Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 122 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

One thing’s for certain then: any new Esprit can only be all-electric. The E-sprit, perhaps? So if you ever want to buy one more new ICE Lotus you need to buy a 131.

Also staggering to think that Lotus currently employs more people than the number of cars they produce each year! Each one could have its own unique builder’s plaque!

• Haha 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
29 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Also staggering to think that Lotus currently employs more people than the number of cars they produce each year! Each one could have its own unique builder’s plaque!

Knowing my luck I'd get the one built by the Accountant who thought he was being clever by only using half the parts to improve the margin!

• Haha 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• Gold FFM

This article was annoyingly Porsche heavy -  perhaps justifiably so as they are doing a lot of investment - but gave me hope... along with that nagging feeling that I've had for some time that the whole 'lectric thing may pass and LOTUS will have chased rather than led...

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

Knowing my luck I'd get the one built by the Accountant who thought he was being clever by only using half the parts to improve the margin!

Had a mileage claim refused have we?

3 hours ago, Kevin Wheeler said:

Had a mileage claim refused have we?

Nope. Just worked with some muppets in finance who could not add up with a calculator and who thought sacking people, then redistributing their work across an already over worked work force = efficiency.

Seen many a good service company ruined by a CFO who became a CEO - all about the numbers and forgetting people deliver service and customers pay better when the service is good.

• Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

There are exceptions to the general rule though Andy:animier: - I’ll have to enlighten you over a beer or 2 at the next VX national (hopefully this year🤞)

Although I do agree that many CFOs/FDs do need to widen their business vision 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Surely that must including those employed by Lotus Engineering, working for other brands/customers? Otherwise the losses would be huge!

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

"Aggresive price pegs Type 131 closest to Cayman"

Theres a great deal of Porsche reference in this article,  albeit focused on the business model.  Which seems a tad odd for an organization as unique as Lotus.  

Mind you, I'm no subject matter expert on all things Stuttgart,  but I'm around them a lot.  I myself can appreciate Stuttgart,  and what they're delivering to the enthusiast. 

In this, I 'feel' (yes I said feel) to some degree Lotus is doing themselves a great disservice by making a comparison to anyone.  Lotus is something quite unique,  and that's what makes it special.   

20 minutes ago, Jason is Chasing said:

In this, I 'feel' (yes I said feel) to some degree Lotus is doing themselves a great disservice by making a comparison to anyone.  Lotus is something quite unique,  and that's what makes it special. 

If you are implying (not trying to put words in your mouth here) that Lotus is trying to a be a "mini-me" to Porsche then I fully agree with you that they are doing themselves a great disservice. Not through any hatred of Porsche, but as you say, because Lotus has its own DNA that attracts owners. If I wanted a Porsche copy, then I'd buy a Porsche!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

If you are implying (not trying to put words in your mouth here) that Lotus is trying to a be a "mini-me" to Porsche then I fully agree with you that they are doing themselves a great disservice. Not through any hatred of Porsche, but as you say, because Lotus has its own DNA that attracts owners. If I wanted a Porsche copy, then I'd buy a Porsche!

You nailed it!

I'm definitely implying the article is written in manner which leaves that impression, and the repeated reference,  could be many things, to include the Author's SEO staff trying to draw traffic to the article.  Or even a directive given in a Board of Directors meeting.  

Either way, I'm not a huge fan of how the article is written. Or the picture it paints.

I, like you find the idea preposterous,  I like Porsche plenty,  but it's not a Lotus, you have my concurrence for sure.

• Like 1

This was quite interesting to see how the investment has been been focused on automation and production facility . I believe this is the key to make the product of a more consistent quality whilst being cheaper. Ferrari has homeboy through this 20 years ago and with Volvo/geely expertise there is a good chance this will be done.

it makes more sense to me now that they stop the production of all the models in one go as they haven’t been developed around the same industrial process.

Crunching numbers quickly, they need to go to 5000 sports car a year to make expected returns on investment. That means that not only the car need to be good and reasonably prices but their marketing and dealers will need to do a good job. Also means that they will need a few variants (we already know there are 2 engines) there will be a convertible version but I now wonder if they will also squeeze a +2.

When they did show the pictures of three cars under hood, I thought this was a 131 and then some more but now I feel like this is going to be 3 variants including different sizes. Alpine messed that up of not having other variants to capitalise on their good first year and now they don’t sell anything.

i am getting more excited despite having already too many cars!

• Like 2

On 16/04/2021 at 12:12, hedgerley said:

All this good news is making me giddy... And a production line of Evijas! Well, three.....

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/lotus/inside-new-lotus-factories/

Wow, that's going to turn the factory tour into a bit more than and hour or so chit-chat and and walkabout with @Guy Munday  :D  Going to need to invest in some golf carts! (in Evija-like body kits :thumbsup: )

On 16/04/2021 at 18:12, hedgerley said:

All this good news is making me giddy... And a production line of Evijas! Well, three.....

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/lotus/inside-new-lotus-factories/

The guys at 'carmagazine' need a new spell check

£100 million of invstement in facilities
 Find out how quality will improve on Tyope 131 

On 17/04/2021 at 19:44, exeterjeep said:

The guys at 'carmagazine' need a new spell check

Find out how quality will improve on Tyope 131 

I see that of today (25th) they've corrected the 'Tyope'  but still not got 'investment' correct ...  
 Find out how quality will improve on Type 131 

Phil           Leave me alone I know what to do - I think. 

‘We’ll move to a part-robotised line,’ explains Hewitt. ‘That drives fits, shuts and panel quality. It’s all about repeatability: our workforce is incredibly skilled but you’re never going to get the same consistency as with a robot.    Can't help but think of this ... 

• Like 1

Phil           Leave me alone I know what to do - I think. 

7 hours ago, jonwat said:

“There will soon be cars to tempt ordinary buyers, too — a cheaper sports car in partnership with Renault, an SUV the size of a Porsche Cayenne and a four-door grand tourer as big as the BMW 8 Series, to be followed by other “lifestyle” vehicles including a smaller SUV. All will be pure electric. No hybrids.”

Sounds like loads of new possibilities, I wonder how many will actually come to market. I like the sound of a smaller SUV, but the grand tourer does not seem to fit with the Lotus heritage.