Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

Seeing as how a new chapter has begun, let's start afresh. We'll begin with this article (highlighted in the DB thread by Arregueti - or Jorge to his friends) from PistonHeads which seems to be a culmination of all the recent interviews.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=30888

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

So far he's 'Combed' through the books, taken a 'Haircut' and following a 'Close Shave', he's 'Parting' with many.

I think he'll be 'Bald' and 'Gel' but let's hope he's not 'Hair' today and gone tomorrow. 

Edited by Bazza 907
  • Like 1

I thought I'd be a bit lazy and dump some of the Autocar news links to other factory/JMG reports here, too. You will have probably read these already, but indulge me while clutter up the place. Obviously a TLF version of these events can be found by clicking over to our Home Page.

JMG Appointed.

Dany dispute resolved.

Saloon and SUV?

Redundancies.

More on Saloon and SUV thoughts.

You've got to hope Jean-Marc was happy with his wardrobe choice on that press day back in May. This photo of him is used again and again and now seems to be the stock default picture.

lotus-boss-new-2.jpg

I was on a US blog a few months ago when that picture first appeared. There were squeals of delight at the new Ferrari-esque Lotus concept car and requests to build it asap. That would solve all their problems. And they weren't being ironic....

Yes I remember these but sadly JMG is not going to spend cash he doesn't have on federalizing the Exige S as it would require  a lot of paperwork and the sacrifice of almost a dozen car and a cost in the tens of millions.

According to the previous article:

"On that point, contrary to a recent story, Lotus is not pulling out of the US. It says it will not build a 2015 model year Evora while it works on a compliant car for 2016 with the right airbags".

{I tried to C&P this quote but it wouldn't let me. Sorry}

SO us yanks can expect a US-compliant Evora in two years? Once that is done could we see the return of US-compliant Elise and Exige's to the States?

~&~&~

One thing that could bring more notice of Lotus in the US, IMO, is the return of a Lotus factory team to US touring car racing such as the Pirelli World Challenge,  ALMS, and whichever series' is replacing the old IMSA/GTP racing, as well as seeing a couple of privateers in SCCA.

But that's just me.

KW

• Like 1

You won't even have to wait that long. It's the 2016MY which will be fully compliant and the year changes are usually done around late summer/early autumn (fall) of the preceding year. So that's 12 months or so.  In the meantime there are plenty of current edition Evoras on USA shores waiting for new owners.

JMG has been bringing to an end some Lotus Racing programs, last year it was the Rebellion Racing, this summer Lotus LMP(Kodewa). So only  Lotus WSR (Charouz), Lotus F3 (Motorpark) and of course Lotus F1 team (Genii) I don't think we'll see Group Lotus back in GT racing (be it with a works team or semi works) before some of these licensing agreement are terminated.

What Advantage says.

MJK said that the biggest problem with selling to the US was dealing with their ever changing regulations. It was one of the reasons that the Evora exhaust not originally was so poor as they didn't have enough money to develop different ones for different markets (on the first models) so developed one that met California Standards, which are some of the strictest in the world.

then there's their airbag rules (rumours this will increase as well) and their "Lemon Law" which is a nightmare for any car maker and even worse for a small company.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Surprised at the negativity over on PH. Or maybe I shouldn't be?

Not sure it's negativity, maybe more rounded viewpoints. There is definitely an element of rose coloured spectacles on one make forums, so somewhere like PH will always give you a slightly more brutal appraisal of any news.

I can certainly see a relevance in this quote as it's something I could have written myself:

Great, in other words "we'll continue to churn out small plasticy things that only appeal to a very narrow slice of the market".  Genius.

The market has moved on - the majority want performance *and* luxury... and are happy to pay for it.  I'd have written a cheque for the new Esprit already if it was available; Bahar may be many things but he actually made me take notice of Lotus for the very first time.

I mourn the news there will be no Esprit. I guess McLaren will be where I go next.

I attach links to some additional press coverage, to feed the discussion:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/industry/why-latest-lotus-survival-plan-makes-sense-me

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lotus/88742/exclusive-new-lotus-ceo-talks-suvs-esprit-and-the-future

And a quote from Salvador Dalí, the Spanish painter:

"Lo importante es que hablen de ti, aunque sea bien" (The important thing is that they speak about you, even if they say good things) :D

Ok we are now done with a Lotusless Paris Autoshow media coverage. Next is Geneva... 6 months to go. Gosh I hope Lotus throws a few tidbits our way. And I hope the downsizing does not reach the 325 terminations mark,but we'll know soon about that. I'm kind of surprised that the company is waiting on the Lotus Elise Cup R (road version) but I guess they may make a formal announcement at the upcoming Autoport International show in January 2015 as it's essentially a motorsport car, thus clearing the way for the Lotus Evora 400R to be the point of focus in Geneva. 

