free hit
counters
Future of Lotus - Page 137 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

These changes are not encouraging me to think about a new Lotus in the future if I am being honest.  

I am probably not the demographic that Lotus is wanting to market to as I buy as much with my heart as I do with my head. Therefore, the affection I feel for the "brand" is very important to me, and it really just feels as though Lotus has decided that as it goes forward with Lotus 2.0, heritage (cars, dealers, customers) is not valuable to them and instead they are just ruthlessly going to "chase the numbers". Yeah, yeah, I know they are creating the Heritage Showroom but that is purely for marketing purposes as far as I can see.

I don't buy the "for the drivers" strapline going forwards. I think it should probably read "we were for the drivers" as going forwards I think they are "for the accountants".

If I have understood things correctly, the First Edition Emira V6 is going to be a 400bhp car. So a little less power and a little more weight. Not something that I am finding appealing to be honest. I don't doubt it will be easier to live with. To get in and out of. To store your "must have" cup of coffee for every journey.  But a First Edition is not an Emira that I yearn to own, so currently, Lotus does not offer a product that I want and is not likely to do so for another 2 years. So what do I do in that period?

I am finding myself looking more and more at 2.5lt Coxsters as a semi sensible every day driver. I want a 2 seater convertible as a daily driver (thankfully I do not have to worry about transporting kids etc). Lotus does not offer one.

I am minded to look for a 4 door saloon daily driver. The Alfa Giulia Veloce is very tempting, but I have also seen a Bentley Flying Spur that would be nice!  Again, Lotus does not offer anything here (I don't want an EV as I regularly need to do a 300 mile each way journey and NO EV will guarantee that right now).

So, my heart keeps pulling me back to Lotus, but it is the heritage models I am looking at. An Exige 410 Sport, or a 380 Cup would be great. But as a daily driver? Similarly an Elise 250 Cup or 220/240 looks fab. But then again, as a daily driver?

So it feels like current Evora 410 Sport could be my last new Lotus car that I bought, certainly for the foreseeable future.

I know we are in a transition period, but I really do think Lotus has fooked up canning all three heritage cars at once, for a single new car that is still some months out from first deliveries. Fixed head. no convertible option (a massive failure that they did not learn from the Evora for sure!).  I really do wish Lotus well. I love the brand. I love the heritage. I love the underdog beating the shit out of cars from Germany (in the areas that are important for me for sure!). Currently, it's likely that I will not be a part of that future journey.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

I fully agree Andy…

my brand new Cup250 was supplied in September, delivered August.

it had no soft top, that arrived today. No apology, just a soft top in a box with some bubble wrap.

That didn’t order/pay for a hard top got given one free “to get the car out of the factory” those of us that did order a hardtop? Nothing.

acceptable to supply a £60k+ car with bits missing? Imagine how that would go down with Porsche owners :lol:

Oh and I paid my £2k the day after the big Emira launch… have I got any further with it? nope, still waiting for i4 information. Am I feeling warm and fuzzy about my Elise? Am I feeling warm and fuzzy about an Emira order? Also no.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• Gold FFM

Quite terrible service and to be honest, given the volumes, totally inexcusable and I know Lotus read these forums but my question is, when you read stuff like this, why don't you do anything about it? If you are doing anything about it, why is not visible in terms of actions we can see and improvements we can experience?

Times move on. Organisations change. I get that. But so do customers and their expectations and as you go to play with the "big boys" people will expect the quality to be there, not just in the cars/product, but in the service.  Given the frankly shambolic approach to spares and availability, that has been an issue for years, I am not confident that in the short term the changes required will be enough.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Trust me, I want to love Lotus more than most.

2 vx220 (as well you know, yes Vauxhall, but more Lotus than other Lotus badged cars), 2 Evora (NA and 400) and now onto my second Elise (Sport220 and now Cup250FE).

Have lotus learned and changed? No. Are they making people feel special? No.

if it wasn’t for the love of the brand, I’m sure I’d have given up by now. I discussed buying the last of the Elise run within a week of my late wife passing, that’s why it’s important to me. They know that, it’s no secret.

They mucked us about with #silvergate (interior) and inordinately high option prices (painted spoiler instead of black? £600. Painted spoiler end plates, instead of black? £600. Colour stitch? £600) and then they mucked us about with soft tops. I was promised they were to be sent out in delivery date order… imagine the frustration when cars were being delivered before Christmas with soft tops and yet still no news on mine!?

