free hit
counters
Future of Lotus - Page 41 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Advantage

Future of Lotus

Recommended Posts

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

Hmmm, but often that bespoke ICE is just a "dressed up" unit from the usual suspects. You only have to go to the manufacturers websites (Alpine etc.) to see how they create the units that look bespoke.

The point here though is that a sports ca is NOT a utilitarian vehicle and the rationale, emotion, self justification etc. for buying a sports car is the not the same as it is for a utilitarian vehicle so i don;t buy that Lotus needs this or not.  The command systems that Porsche fitted in it's 996 and 997 cars were truly shite (cannot comment re later cars as have not driven one) with small buttons everywhere.  

For me, I bought my first Lotus because of it's racing history and because it was different and rare. Granted, my Lotus cars are not daily drivers but as soon as they stop being driver focused cars and become just another re-badged me too same old same old then I'll need to go and look to buy something else. I actually do not wan to be one of the masses that buys the same thing as everyone else - so that rules out a Porsche, an Audi, A BMW, A Mercedes etc.  They just do not excite (with the exception of the Porsche GT cars) me or stir the hormones in my groin!

I now I am a luggard, but I really do not get the need for all this entertainment tech in the cars, I just don't. But if that is what the mainstream says is essential for a drivers sports car then I would say that's pretty said but hey ho, who am I to disagree as I travel the world and the seven roads looking for something.... I know what my sweet dream is for a sports car and it ain't a big screen in the middle of the dash or a fancy stereo etc.

I think that is kind of the point. An SUV is not a sports car and to generate volume and revenue to support the sports car business they have to sell to another segment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, KAS-118 said:

But surely that depends upon how it operates - using it to set car's characteristic before setting off; SAT Nav when driving; Front and Rear parking cameras when travelling slowly/reversing. If other controls for heating etc and other instruments for Revs and Speed are provided - then I don't see what the issue is?

Yes I agree that for parameters you would set before driving off, that is just fine but I assume you haven’t driven a Tesla? They have a lot of incidental controls on different pages all on the same screen, many of which you might want to use whilst on the move. I don’t see any problem with parking cameras as you aren’t having to take your hands off the wheel and the cameras themselves are, effectively, your eyes whilst manoeuvring at low speed. Even screens where you change between satnav or entertainment by touching a certain area are, in my view, a bad idea as it diverts your attention from the road ahead. I wonder how many drivers have been involved, or nearly involved, in even a low speed collision because they were distracted by the touch screen. 

Further, despite us all being aware you should not attempt to reprogramme a satnav whilst on the move, I wouldn’t mind betting that very many folk do. It is a temptation just having it there, that some people can’t resist - just like a mobile phone. Maybe if the touch facility could be disabled once a car is on the move, then that would be fine. Mind you, I don’t think Tesla owners would be very happy if they couldn’t adjust their HVAC whilst moving. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

I don't see why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist. The sketches posted by Nedasay were only of the SUV interior, so that tablet-thingy is probably just a nail bar.

Because the inference was being made that ALL Lotus cars of the future needed that stuff and the argument (loose term, not physical) was being counter made that in a Sports Car you don't need it which is kind of what you are saying too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it is the SUV interior, but for crying out loud, it looks like it has been added on as an afterthought.

Our new Skoda (yes I bought one) has the screen built into the dash and I have not noticed one glare issue with it at all.

As for the Tesla interior with the up and down screen that looks to be the size of a decent TV, that could be one of the ugliest things I have seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The market demands it, therefore if you want to sell cars, you've got to have a big screen.

The bigger the better, within reason.

Floating is good as it brings it closer to the driver and can reduce glare.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the market demand it of does the market department tell you you need it?  Plenty on here do not seem to be a fan. Fine on a rep mobile like an A4/A5 or C class or 3/4 series but not on a sports car. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/09/2018 at 10:34, Bibs said:

@Gm77 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must be because of all the 400s in the area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, harrry said:

The market demands it, therefore if you want to sell cars, you've got to have a big screen.

The bigger the better, within reason.

Floating is good as it brings it closer to the driver and can reduce glare.  

My feeling is people put up with it because they think it's the only way it can be done and so don't complain. Why do I say this? Because many Merc, BMW & Audi owning friends have commented that the Alfa Giulia's dash is so much nicer not having a random tablet fixed to the dash.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Does the market demand it of does the market department tell you you need it?  Plenty on here do not seem to be a fan. Fine on a rep mobile like an A4/A5 or C class or 3/4 series but not on a sports car. 

I don't see how having the latest tech and having a great drivers car are mutually exclusive. It will only add to the appeal for most potential buyers.