That's Mike Duff who wrote the troublesome piece about Lotus pulling out of America. Looks like he's got some real info this time rather that incorrect speculation. Thanks for the link :)

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

"Two thirds of our sales are now over $70,000 - one third Evora and one third Exige, so there you are."

One third Exige and one third Evora... So that  another one third for Elise and the track only cars. 

How much can you change the existing platform?

"There is a tub and there is a subframe where you have the engine, so you can do virtually everything. You're going to see in the next four to six months that we've worked on many things to broaden the appeal of the platform, and to make more variants available to market."

Is he hinting that Elise is getting new VVA underpinnings cause as far as I know Elise sits on the "small platform" which is a single piece tub and no front or rear subframe.

And beyond that?

"If we look long term, four to six years in the future, then our partner is Proton. Proton is a volume manufacturer and has parts modules we could use for future models... You've heard that we are already investigating other types of vehicle like saloons and crossovers, and that's a distinct possibility. I wouldn't exclude anything now at the moment. I would only exclude anything that doesn't fit the Lotus brand."

Front drive Proton based Lotus... Anybody here fancy a Satria with a skin job!?

I seriously hope it means Proton is well into their own version of the Youngman T5. Cause the rest of the Proton range is pretty inadequate for sale in the european or north american markets even the concept cars showcased on their corporate website look straight of a bad 80' telenovela: http://corporate.proton.com/en/Concept%20Cars.aspx

The problem is that Proton is a third tier OEM with regional reach and not a global player. Their most high profile implantations outside Malaysia are Taiwan, Australia and the UK. Most of their current cars are based on old platforms purchased from Chevrolet, Subaru, Mitsubishi... Not really something Lotus can afford to be seen build on to propose a premium feel to its clients.

Edited by NedaSay

Is he hinting that Elise is getting new VVA underpinnings cause as far as I know Elise sits on the "small platform" which is a single piece tub and no front or rear subframe.

Elise and Exige have a rear steel subframe.  That is how they bolted the Evora rear subframe to the Exige to make the V6.  Also how Hennessey bolts on a new rear subframe to add a twin turbo V8.

• Like 1

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

JMG seems to know what he's talking about.  And the new Evora sounds good.  It's great to have some clarity and direction at last :).

Yes think so but don't you think that all these plans were already there before he even started at Lotus it is a bit of look how good Tata is doing at Land Rover/ Jaguar but in reality Ford did all the hard work before without taken the credits.

I think most of the things are positive using the existing platform(s) is good mostly because nothing much to improve there and there are no real new developments regarding platforms. What is needed is a "new" Elise just rebody the exsting car or use the evora tube. Not because the car is not good enough but because people want to see something new. But for now we have to wait and see what will be shown in the next couple of months.

Elise and Exige have a rear steel subframe.  That is how they bolted the Evora rear subframe to the Exige to make the V6.  Also how Hennessey bolts on a new rear subframe to add a twin turbo V8.

I stand corrected.

I'll be honest - i like the cut of his jib.  

No he's not promising hydrogen power hyper cars but the plan seems realsitic - lets get back onto a even keel and then see where we are.  

The evora is still a stunning car even by modern standards and when i pull up in my 4 year old version no-one believes that it's not brand new.   Likewise the V6 exige is still stunning and delighting customers. 

People are still paying full list for both evora and exige right now and i have no doubt that they will sell even more with some tweaks and improvement. 

The "typical" Lotus customer will buy the car, no matter if it has an "old" high sill or a narrow one.....NEW customers have to learn the products even that Lotus still exists.

2 weeks ago a woman asked me what Kind of car my Evora is (having seen the Evora several times as we park on the same permanent parking place within munich), she herself driving a 991, very impressed of the Evora......that is typical in Germany......(by the way: on the parking deck with ca. 45 places, there are ca. 7 P 991, one Bentley conv., 2 AM, several SUV´s and Bimmers, a F 430, a F 12...and one Evora....;-) you normally see in the whole parking Garage not more than 5 Lotus a year..........

I don't doubt that - but when you see the sales strategy it makes sense from a business point of view. 

If the issue isn't the products or the quality....but basically getting someone into it then the solution is more dealers, more test drives and more exposure.  Throwing money at new products won't fix the problem that 991 drivers don't have the car on their radar.