free hit
counters
Future of Lotus - Page 42 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Advantage

Future of Lotus

37 minutes ago, Vulcan Grey said:

The Lotus patent images remind me of the new Acura RDX dash

img1258593738-1527259556043.jpg

There are similarities indeed, lets just hope the dash of the Lotus SUV will not suffer from the same buttons rash. I think the massive display will be there to help with that. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I hope there's not too much reliance on the screen. Buttons are much easier to locate and operate while on the move than having to scroll through a touch screen menu.

As for the sketches and layout, they're not pushing any new boundaries here but the market place for such vehicles is reasonably conservative, so that's probably for the best. By comparison, here's the dash of the current shape Range Rover Sport:

747857347_RRS2018interior.jpg.03fc6aa4eee833d49805434b6f0f9c76.jpg

3 hours ago, Advantage said:

I hope there's not too much reliance on the screen. Buttons are much easier to locate and operate while on the move than having to scroll through a touch screen menu.

As for the sketches and layout, they're not pushing any new boundaries here but the market place for such vehicles is reasonably conservative, so that's probably for the best. By comparison, here's the dash of the current shape Range Rover Sport:

747857347_RRS2018interior.jpg.03fc6aa4eee833d49805434b6f0f9c76.jpg

I think it will be as reliant on screen as the new Volvo cars are, no more and probably no less.

• Like 2

So, we all know that Lotus are intending to (belatedly) produce an SUV.

However, with both a new Alfa Coupe https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/alfa-romeo-giulia-coupe-pack-641bhp-f1-hybrid-tech a new Peugeot  Coupe https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-paris-motor-show/peugeot-e-legend-concept-unveiled and Toyota waiting to produce a new Celica/MR2 https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a23320497/new-toyota-celica-mr2-proposed/ I can't help but wonder if there's signs that the 'SUV Craze' may be flattening out - if not declining|?

If so - should Lotus not be considering an Evora/Elite replacement - i.e, a 'proper' 2+2 for those who want something a  bit more 'everyday' then their current offerings - but still close to the driving experience?

I love to see Toyota bring back the MR2.  What a great car, light, nippy and just enough (real world useable) grunt to make it fun. Maybe it could’ve done with a bit more? We need more light cars current crop are getting too flabby. I don’t care if you wack a big engine to keep the power to weight ratio similar. When it comes to handling there is no substitute for lightweight.  So Toyota, what ever you create, don’t make it too heavy please! 

Regarding the SUV market.  Yes it’s getting increasingly crowded but you could say that about the hot hatch market and saloon market, there’s loads of models to choose from. I think SUV are becoming (if not already) the defacto vehicle type to buy so I think there is space for new models.   

Also with leasing being very popular these days as opposed to buying the car outright via your own money or loans. People will be swapping cars every 3-5years so will want to go for the emperors new clothes, which hopefully will be a shiney new Lotus SUV! 

Hopefully this new interest in sports cars will make the case for Lotus to still carry on making great sports cars and not change the mould too much. 

1 hour ago, KAS-118 said:

If so - should Lotus not be considering an Evora/Elite replacement - i.e, a 'proper' 2+2 for those who want something a  bit more 'everyday' then their current offerings - but still close to the driving experience?

If it is a proper 2+2 then what you are asking for is akin to an Elite/Eclat or Ferrari Mondial.  Nothing at all to do with an Evora/Exige in my opinion but a separate class of car. 

I had an MR2 Roadster (well actually I had two), such a fun car to drive - felt light and nimble, great handling and balance too. It was def underpowered but that also meant you had the enjoyment of being able to drive it on it's limits.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

If it is a proper 2+2 then what you are asking for is akin to an Elite/Eclat or Ferrari Mondial.  Nothing at all to do with an Evora/Exige in my opinion but a separate class of car. 

I wasn't aware I mentioned the Exige? 

