free hit
counters
Warped Discs - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I noticed some juddering and noises under braking from the rear so took the car to Lotus Silverstone today. Somehow I've managed to warp the rear discs!

My car is a 2015 (65 plate) with circa 8,500 miles and one track day under its belt back in August and still about 9mm of rear pad material left.

I always drive the car in sport, including on the track day and it doesn't really have a hard life so seems strange they've warped.

Does this sound normal?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best way to fix them is to give them a jolly hard time.  The problem is that its quite hard to do on the road especially with rears.  As others have said, its not the disc is out of true

It wasn't a hot track day and tc was hardly doing anything.

Bear in mind the td was back in late August so it's done quite a few road miles since with no issue until the last few weeks

Have you been sliding it around a lot recently? Sport does give you some slip before it intervenes. Otherwise, it does sound very odd - but are they going to replace your discs under warranty? If so I wouldn't complain...

Sorry if you've done a few trackdays but you didn't use your handbrake between sessions did you?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Very Very strange indeed. Moreso that it's the rears too. 

As Samo says above, the V6 handbrake operates on a separate drum setup internally, so the usual first port of call is ruled out.

Very often I'm in Sport on track for a safety net, and I've not had any issues in either of my V6. 

Good grief! No offence meant, but it's 2017 already and people are still using the term "Warped Discs"? If anyone needs a 101, this article's not bad...

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

It's really all about prevention, building up a good even transfer of friction material onto the discs. However if you are unlucky enough to deposit material unevenly, often accelerated by holding the pressure after stopping with very hot discs, then you may be lucky and be able to wear it back off with use, if it's light. Otherwise its time for a skim or new discs. Skimming is fine unless the discs are otherwise shafted, e.g. cracked or collapsed between ribs. This grey cast iron stuff is properly resilient, being relatively simple as alloys go.

Only done one track day and haven't been sliding the car around.

The discs weren't replaced under warranty as I assumed they were consumables? They set me back about £180 each plus labour 

Edited by Alex L

Indeed they do but seeing as I was already at Silverstone having the problem diagnosed I decided not to shop around and just have them replaced for convenience.

Is it worth speaking to Lotus warranty department?

If Martyns attached article is correct (and I have no reason to believe that it isn't), then you should be able to fix the problem your self by cleaning the disc surfaces. What you would use I am not absolutely certain. Might be as simple as emery paper to remove any attached brake pad material?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

You may have some success with emery and brake cleaner. You can usually see where the stationary pad has "printed" onto the disc. Wear some rubber gloves though, brake cleaner dries your skin out and in general it's all that great for you. The liquid is mainly naphtha.

Concentrate on the "print" and try gently "erasing" it with emery or wire wool wetted with brake cleaner. Worth a try.

Also, you will generally find that a concerted bedding in procedure will get rid of irregularity if it is slight, probably due to the high temperatures breaking down the thick bits and helping to build up the rest of the layer.

Good luck

The best way to fix them is to give them a jolly hard time. 

The problem is that its quite hard to do on the road especially with rears. 

As others have said, its not the disc is out of true its that the pad material has not transferred to the disc in a proportionate manner. 

A hard time, is 20-30 full stops (just before ABS activation) and you need to be able to smell them and the discs will turn light blue.

Alternatively,  what i do every year is take the disc off, apply a light emery paper and then go and transfer new pad material.

£180 a disc isn't too bad though. Imagine if you had the rotors, £2k a set

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 03:05, JG220 said:

The best way to fix them is to give them a jolly hard time. 

The problem is that its quite hard to do on the road especially with rears. 

As others have said, its not the disc is out of true its that the pad material has not transferred to the disc in a proportionate manner. 

A hard time, is 20-30 full stops (just before ABS activation) and you need to be able to smell them and the discs will turn light blue.

Alternatively,  what i do every year is take the disc off, apply a light emery paper and then go and transfer new pad material.

£180 a disc isn't too bad though. Imagine if you had the rotors, £2k a set

yup,  just use sandpaper to remove the pad build up. it's easy to fix and cheap if you're willing to add some elbow grease.