free hit
counters
Future of Lotus - Page 117 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content


Recommended Posts

  • Gold FFM
47 minutes ago, exeterjeep said:

it would have to have the full aero wing though.

I cannot get on with that wing I am afraid. We're all different and should be thankful for that but it looks like something from Halfords to me and I hate it.

I came very close to buying a GT430 but it would have cost me c.£4k for an extra carbon engine hatch WITHOUT the wing.  The rest of the car, stunning.

I would have swapped engine hatches for when I went on track (with wing) or road (without wing).

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe, time will tell. I am starting to think that I am out of kilter with the majority (nothing new there I suppose) but all this talk of electric, luxury, etc and I can't help but feel we are going

Lotus staff got free hot drinks vending machines back in August, was a very welcome move and much appreciated from the people who work there. Sometimes the little things can make a big difference 👍

Selling 6 cars instead of 5 in China would be a 20% increase. There really is nothing to celebrate at this moment in time beyond Lotus's survival but hopefully it will start to make some kind of sense

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

but it looks like something from Halfords to me and I hate

better not tell prodrive then..

Link to post
Share on other sites

My last evora had the gte wing, which I think looked better than the one fitted to the gt430 - but I would want a wing fitted - not for any performance reason but just that i prefer the look.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Gold FFM
53 minutes ago, exeterjeep said:

better not tell prodrive then..

Why not? They are big boys and girls and at the end of the day the design was probably dictated by Lotus and as it's ProDrive they would have, I am 100% sure, delivered a solid, well made, glorious product.

It just looks all a bit of an afterthought. Would look fine on an Elise or an Exige, but not on the Evora. Just looks naff. But again, this is just my opinion and not meant to upset anyone.

It's probably just me. I preferred the Countach without the silly rear wing. I loved the original ducktail on the Lancia 037 and the Esprit and prefer the Esprit GT3 shape (ducktail but no big wing) to the S4S/V8 with the various stuck on appendages. 

I will admit I do like some of the "big aero" wings that owners on here have put on their Exiges and if I had an Exige I would certainly consider one. But it looks fine to me on the Exige, not on the Evora. 

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NedaSay said:

Type 131 is going to be a different animal... I heard aluminium intensive body

Blimey, that really would be different! I've thought for a while that it could be problematic for Lotus to become more 'mainstream' whilst  building car shells with fibreglass. It's ok for us enthuisiasts and perfect for small scale production but lets face it, it's not an ideal material for everyday use and bigger numbers.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jep said:

But why could they make S1 for £19k when an MX5 was circa £14k in 1998 but can't make an Elise in 2020 for £35k profitably when oppo is circa £25k? What has changed? 

Justin 

 

I think the problem was that at £19k it was never close to profitable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, exeterjeep said:

Would people buy a china made lotus? - or even a geely car badged as a lotus.

Apple phones, made wherever, maintain their Apple flavour and - as the OS - even the pips.  Presenting manufacturing as “merely knocking together the bits” – however intensely technical we know it is in practice, with machinery costing multimillions – whilst preserving “what really matters”, the brand, the image, the decisions, the magic – the core – as resident in Cupertino, is conjuring readily performed to an audience more than willing to accept it.

Ditto for Lotus?  I don’t see why not: many aspects translate from Apple fairly readily. “Brand” - of course, rooted in our “precious sporting heritage”.  Design – in Hethel, "co-located with world class Lotus Engineering”.  Dynamics - on “Lotus’s own FAA approved test circuit by our uniquely gifted and capable experts”.  Power management systems – Lotus specified and tuned. Management, key staff, image, advertising, PR  - Hethel of course.

Properly presented  - don’t ask negative questions - of course it’s British. It’s a Lotus. Who cares where the bits are knocked together.

Edited by mdavies
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mdavies said:

 

Properly presented  - don’t ask negative questions - of course it’s British. It’s a Lotus. Who cares where the bits are knocked together.