I agree that the Evora isn't a 'proper' 2+2, however, it was conceived as a 911 rival - which can get adults in the back - so yes, given the age of the Evora, the fact that the new Esprit is supposed to be the Hailo car, if Lotus wants a model line up to match Porsche (which apparently Geeley do) then the Evora replacement would seem the candidate to be the 2+2 whatever it ends up being called 🙂

I'm going to say that any new Lotus 2+2 coupé needs to be front-engined and rear wheel drive like an Excel. And this is coming from someone who has both an Evora 2+2 and a Ferrari Mondial 2+2 in the garage. I love mid-engined sports cars and have a wife and two kids, whom I need to bring along. However, history puts me in very much a miniscule new car sales demographic.

My eldest child is already topping out in the back seat of the Evora. The Mondial is relatively spacious, primarily because it is a cabriolet, but I imagine the coupé version is also pretty much a no-no for adults, with the associated headroom and ingress difficulties.

The Evora engine is already unfashionably located transversely and almost over the rear axle, so I don't see how a mid-engined 2+2 coupé that is spacious enough for 4 adults and yet still posess the dynamic qualities of a premium mid-engined sports car could be designed.

On a side note, that original design sketch of the Evora showing 4 adults sitting comfortably in the car still makes me laugh!

• Like 1

Building a new Elite would not or will not be the most difficult thing for Lotus to do. They just need to make a business case for it and I don't think it would be hard for Popham and Co to convince Quinfeng and the higher ups at Geely to bankroll it, if the SUV delivers on its target. They have a design that is not so old: 

2014-lotus-elite-1.jpg

And Polestar  is about to release the 01 which in its own right is a very appealing 2+2 coupe

Polestar_1_Geneva_2018_01.jpg

I could see Lotus using some modules of the 01 to expedite the development of a new Elite in a few years time. The Lotus line up should look a lot different and a lot wider in 2030. Remember JMG's product plan, it did include the 3 current sports cars in redux form + one  then two SUVs and a sport luxury sedan. With the firepower of Geely group Lotus can execute that vision with up to date tech.

Edited by NedaSay
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nathan Pitman said:

Not seen that before - that nose is very Lotus 7 isn't it!

Really !?!

Donato Coco's Danny Bahar era Lotus Elite intent prototype presented in Paris in 2010. alongside this : 

2015-lotus-eterne-news-car-and-driver-ph

On 19/09/2018 at 04:05, Vulcan Grey said:

The Lotus patent images remind me of the new Acura RDX dash

img1258593738-1527259556043.jpg

Why has it got a touchpad for crying out loud?

Video description says its to be released in 2014, so there must be few secondhand ones kicking about on auto trader 😉

@ramjet I think thats just s a display not a touch screen?  Well thats what I would hope so, as they've positioned it so far back I'm not sure my arms would reach that far?

17 minutes ago, electro_boy said:

Video description says its to be released in 2014, so there must be few secondhand ones kicking about on auto trader 😉

@ramjet I think thats just s a display not a touch screen?  Well thats what I would hope so, as they've positioned it so far back I'm not sure my arms would reach that far?

Down the bottom of the console. Not the top. Little bit in front of the cupholders.

If you don't have gimballed cupholders in a sports car, won't you just get your expensive Soy Latte Frappachino sploshing out of the cup and onto your gentlemen or lady parts?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ramjet said:

Screen is too far from both driver and passenger's reach so touch pad. Because rotary dials and buttons are so yesteryears and you want to scroll and click on a touch pad while driving at speed.

7 hours ago, ramjet said:

Those touchpads are really bad!  I tried a Lexus NX200t and it had one of those... Seemed totally impossible, but it was a short test drive.

Read a review of the Acura RDX, and that was one huge complaint.

Though the knob systems are really bad as well.  Hate the Audi MMI.

I added a touch screen Pioneer Appradio to my old Acura, and am very used to it.  I do prefer a glass capacitive touch screen (like a phone) to a knob system for navigating through thousands of songs on my phone/iPod.  I just added a iPod adapter to my old 2004 Porsche PCM2 system, and you use the knob and several other buttons to select songs.  Talk about a huge distraction!  But it's about the only way to add an AUX input or iPod to the old car.