free hit
counters
Future of Lotus - Page 132 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, exeterjeep said:

Found another artists impression of the possible SUV..

''Lotus SUV, whose official name has not yet been known. On the price side, expect an entrance ticket of more than 150,000 €. With the arrival of this new 100% electric range, and in view of the production capacities of the Chinese plant, the Sino-British firm definitely sets out to compete with Porsche on equal terms. Thanks Geely!''

Lotus electric SUV (2022): heavy artillery

I’m sure that the price is way out. They’ll struggle to shift many in that bracket.

• Like 1

Only just posted that earlier, I thought it was way out. I was thinking that an SUV made in Wuhan would need to be priced at an attractive level. Look at the newest MG ZS it has a longer range and starts around £30-31k . So was hoping that the smaller SUV in a few years would be closer to £60k. Would expect the lotus 'smaller' SUV to be a bit better than the ZS though.

• Like 1

The Polestar 2 is based on Volvo's CMA platform that they also use for ICE vehicles like the XC40.  Lotus' "lifestyle" vehicles will be based on the new Geely SEA platform, so it's hard to compare in price.  As an example, the Lotus platform has 92-120 kWh of batteries, with the upcoming SUV likely being on the higher end of that, vs the Polestar 2 having 78 kWh; batteries are one of the highest material costs in an EV, especially with performance EVs that require higher amounts of expensive metals like nickel and some cobalt.  

In addition, the Lotus first EV SUV will probably be on the bigger end at midsize SUV vs. the compact Polestar 2.  The Polestar 2 is 181 inches long, which is long for its interior dimension class vs an SUV since it has a longer trunk as a hatchback.  Other competitors like the Model Y are 187 inches long.  The Lotus smaller SUV Type 134 coming out in 2025 would be the compact SUV like a Macan (186 inches) so will probably fit in that class; thus I'd expect the upcoming Type 132 SUV to be closer to a midsize BMW X5 at like 195 inches or Tesla Model X at 198 inches.  So for that bigger size, it would fit in a higher price category. 

And Lotus will likely position themselves at a higher price segment like Porsche than normal entry or regular luxury vehicles.  Lotus can't compete in a crowded price segment with needing economies of scale to race prices to the bottom.  They'll probably use their performance and exotic identity to justify the price premium, survive their low initial market share with higher margins per vehicle, and try to maintain that identity going forward and not dilute their image by entering the Mach-E/Polestar 2/Model Y price point. 

It's hard to guess a price range since the Tesla Model X is the only midsize SUV EV right now.  I'd guess it'll start at around upper 70s into 80k pounds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

They’ve just taken this image, removed the Eiffel Tower, lamp post and ‘shopped it.

Did notice the lotus wheel centres looked a bit out of alignment.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

• 3 weeks later...
  • Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Please go and do some googling. Lotus has done contracting engineering for other manufacturers for decades including chassis engineering (Aston DB9 iirc), handling and suspension setup, composites development etc etc etc etc.

Edited by Bravo73
  • Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Ah my bad, I was thinking of Lotus Engineering in the UK as different from Lotus Technology built up by Geely.  Interesting that Geely plans to scale up Lotus' engineering consulting or technology licensing business model.  I'd have thought they'd keep the tech in-house, especially for redundant use by other Geely brands.  Are there any other major OEMs that license out their tech rather than capitalize on it as a competitive advantage in sales?

• Like 1

Porsche make kettles :lol:

Siemens-Breakfast-Set_Premium-Line-2-Stu

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Strictly speaking, Porsche design kettles, Siemens make them. Looks bloody complicated for boiling a bit of water and making some coffee...  and €300 !   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254854705839

Phil           Leave me alone I know what to do - I think. 

5 hours ago, Bibs said:

Porsche make kettles :lol:

Presumably if EVO tested kettles the Porsche one would win. You can get much cheaper kettles in your average supermarket - value ranges.

• Love 1

• Gold FFM
9 hours ago, KusaKusa said:

Ah my bad, I was thinking of Lotus Engineering in the UK as different from Lotus Technology built up by Geely.  Interesting that Geely plans to scale up Lotus' engineering consulting or technology licensing business model.  I'd have thought they'd keep the tech in-house, especially for redundant use by other Geely brands.  Are there any other major OEMs that license out their tech rather than capitalize on it as a competitive advantage in sales?

Elon Musk has announced he is taking Tesla open sourced and will eschew future patents etc iirc.

Motor manufacturing has been a global operation for decades with technical collaborations being rife. Indeed, look at the hook up with Nissan and Renault. Yamaha have designed engines for countless manufacturers. In some cases the collaborations, sharing and tech exchanges lead to full blown acquisitions or mergers.

Non of this from Lotus / Geely is really new or ground breaking in terms of their business strategy.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

Yamaha have designed engines for countless manufacturers.

I believe Yahama's engine division may be a client of Lotus Engineering! 

• Love 1

Evora NA