True and the Apple comparison is valid. Even the Chinese who buy Apple phones by the million consider them to be a US product.
A China-made Lotus would certainly be far more British than the MG cars sold all over Asia. They are branded as British and have a union flag on the sides but the only connection they have to Britain is pretty much a couple of Brummies drinking tea in an office near the old Longbridge factory.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

130 Evijas over 2 years at £2m a pop is almost exactly the same turnover as 1800 Elise/Exige/Evoras.

65 x £2m = £130m.

1800 x £75000 (estimated average per unit) = £135m

So yup 135m for two years...  Versus according to your own math 135m a year for all current cars 1800 cars.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, duncx said:

Blimey, that really would be different! I've thought for a while that it could be problematic for Lotus to become more 'mainstream' whilst  building car shells with fibreglass. It's ok for us enthuisiasts and perfect for small scale production but lets face it, it's not an ideal material for everyday use and bigger numbers.

Back under MJK Lotus engineering did a lot of work on metal lightweighting, Using a Toyota Venza as model for weight loss... they shed weight massively. I believe some of that work continued under DB, albeit with a skeleton team, and under JMG again.  There's nothing official about the switch to an aluminium body yet though. But got very strong hint that the new car may be even more alloy heavy than Evora... that would mean the core chassis, but also front and rear subframes and yes the body:  doors, roof, and possibly other part of the skin of the thing. JMG both hinted at full aluminium body as a way to minimize weight gains.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Gold FFM
9 hours ago, Neal H said:

I think the problem was that at £19k it was never close to profitable.

Why was it £19k then in 98? There was a one year waiting list at the time. 800 target sales was blown away. Did they just get the maths wrong? And if they did, why did they not raise the price once they saw huge demand?

I have just read a period Autocar road test from 98. Price at £19k is considered cheap - so a rise to say £22k would have been easy. Surely the calcs for profitability cannot have been that far out. 

Justin 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NedaSay said:

So yup 135m for two years...  Versus according to your own math 135m a year for all current cars 1800 cars.

Please re-check the math(s). The £130m is for only 65 Evija sales, I.e. ONE year, so similar to the 1800 current car output.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Gold FFM
8 hours ago, Andyww said:

They are branded as British and have a union flag on the sides but the only connection they have to Britain is pretty much a couple of Brummies drinking tea in an office near the old Longbridge factory.

And that's why the new MG cars come with an 8 year warranty and they work, reliably. The fastest growing car brand by sales in the UK. 

Hmmm, a Lotus built in China but with Hethel style, dynamics and heritage. OK. I'm in!

  • Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Gold FFM

The second it becomes a China built product - I’m afraid my interest drops completely.

Buy British 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

  • Like 2

Only here once

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually Vietnam is the new China for production. Expect to see export manufacturing in China decline over the next few years. It will be replaced by manufacturing for China domestic consumption though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

The second it becomes a China built product - I’m afraid my interest drops completely.

Buy British 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

Your computer was made in Britain?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I cannot get on with that wing I am afraid. We're all different and should be thankful for that but it looks like something from Halfords to me and I hate it.

I came very close to buying a GT430 but it would have cost me c.£4k for an extra carbon engine hatch WITHOUT the wing.  The rest of the car, stunning.

I would have swapped engine hatches for when I went on track (with wing) or road (without wing).

the CF (sport) tailgate from Lotus back in Sept 2018 cost around £2300 which we can swop over with the GT430 tailgate/wing in about 1/2hour.  Depending on where we are driving will dictate which tailgate is on car.

  • Love 1

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own a true British supercar the Evora GT430

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Gold FFM

That's what I would have ended up doing. You sir, have taste! :)

  • Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/02/2021 at 07:19, jep said:

Why was it £19k then in 98? There was a one year waiting list at the time. 800 target sales was blown away. Did they just get the maths wrong? And if they did, why did they not raise the price once they saw huge demand?

I have just read a period Autocar road test from 98. Price at £19k is considered cheap - so a rise to say £22k would have been easy. Surely the calcs for profitability cannot have been that far out. 

Justin 

 

My old Elise S1 was over £26k as sold IIRC, that was a ‘99 car.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.


×
×
  • Create New...