free hit
counters
SE High Wing C Service - Page 17 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sparky

SE High Wing C Service

It's spelt "pissing out".

• Haha 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
9 hours ago, fsrowsell said:

I must do the Head lamp conversion some day! :)

She's only been in Canada for six years! 

SIX years, wow

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sparky said:

Also, the High Wing has its own rear brake limiting valve.  ........  Perhaps even delete the limiter?  Not sure yet.

Deleting the rear limiting valve might cause problems with over adjustment of the hand brake mechanism in the calipers.

Derek, you have my attention!  Pray elucidate...

Gotcha, thanks.  The valve will stay where it is, and first fit will be without the Wilwood.

New servo and master cylinder arrived yesterday, and it appears we've solved the poor reservoir cap fit.  Still to be resolved is the sourcing of proportioning valve washers, but that probably won't apply to this High Wing.  Test fit of the servo necessitated relocation of 2 relays (instead of 4 fuses on the S4); I was able to route these to the other side of the tree.  Note also the relocated receiver/drier.

IMAG0628-20180607-083718140.jpg

IMAG0629-20180607-083647227.jpg

And the obligatory dodgy wiring.  I'll look at that later.

IMAG0623-20180607-083753330.jpg

Long family weekend coming up, so Christine will have to wait for a few days...

Have you done much DeLorean "stuff" before Gary? Interested to know what they are like under all that shiny stainless. Very Lotus?

Not sure what is wrong with your eyes Sparky, Those bottom arms look completely straight to me ! :P

8 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

Have you done much DeLorean "stuff" before Gary? Interested to know what they are like under all that shiny stainless. Very Lotus?

They share a gearbox, but that's about it.  Ride/handling/performance are polar opposites to the Esprit!

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to pictures of the Delorean!

Awesome car but not been stainless is just wrong ! The mad professor will not be happy lol 

The garage is looking much bigger than usual.

• Haha 1

Chap wrote in to Classic and Sportcar this month who worked Delorean and he confirmed the factory never painted a single car, strangely I was only reading that yesterday 

Ummm - that red one is somewhat well know I believe 

9 hours ago, Sparky said:

A red DeLorean. Discuss.

Like it, and I bet it's a lot easier to look after than a naked one...you should see the state of my draining board.

• Haha 1

That is an excessively dirty garage. You need to clean it up :sick:

Wish I had a garage that big (or even bigger)...

Saw a few clips on flutube and don't really see how bad a Delorean should drive. Is it really that bad?

I like the enormous exhaust pipes and the fresh assymetric sports tires on the Delorean, though!

Kind regards,

Jacques

Aborted the DeLorean after a few hours, having found immense amounts of corrosion.  His hopes of getting it to a show on 1 July are dashed.  This is going to cost a LOT of money.  So, pending his decision, back to the High Wing today.  Wheeeee

1 hour ago, Jacques said:

Saw a few clips on flutube and don't really see how bad a Delorean should drive. Is it really that bad?

My personal opinion:  they're awful to drive.  The PRV V6 is gutless and the car handles like a boat.  But they turn heads wherever they go.

• Sad 1

Never mind the corrosion, Get the paint stripper out and some stainless steel polish lol. 

What was the corrosion ? Chassis or generally all over the running gear ?

Chassis.  It's baaaad.

Anyhow, back on track to more depressing things.  Christine is the bitch queen from hell.  These are the lower arms I removed.  Would love to know how they were bent.

IMAG0689-20180613-200854197.jpg

I continued to the nearside bearing.  Loads of corrosion; I needed a puller to separate it from the driveshaft.

IMAG0685-20180613-20081370.jpg

IMAG0687-20180613-200829948.jpg

New bearings and arms done, just waiting for the bearing bolts before I fit the new brakes.

Thought I'd check the caliper bleed nipples as I'll be using them soon.  That's when depression set in.  FFS, it's interminable.

IMAG0698-20180613-200950760.jpg

The other side is a slightly different caliper (I have no idea), and it's rotten too.  Looks like new required both sides.

Slightly more positive - I managed to get the brake pedal out, drilled, and in again in just a few minutes, without removing the seat.  On this model, the spring assist clutch prevents the pedal pivot from moving, so must be disengaged.  The pedal is slightly different to that of the S4, I believe, but Ian's hole template is still valid.  Oh, and the pedal box is fairly bent.  Go figure.

IMAG0701-20180613-201032394.jpg

A test fit of pedal, pushrod and servo validated the dimensions, so it's all systems go for hydraulics.  Just as soon as I get some calipers.  Anyone got a decent pair of leftover TMCs from an upgrade?

IMAG0708-20180613-201105764.jpg

They are bent as some knobjockey bellend fool has jacked it up and sat it on axle stands all incorrectly

• Haha 1

Nope.  They are bent laterally.

Possibly lashed down horizontally on a trailer.

• Like 1

Oh no...Christine has been used and abused, a lot of the girls around here are bow legged too.

1 hour ago, andydclements said:

Possibly lashed down horizontally on a trailer.

Possibly Andy, but this isn't the place to discus your sexual preferences...😁

• Haha 1