 

Lotus shouldnt be trying to hark back to some kind of simpler era of the past. Now they have the resources I want them to throw the kitchen sink at it and produce the most futuristic design possible. Inside and out. Not like the new TVR which looks like the future as imagined in the year 2000. But the future now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Spinney said:

Yes I agree that for parameters you would set before driving off, that is just fine but I assume you haven’t driven a Tesla? They have a lot of incidental controls on different pages all on the same screen, many of which you might want to use whilst on the move. I don’t see any problem with parking cameras as you aren’t having to take your hands off the wheel and the cameras themselves are, effectively, your eyes whilst manoeuvring at low speed. Even screens where you change between satnav or entertainment by touching a certain area are, in my view, a bad idea as it diverts your attention from the road ahead. I wonder how many drivers have been involved, or nearly involved, in even a low speed collision because they were distracted by the touch screen. 

Further, despite us all being aware you should not attempt to reprogramme a satnav whilst on the move, I wouldn’t mind betting that very many folk do. It is a temptation just having it there, that some people can’t resist - just like a mobile phone. Maybe if the touch facility could be disabled once a car is on the move, then that would be fine. Mind you, I don’t think Tesla owners would be very happy if they couldn’t adjust their HVAC whilst moving. 😉

I haven't driven one -  but I have been in a number - the most alarming thing I found about them id the drivers tendency to demonstrate the technology by taking their hands of the steering wheel and looking at you, rather than the road, when they tell you all about it 🤪

However, it seems to me just as likely that someone will lose concentration by fiddling with a traditional heating/ventilation control, or radio, or separate Sat Nav as a large screen - indeed a large screen may have larger 'buttons' which are easier to locate.

Additionally, no-one is saying that this screen will have all the controls you mention on it. - Its possible to have a large screen for Sat-Nav/ Camera's and traditional controls for heating etc. 

But to me Lotus' are 'modern' cars - and I don't see any reason why the Driver/Car interface can't have the use of a  screen.

6 minutes ago, harrry said:

I don't see how having the latest tech and having a great drivers car are mutually exclusive. It will only add to the appeal for most potential buyers.

 

Lotus shouldnt be trying to hark back to some kind of simpler era of the past. Now they have the resources I want them to throw the kitchen sink at it and produce the most futuristic design possible. Inside and out. Not like the new TVR which looks like the future as imagined in the year 2000. But the future now.

I have to agree - its surely possible to keep the chassis dynamics - but use a modern interface. - Renault do it with the Alpine 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you really want Lotus to be modern then do away with the big screens altogether and go for voice activation.

Had it in my Jag 10 years ago:

Saying instructions is less distracting, safer, etc.

I used to press a button on the steering wheel and then say stuff like:

"Aircon on 17"

"Radio on"

"Next track"

"CD disc 3 track 4"

Etc.

You could integrate speach to Apple or Android carplay and extend to Apps like Torque etc. Saying the postcode on Navigation is easier than typing it in and much safer when on the move.

Far better to have this than a big fook off screen in the dash.

Combine it with the latest instrument binnacle screens and you could have your speedo dials etc, sat nav and then press a button to get other screens.

Go one step further and combine with heads up display and bingo. Job done.

Big screens in the dash. Big screens siliconed on the dash. Meh. So yesterday.

There is no need other than vanity or following a trend for Lotus to have a big fook off screen anywhere near the dash.

Saying that just because everyone else has one you need one is just playing at being a sheep. Lotus has a history and track record of ripping up the rule book let's hope it continues whilst still adding lightness and simplicity, it's real heritage.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to keep my eyes on the road ahead rather than the dashboard. Not that I can see the dashboard without changing my glasses. It's at that point the accident is likely to occur.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

You could integrate speach to Apple or Android carplay and extend to Apps like Torque etc. Saying the postcode on Navigation is easier than typing it in and much safer when on the move.

Far better to have this than a big fook off screen in the dash.

Combine it with the latest instrument binnacle screens and you could have your speedo dials etc, sat nav and then press a button to get other screens.

Go one step further and combine with heads up display and bingo. Job done.

I would love this. In fact I just wish that I could get someone to wire up one of the cruise control buttons as 'Voice activation' (which would trigger Siri when using CarPlay) and the increase/decrease speed buttons as volume up/down. Anyone fancy a project?

And yes, I know that the 'real' volume control button is the one that winds the window up and down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/09/2018 at 18:11, Barrykearley said:

Can you watch tv on it? Do you need a tv license for it ??

I can watch TV on my ICE in my car - standard equipment. The only requirement is that the driver must not be able to see it whilst on the move. It has a very clever screen that displays different things depending on the angle you are viewing. So the passenger can see the TV while the driver is seeing the satnav. When stationary the screen allows the driver to view the TV. Once above 5mph it switches to the dual mode.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So who said that a 2000 Sport 350 was behind the times? Huh? Huh? ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, C8RKH said:

If you really want Lotus to be modern then do away with the big screens altogether and go for voice activation.

Had it in my Jag 10 years ago:

Saying instructions is less distracting, safer, etc.