Seriously, Lotus you have to change. For everyone’s sake, not least your own.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

@C8RKHInteresting that you are thinking Coxsters, really surprised at you 🤔

I had a long hard think about the Emira and in the end decided that if I decided to go down the Lotus route again I’d prefer another Evora.

My thoughts however also get continuously drawn to another 2 seater car which is probably as rare as an Evora (I’ve not seen one on the road yet despite it being available for 2 years now) and usable every day.
Not going to reveal what it is on here to avoid the thread going more off topic, especially since I still continue to grapple with my own thoughts on whether shelling out £50k+ is still the right thing for me to do, so I’m remaining tight lipped until April😉

• Like 2

Dear

As someone that has followed the launch of the Emira with keen interest, we’re pleased to inform you in advance of some significant new Lotus website features.

To help you visualise Emira in different lighting conditions we’ve added: 

• Improved Emira configurator colour representations and different lighting conditions.
  • Video of your chosen configuration driving the iconic Big Sur in California.

And to help you with Emira finance options you’ll see:

• Finance offer examples.
  • A dynamic finance calculator.
  • Part exchange valuation.

These features will begin to appear on the Lotus Cars website from the 24th January.

Welcome to the next step on your Emira ownership journey.

Existing Emira Priority Order Customers:

If you have previously paid a Priority Ordering Fee for your Emira, please only proceed to the Reservation section if you would like to reserve another vehicle.

Lotus Cars

Telephone: 03300 948 047

Email: [email protected]

“Lotus vehicle dynamics chief Gavan Kershaw agrees. “I love the V6,” he says. “I’ve grown up with it, and it’s got a really strong character – the throttle connection and the sound, with a manual transmission and an LSD. But you jump in the four-cylinder Emira and it feels super modern and very strong in performance. It’s like being back in my GT4 race car.”

A good read for intending Emira V6 owners? Perhaps not so much.   Gavan Kershaw’s words have to be taken very seriously by all. I’d like to hear him expand on that quote. Really a choice between “strong character” and “strong performance”?  And between feeling like “his GT4 race car” - in which we know he did rather well! - and, er…….. well, not feeling like that, presumably?

Anyone in a position to request “clarification”?

AMG makes more torque even in 360bhp tune, it’s likely to be lighter (alloy rear subframe) and have faster gearshifts so I don’t expect much difference to the V6 in a straight line. If expectations are for it to be the lesser car then it’s likely to surprise. V6 is more characterful and engaging especially with a manual gearbox. I didn’t get the impression that the AMG is actually faster if that’s what you were wondering, just that the two cars will be closer in performance than the power figures suggest. GT4 race car must have more in common with V6 but perhaps he was referring to the paddleshifts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Sad to see Hoffman's with its Lotus sign taken down outside now. That's one less dealership. I hope with their planned expansion they start expanding rather than contracting soon!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Interesting... one day in the future Lotus technology may buy Lotus cars outright. It is setup LT be much bigger than LC will ever be. I'm guessing this is the result of Etika not willing to divest of their stock. Lotus is on the rise it is not quite the moment to sell. But I wonder how much funding they have contributed to Lotus cars since they inherited the shares from DRB/HICOM (Proton).

Edited by NedaSay

A Porsche IPO could make a launch of Lotus Technology seem a pretty minor matter. 

".... could be one of the world's largest stock market debuts. Analysts estimate Porsche AG could be valued at up to 90 billion euros ($102 billion) in an initial public offering (IPO),........

From the link, much current uncertainty regarding specifics but it seems relevant to Lotus  Tech. insofar as it could absorb much of whatever cash may be seeking a home in the motoring world.

But a somewhat misplaced comparison IMO.  Many of the words written about an IPO of Lotus Tech. actually address Lotus Cars in historic terms, rather than as an intending producer of future EVs with "traditional Lotus characteristics" one presumes, but not established and competing with many others. And high-tech leadership in the EV world? Didn't Lotus look elsewhere for the Evija?

For any of my pennies to be invested in Lotus Tech. I'd need to have lots of info, forward projections and convincing numbers.  Meanwhile, the Porsche possibility................   

https://www.hl.co.uk/news/2022/2/23/volkswagen-and-top-investor-steer-towards-porsche-ipo?utm_campaign=Newsroom&utm_source=AdobeCampaign&utm_medium=email&theSource=EONRM&e_cti=481268&e_ct=T&Override=1&deliveryName=DM7607

PS: Written as someone who could risk a small sum - ownership of a few of Lotus' traditional cars quite irrelevant.

Edited by mdavies

• Like 1

Evora NA