free hit
counters
Fire suppression system - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Fire suppression system

monkey man

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks for sharing. A sobering reminder of what can happen and all credit to you for installing the system in the first place.

I have often thought about doing something similar but have never quite moved in to the action phase. I'm pleased to see your car came through relatively unscathed and that another one of these beautiful G cars gets to live another day through your foresight.  

• Like 1

@monkey man Well done for fitting the extinguisher. I've had one fitted for 30 years.

Was your plumbed in one powder or foam?

@robington - Get one today - Here's the one I've got currently fitted - clicky - I have no association with the supplier

jjc_extingusherdeal_kit.jpg

And if you are wondering where to install it, mine hides here, fits very nicely.

IMGP2385_zpsb4406216.jpg

Got mine from demon tweeks powder. Could not find a fuel leak but the distributor cap was loose bottom clip was not in place which may have caused it to run rough on choke  and not burn of the fuel when it backfired it ignited the petrol fumes which then melted  the oil gauge pipe which is under pressure and this ignited that's the flame out by the rear wheel. Won't do more till I get new fire extinguishers. Have all this at two angles on my home cctv.

11 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

Any stories of injection Esprits catching fire?

Lots of cars catch fire but one with carbs (often badly rebuilt using the same old washers) above a dizzy are much more susceptible. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
13 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

Phew. Kudos.

Out of interest, is this generally G cars that ignite? Any stories of injection Esprits catching fire?

The likelihood of an engine fire is far higher on a carbed car especially on older models with distributors and aftermarket filters. Where the fuel/air is mixed far closer to high voltage leads which, under extreme temperatures of a mid engined setup are more likely to break down and arc.

Our injection cars however, at over 15 years old, now run the risk of developing pressurised fuel line degrading and fuel tank corrosion, in conjunction with failing oil seals, perished wiring looms and corroded connectors, and turbochargers running at temperatures around 600 degrees, it's a recipe for disaster. 

The first thing I bought was the Esprit, the second a fire extinguisher. Maintenance is essential, anything in or around the engine bay that's beginning to look a little tired should be replaced, the remote fire extinguishers are a fantastic idea, as proved by John. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steve V8 said:

Anything in or around the engine bay that's beginning to look a little tired should be replaced

Bollocks. That's my missus holding the ring spanner on the other end of those awkward bolts on the way out then.

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Kudos John. Like insurance isn't it?

Have to have it. Hope never to use it. Really thankful when the worst occurs.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

John, it looks like you had the original fuel lines fitted on the carbs on your Esprit which don't look like they have been damaged at all. It would be very interesting if you could inspect them for any leaks before you do any replacement. This may be slightly controversial but I have a theory that your problem is nothing to do with ruptured fuel lines and as your extinguisher put the fire out so rapidly you'll find that none of the pipes will be leaking!

I'll explain.

@Sparky and I were talking about a problem I'd picked up on mine where by the pressure regulator on the SU fuel pump was not working correctly,  the micro switch on the pump is operated via a plastic membrane which on mine had gone very stiff and was sticking "on". The result being that with the ignition on and the car not running the pump was pushing fuel past the needle valve operated by the float  in the carb, and over filling the  chamber. There is a vent hole to atmosphere on the top of the float chamber and the fuel was being pushed through that vent and out of the carb into the air box which is of course directly above the alternator. The leak was slightly more pronounced on the carb nearest the bulkhead which is closest to the pump and gets fuel at a slightly higher pressure than the rear carb. Mine has the original air box in place so the fuel wasn't  dripping directly onto my alternator but it was still damp when I inspected it. With the filter arrangement on John's all the fuel leaking via this route  would  land on the alternator.

The other week Gary replaced my fuel pump with a new one and the problem has gone away. There was never a concern that the carbs hadn't been properly rebuilt, and that the needle valves hadn't been replaced.

So the theory is that the root cause of the problem for many of these incidents is  the pump, so please before you put it back on the road please think about changing the fuel pump, I'm sure you'll do the fuel lines anyway.

• Like 1

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

Good post from Colin.

I think his point about the original air box is very valid, and I have read similar points raised re spitting fuel on Excel posts when the airbox has been replaced.

• Like 2

There has been plenty of talk of using those air filters instead of the original set up and the problem of backfire causing them to ignite.

Glad it worked out well for you but you might want to lose those K&N filters and get a standard intake box?

buddsy

• Like 2

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

• Gold FFM
18 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

Bollocks. That's my missus holding the ring spanner on the other end of those awkward bolts on the way out then.

Is this another strange 50 shades euphemism??

• Like 2

Only here once

@monkey man: so glad you managed to save it. 

I am getting my S1 back on the road. About ready to put in the fuel and start it. 

Your lesson has motivated me to pause for a moment, take the built-in fire extinguisher out of the box, and install it BEFORE I try to start the engine.  I will also buy a couple more handhelds. 

Thank you for sharing your story. 

• Like 1

Jim McLeskey Richmond, VA USA

• Gold FFM

Very happy to hear both you and the car are OK! Dust it off and try again (after finding and rectifying the cause of course).

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

2 hours ago, monkey man said:

Hi all didn't get the chance to look this weekend have new fire extinguishers at the ready and parts on order so won,t be long before it's back on the road.point taken about the air box this will be going back on.

And it will improve performance too. It is never a good idea to suck in the hot air from within the engine compartment. The original airbox is just better.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, gvy said:

And it will improve performance too. It is never a good idea to suck in the hot air from within the engine compartment. The original airbox is just better.

Yep thats right.

I do understand why people go for the pancake type filters as they do look much more sexy. I think the trouble is back fires cause fuel to sit in the filter medium and having fuel filled sponge just above the hot engine is a recipe for disaster.

Onwards and upwards though. Glad it wont take much more to get fixed up again.

buddsy 

• Like 1

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777