I used to press a button on the steering wheel and then say stuff like:

"Aircon on 17"

"Radio on"

"Next track"

"CD disc 3 track 4"

Etc.

You could integrate speach to Apple or Android carplay and extend to Apps like Torque etc. Saying the postcode on Navigation is easier than typing it in and much safer when on the move.

Far better to have this than a big fook off screen in the dash.

Combine it with the latest instrument binnacle screens and you could have your speedo dials etc, sat nav and then press a button to get other screens.

Go one step further and combine with heads up display and bingo. Job done.

Big screens in the dash. Big screens siliconed on the dash. Meh. So yesterday.

There is no need other than vanity or following a trend for Lotus to have a big fook off screen anywhere near the dash.

Saying that just because everyone else has one you need one is just playing at being a sheep. Lotus has a history and track record of ripping up the rule book let's hope it continues whilst still adding lightness and simplicity, it's real heritage.

So you're basically describing the lambo/audi tt setup. If Lotus can match that then I'm all for it. It's a nice big 12.3 inch screen after all😉

Voice activation, steering wheel controls, heads up display, gesture control, big screens etc ... if they have access to the tech, then why not?

All of these things can complement each other. More choice is better. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, harrry said:

So you're basically describing the lambo/audi tt setup. If Lotus can match that then I'm all for it. It's a nice big 12.3 inch screen after all😉

Voice activation, steering wheel controls, heads up display, gesture control, big screens etc ... if they have access to the tech, then why not?

All of these things can complement each other. More choice is better. 

 

Nope. I'm describing the Jaguar XJ setup from 10 years plus ago that the Geermans obviously ripped off and 10 years later put in their skips!

To be honest, I think the whole "screens" thing is overhyped. Voice activation has to be better than pissing about with a touch activated screen. Safer too.

It just seems that everyone these days is fascinated and addicted to electronic screens. Had it in the airport earlier. Bloke walking along, head down, totally oblivious with his thumbs twirling around his keyboard not looking where he was going. At the last minute i stepped out of the way but damn, just did not move my wheelie bag quick enough so down he went. He gave me a WTF look and I just politely said "well, if were fooking looking where you were going rather than at that little screen you'd have seen me and the bag you muppet".  Surprisingly that seemed to end the conversation there and then.  Oh well, seemed like a nice chap too.

Woman drinking her fizzy wine at the posh "salmon and champagne" stall in the airport was literally wetting herself laughing.

Anyway back on topic. Screens are a distraction and if you can voice to activate you only need them to confirm the response (i.e. you can see air con has changed, the radio channel has changed etc).  Much safer and means that the designers can really play with the whole dash layout.  You might even get some heated cupholders, as no doubt that is what will be asked for next.  I always thought a sports car was about the drive. How wrong I am as even that great sports car maker Porsche seems to thing that a big ugly box weighing 5 tons, with a 747 diesel engine and 4 turbo's strapped on it is a,  errrm, well, it would seem, a Sports Car! Range Rover are no better with their "Sport" versions of the RR and Defender. How many times have the pricks who drive these things cut you up and tried to race you?

Anyway. i am obviously in the minority on this which is fine as if Lotus do go all upmarket to Ferrari and Aston prices my next car will be an Ultima Evolution Coupe and not something made in Hethel unfortunately.  i wonder what size tablet screen that has?.............

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Anyway. i am obviously in the minority on this which is fine as if Lotus do go all upmarket to Ferrari and Aston prices my next car will be an Ultima Evolution Coupe and not something made in Hethel unfortunately.  i wonder what size tablet screen that has?.............

8" double din IIRC 😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, C8RKH said:

If you really want Lotus to be modern then do away with the big screens altogether and go for voice activation.

Had it in my Jag 10 years ago:

Saying instructions is less distracting, safer, etc.

I used to press a button on the steering wheel and then say stuff like:

"Aircon on 17"

"Radio on"

"Next track"

"CD disc 3 track 4"

Etc.

You could integrate speach to Apple or Android carplay and extend to Apps like Torque etc. Saying the postcode on Navigation is easier than typing it in and much safer when on the move.

Far better to have this than a big fook off screen in the dash.

Combine it with the latest instrument binnacle screens and you could have your speedo dials etc, sat nav and then press a button to get other screens.

Go one step further and combine with heads up display and bingo. Job done.

Big screens in the dash. Big screens siliconed on the dash. Meh. So yesterday.

There is no need other than vanity or following a trend for Lotus to have a big fook off screen anywhere near the dash.

Saying that just because everyone else has one you need one is just playing at being a sheep. Lotus has a history and track record of ripping up the rule book let's hope it continues whilst still adding lightness and simplicity, it's real heritage.

I think we'll get there eventually, voice activation will be the rule in a few years probably working alongside a head up display. It is surprising to me that automakers haven't used heads up display much actually. I was looking at a video with the Senna recently and was thinking why did they had the weight instead of having a configurable HUD that could be even less invisible then their track mode display.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...