that is not good. Imagine those Brooklands brats getting into your car? "OOH, WHAT'S THIS?"

BANG!

I really like the inside of the driver's door mounting idea

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Can it not be inside the pocket ?  I am sure given a fire i would not mind distorting the pocket a little in the sudden panic,  Not sure how far the handle pulls though on these,  as others have said you are lucky the brats did not touch that !    A big red handle that screams " pull me , pull me "  :) 

A

4 hours ago, silverfrost said:

as others have said you are lucky the brats did not touch that

The only brats that have been inside my car are my own kids.

On 28/02/2017 at 15:31, obione said:

After 30 minutes my fire did eventualy go out...

Burnt.jpg

I'm sure this is one of the photos that convinced me to fit the fire system that and meeting Henry at the ace cafe and being told when he has passengers he points out the fire exits. Going to look at the car today see what I can find. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all 

All done and back on the road.  Was a fuel leak where the hose clamps to the carburettor. It had braided hoes fitted and i fitted black rubber things to finish off the ends. One of these popped off . It took 3 month to come loose. Took longer to get back on the road than I thought as I decided to rebuild the carburettors just in case of fire damage. Road test yesterday and today and all good. Quieter inside the car now the air box is fitted. 

• Like 1

Good news, well done. Are you going to come along to the next Herts/Essex/Cambs meeting a week on Thursday ?

if you ask me I think you've been extremely lucky not to have lost the whole lot!!

I say that because it sounds like you were stood right next to it when it started (with additional extinguishers at hand) and pulled it pretty much straight away. Had you been driving down the road I very much doubt you'd have noticed it as quick as you did and the fire would have taken more of a hold than the extinguishers could of put out...

As I say, think you're lucky, like 1 in 100 lucky!!

Onboard fire extinguishers are a great idea without any shadow of doubt, but don't install them thinking they are going to save your car, think more along the lines of it giving you a few extra seconds of time to get out of the car should the need ever arise!!

Edited by TheKevlarKid

Whilst out in my own car, I once tried to extinguish a fire on a Reliant Robin with a Halon 13 extinguisher, but on a windy day, the gas just got blown everywhere, and the thing burnt to the ground. Some may consider this a good thing, but it was a serious incident Thankfully the two elderly occupants were badly shaken up, however they got out unharmed.

For me, and for road use, I would consider an AFFF system because, assuming the fire is actually extinguished, it's less of a mess to clear up afterwards. But of course the main priority is protecting the occupants, not the car.

Margate Exotics.

When I was a marshal at Brands Hatch, the AFFF was used to smother the car/engine once the fire was out to prevent re-ignition. We never used them to actually put out a fire, I'm not sure how useful it would be. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

When I was a Marshall at Brands Hatch, dry-powder was the favourite, but of course it's really messy. AFFF is very good, as are the gases, expect they perform best in an enclosed space. 

We used to use CO2, then Halon 13, then Pyrogen, and we're currently using this on the boats -http://www.statx.com/product/stat-x-fixed-system-thermalmanual-units/

Margate Exotics.

• 3 years later...

Hi @ChrisJ

I've just purchased a extinguisher kit (however 4kg as size you got seems not available anymore). Would you share more detailed pics of how and where you installed all the components?

Thanks in advance for your help